Looking for a way to get certified through a legit group

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Killbot, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Hello All,

I live in the USA, just south of Pittsburgh PA.

I've practiced Modern Arnis for three years and switched to Kali and have been doing that for the last 2. So I've been at this for about 5 years now. (also been doing BJJ/MMA for about 4 years). I know my stuff, have gone to tournaments and done well, but don't have an official affiliation.

Can someone offer some suggestions for instructor certification? I'm not opposed to video certification. (hey, if its good enough for Lloyd Ervin, its good enough for me :p) However, I am strongly opposed to the "Buy my DVDs and hang up this certificate that comes with it" type things.

Due to just becoming a father recently, travel is limited. I'm willing to, but I can't go to far for too long. So PA, MD, VA, OH, KY are doable if its not many trips.

Anything that might help is welcome. I've scoured the internet and only found a couple of doable things.

Thanks much!

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I'm assuming you have an instructor or instructors, but you are looking for some seal of approval from an Org?

Most organizations are going to have their own curricullums which you would need to learn their curricullum. I don't know of any generic organization that certifies people to be instructors, wait, maybe I do:

http://mararts.org/members.htm

I will say that I think the function of this particular org is pretty silly.

3. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

lol...yeh, thats kind of what I'm not looking for.

The story here is this. I had an instructor for awhile. I learned all the stuff I could off of him, but just ended up pushing him past his limit, I think. He wouldn't spar, wouldn't work combos, etc....just obsessed on technique, footwork and power. ( I also train MMA, so I'm at home with intense sparring and think it teachs you more than repetative drills can.)
    Anyways, I had to move on from there.
    So I found a Kali instructor. He was good and things were going well, but then his life went to hell in a hand basket and he had to quit teaching and moved away.

So here I am stuck with a stack of knowledge and no lineage. The area I'm in is small, so I know I'm reaching when it comes to this subject.

I'm teaching the basics of what I know to the guys at our BJJ/MMA school who are interested. But I don't want to be that guy that people think learned stuff from watching KungFu movies in his basement and is just some dweeb. I'm not. I know what I'm doing, I know drills, tactics, principles and teach pretty well.

I guess what I need is someone to vouch for me. I'm willing to work at it to do it, but I'm not gonna go back through 5 years of training just so some guy can collect monthly dues and have me drive 3 hours twice a week to do it.
    "Seal of Approval" sounds kind of needy, but thats kind of what I need. But I'm willing to prove myself, just not get run through the ringer again.

Thanks!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Killbot,

I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear, but... If you feel you need a seal of approval, you're probably not ready to teach. And I say that only because I went through precisely the same thought process (in the same geographic area and regarding the same styles, coincidentally enough).

It took a great weight off my shoulders when I reached a point that I thought my teaching either spoke for itself or didn't. Arnis is less governed and regimented than some other styles. Though Modern Arnis is probably one of the more regimented ones. If the kali you're referring to is Inosanto lineage, I don't think there is a certification just for Inosanto's kali content. I think it's just the full-on instructorship structure for JKD Concepts (or whatever).

We have a Modern Arnis group in Northern Virginia. The teacher hasn't been promoting people with belts. And my own belt is from Doce Pares. I've never promoted anyone either. (No interest in getting into that mess.) But any time you want to come down for a practice, know that you're welcome.

I don't think that what you're asking for is unreasonable. Someone vouching for you is valuable. I just don't think it needs to be anything as official as a certification or belting system. I usually just describe my teachers, not any sort of ranking.

I hope that helps.

Stuart

5. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Thanks man! I appriciate the input...and the invite. :cool:

Basically I am pretty happy where I am at, I just thought it might help in getting some more students and some exposure. And yeh, I don't do belts or anything. I think my teaching does speak for itself in that my students learn quickly and become good, intelligent, tough fighters pretty quickly compared to some other's I've met. And I'm just happy to pass along what I know. So, teaching isn't beyond my level. Its not a psychological need for approval. Its more a professional associational relationship or someone respected to vouch for me I'm searching for. But I get what you're saying, I just don't think it applies.

BTW, theres a KaliSilat camp in March '09 at Hybrind MA in VA Beach. Thats one I found trolling the nets. Close to you in case you're interested.

Thanks again! I'll keep looking and see what I can dig up.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think the Modern Arnis teacher I know is only allowed to promote people to first degree black or something. Not real clear. But if you want to be put in touch with him, lemme know. Perhaps you guys can talk.

Stuart

EDIT: Oh, and you're very welcome, mate. As I say, if you're ever down this way, by all means touch base.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Inosanto issues seperate instructorships in Kali & JKD (my old teachers had both). Probably not what Killbot is looking for, though, as it would probably take at least five years to reach the lowest level of instructorship. Just thought I'd mention that there is such a thing as a Kali-only instructorship from Guro Inosanto.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I stand corrected.

Jerk.

;)

9. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

@killbot, what style of kali are you in right now?

10. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Right now, nothing as there are no teachers anywhere in the area anymore. I'm taking what I've learned so far and adapting some BJJ and MMA into it, and always trying expand on what I've learned through whatever sources I can find. (Its working out pretty well.)

It was JKD Concepts/Kali and Modern Arnis.

thanks!

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Given your interest, you might want to look seriously at the Dog Brothers and see how there certification process works. Its sounding like their material might be right down your alley.

http://dogbrothers.com/index.html

12. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Hey Killbot,

One nice thing about most americans, they could care less about "lineage".
    They just want to know if your knowledge is viable and how well you can relay it and if they can adapt to it.
    If you want to open your own club,you do have one american curse to deal with first and foremost..... insurance! The ONE thing that can defeat ANY martial art system!
    BUT, they(insurance companies) don't usually ask for "lineage" and certifications.

If you want to be certified and connected with a group,more than likely,they are going to run you through their syllabus(for some..they just want to run your bank account and franchise their own greed)

One thing you can do is write up a syllabus based on what you have learned.
    It doesn't have to be recognized by anyone major,just the people you want to train.
    Once you have done that,you now have 2 choices: 1-stick to teaching small and not worry about anyones approval or 2- don't be afraid to put yourself out there and stand by what you have to offer.
    If you are good enough,people will come to you.

Alternatively; take your syllabus to someone who is established and show them what you have to offer and see if they will endorse you.

You will find in america,a lot of established clubs have no lineage to speak of.
    They may have started out that way,then went on to do their own thing.
    We HONOR our instructors,but we don't have to follow a lineage.
    MOST of our "lineage" instructors broke away from the tradition at some point themselves. Or,at the very least, someone in their lineage did.

All this garbage about "you MUST have a lineage all the way back to the homeland" is pure bollocks.
    ( in a lot of cases, the correct phrase would be FRANCHISE.)

I hope this help shed some light on your question..

For what it worth,it is the same thing I am going through when I return to ohio ;-)
    :cool:

13. Ballisong

Ballisong Valued Member

Atienza Kali

Hi Killbot,

There's an Atienza Kali group down in Philadelphia the contact details are,

sethkanner@aol.com

917-842-4558

lot's of sparring with those guys if you want.

As far as becoming an instructor, you need the Guro in Phili to sponsor you and for you to set up a training group where you are and meet the requirements, which aren't to taxing and can be found on the website

atienzakali.com

Best of luck

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Generally speaking if your looking for approval you may well have to go through another groups syllabus, but there are a few knowledgable individuals out there that I am sure if you took your syllabus to them and demonstrated what you do, if it is worthy I am sure they would approve it.

But you say you need approval, why? After all some people say , ok this guy has no linage, that usually refers to someone who has learnt from video or on the occasional seminar. I have approved guys in such a way in the past by going over their syllabus with them, looking at who they have trained with in the past, that's your linage by the way, who you have trained with so if you have not trained with anyone then yes you have no linage, so the linage thing is not rubbish. Everyone who has learnt from someone has it whether they want to admit it or not.

But at the end of the day, if you are happy with what you are teaching and your students are happy and you are open with them, you dont need anyones approval.

Best regards

Pat

15. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Ap has it right. If you are good enough, you don't need no stinkin' certificate. If you're not good enough yet, what you need is a good instructor who will work with you at your level, building on what you've got.

Certificates you can make on any printer. Heck I've got one from a real good escrima guy, and I ain't all that good. Now, my current instructor doesn't have any certification that he will admit too. But he's awesome. So you can see how I feel about certificates.

16. El Nene

El Nene Valued Member

I'm surprised no one has addressed that point.

That camp is conducted by MasGuru Greg Alland. You can get certified there. It is ideal for people in your situation. If your stuff holds up and speaks for itself, then his certification is worthwile in your hands, and you get a full fleged curriculum to work from, if you care to use it.

Some people from the ealry days of Kali in the US seem to have something against him, in a way based on politics sometime haveing to do with money, and I come across people who have never met him, heaven forbid fought him, that talk trash as well.

But, he has been around a long time with the biggest and best, crossed sticks and hands with many, and is an effective and generous teacher. Google him & you'll finad all you want or don't want to know.

Given your circumstance it's ideal.

Rick

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Greg goes back a looooooonnnng way and has trained with some of the best out there, I am sure he will have a look at what you have and give any advice and tips and possibly support if required. But the only way to find out really os to touch base with him.

Best regards

Pat

18. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to put this on top of my list. A. its the most doable and B. I trust your guys' recommendations.

19. El Nene

El Nene Valued Member

On the mater of certification which comes up in all martial arts...

Many years ago I was a 2nd degree BB in Karate. I was content with that, I believed in had tried and tested my skills often and taught for others. I didn't care for further certification, though I kept up my training and skills. I saw many students go from white to black belts in a few years, no problem. I moved away, trained elsewhere, then was invited to a testing of a former student who was testing for 4th degree BB.

They asked me since I was apparently skilled enough and qualified, why I wasn't testing for higher ranks. I just wasn't interested. When I asked why they felt they had to go for this higher "certification" I got an answer that surprised, amused and illuminated me. The guy said one word, while looking at me like I was stupid: "Marketing!"

Like with the Zen Koans of old, I got it. Personal development requires no approval, but business development often does. Not good or bad, just business. People will go to an accountant who got an MBA from Yale over someone who went to the local "Institute."

Even after "certification" it still comes down to what you got and what you can deliver as an instructor. I come across many that have great paper, technically surpass my humble training, with umpteen sahes and stripes on their belts, and are absolute fakes, if not only minimally trained and skilled.

I'm sure a lot of practicioners here have great skills and little "certification." Personally we should be secure in that. Some can even parlay their own individual skills apart from lineage and certification succesfully into the business side of things.

There's no shame in completing the picture for yourself business wise, while continuing to develop personally.

20. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

I can see that. And I guess thats kind of why I'm wanting to do that. I'm more excited about getting a chance to train with someone better than me as that opportunity is not available very often here. I'm really excited to hopefully learn something new.
    But if I'm being honest with myself, I can say a cetificate of accomplishment dosn't hurt one bit to add to my website.

Also, I looked up that Greg Allan guy. Boy, some people out there r-e-a-l-l-y don't like him.