Looking for a good gym in NH Mass(usa) area

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by tokyo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

Hello everyone

I am looking to start studying muay thai. I am 24 years old and not in great shape. I don't have weight I need to lose, but rather would benefit from building body mass. I am willing to devote an hour a day to working out, to start, and can schedule at least two daytime classes a week.

I've noticed there are a few gyms in the boston area, which is about as far as I am willing to travel(1hr). I live in Hampton NH, so I feel like boston would probably be my best bet for finding a good muay thai gym.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Muay Thai gym in Boston - Portsmouth area? I will go look at a few before deciding, but I probably won't be able to go to all of them.

I also had another question. Part of the reason I want to study muay thai is to get in shape and give me an activity that will encourage me to stay in shape. So I was thinking of doing the P90x program to help get in shape, especially in te beginning. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I know a couple people who have tried it, but couldn't stick with it. But I feel if it works the way they claim it does it would be a good option, because it focuses on both strength and flexability.

Thanks

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I honestly can't help you with this one - don't know of many gyms in america. although there are many, the average quality is fairly low in the USA so you're far more likely to land in a bad gym. Take a look at this mob for example.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Qy67zQF9g"]YouTube - muay thai student testing[/ame]

Probably the worst case scenario I admit but I've honestly never seen anything like this lol. Best thing to do is probably send an e-mail to master toddy and just ask him for a list of decent gyms near you. It's a fairly small community and most of the decent gyms know each other.

3. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

Wow, yeah thats exactly what I'm afraid to walk into.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure who Master Toddy is. Is he someone on this forum?

4. Master Betty

Nah he's not on this forum. He's the guy who brought thai boxing to the USA in the 80's. You'll be able to find info on him pretty easily using google.

5. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

Alright, I e-mailed him.

While I wait for a response, I'm thinking of contacting some of the gyms listed on the USMTA web site for Massachusetts.

What questions should I be asking?

And if there is anyone on here who can recommend a gym in my area I would be very grateful.

6. Master Betty

It might take a while for him to reply - he's a busy man - but he has no reason to lie to you.

Well you wanna make sure whichever gym you choose produces professional level fighters who fight on shows which are sanctioned by respectable governing bodies. This means the gym will usually have training which consists largely of padwork, drills and sparring etc. If the place looks really traditional, it's probably crap. But on the flip side, if it looks like the video above it's also probably crap.

7. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Isn't sityodtong right around there? I think that would be a pretty safe bet.

8. Master Betty

I honestly don't know lol

9. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

Oh, I didn't mean that I wouldn't trust Master Toddy's recommendation. If he recommends a gym, that's the first place I'm going.

But because he is very busy and may not even be able to recommend a gym, I figure it would be a good idea to do my own research aswell.

Are there that many American Muay Thai fighters that I can expect to find a gym that has trained pro fighters?

What shows and governing bodies are you referring to?

10. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

Yeah, sityodtong is near Boston. Do they have a good reputation?

Edit:
    Here's the sityodtong website if anyone feels taking a look and letting me know what you think.

http://sityodtong.com

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  11. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Looking at their fighters and coaches page, I'd say they were a pretty good bet! :)

12. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

Jeeez Louise, that's pretty unbeliveable! That just looks like an excuse for the instructors to beat up on the noobs! Is it just a coincidence that there is an advert on the wall towards the end for an attorney offering his service for "crimes and injuries"? I think they'd have a case on both counts!!!!

13. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

So how much does a gym membership cost on average in USD?

14. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

15. Master Betty

Sityodtong is the best bet. I'm sorry but if the people focus on sanshou but also train thai boxing then theres one reason for that - they cant produce enough decent fighters to compete in thai boxing. It has a far larger degree of competition so the average skill level is higher.

Sityodtong would be my bet.

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Lol, the reason for it is because we started out as a CMA school and began specialty classes in Sanshou when it was becomeing popular in the CMA tournements. We've had around 50 national championships won by members of our school. More than any other san shou school. We've had fighters win Muay Thai championships in USKBA and other events. We've beaten fighters from Sityodtong as well. Not to knock them, they're a good school too but somebody not from this area shouldn't be telling anyone what the best bet around here is.

17. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

Well I have my free class at sityodtong on Monday morning. We'll see how it goes. I have a good feeling about it. But it seems a bit pricey. I didn't expect to be paying over $120usd a month for a membership. I guess it's worth it, but I won't be able to get a regular fitness gym membership close to home to be able to train between classes. I'll have to find ways to train at home.

18. edudley

edudley Valued Member

I am not in the Mass area. I know that for 2 classes a week where I am studying on a month to month basis is 85 a month. If I signed a year contract 75 a month.

They step up from there but I think for 1 discipline unlimited on a yearly contract is 85, I'll have to check that to be sure. I can't find the paper work here at the house, wife cleaned up and can't find anything :)

Several of our fighters are overseas in Scotland fighting in some WKA championships.

19. tokyo

tokyo Valued Member

I can't remember the exact prices they gave me. I think it was along the lines of $200+ if you pay by month or $100+/month if you pay for the year.

20. Master Betty

WHAT!? that's crazy prices!!!! My current gym charges 40 euros a month for 3 training sessions a week. My main gym in scotland only charges per session at £5 a go. Theres 3 sessions a week so doing the math that means that the most you'll spend a month is £60. Converting that to dollars means about 95 dollars. For an extra 4 bucks a month you can also get an extra training session per week without coaching.