Looking for a ba gua or Xing-I class in NYC

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by TiachiJ, Nov 2, 2003.

1. TiachiJ

TiachiJ New Member

I am looking for a ba gua or Xing-I class in NYC. Any info would be great.

2. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

not sure where this place is in NY...hopefully it'll be in your vicinity...Really good teacher...Master Su is renowned for praying mantis but also specializes in Bagua and Pachi/baji. it'll be great if you could train with him...i wish i could...oh and i'm sure Xing-yi is somewhere along his specialty also. In my opinion master Su had tutilage from one of the greatest most well accomplished traditional Kung-fu masters in the last 50 years. (Up there with Mas Oyama in terms of greatness) master Liu Yun Qiao. look up the links on that website...it'll give you more details about the wu tan organization and such. hope that helps !! oh n welcome to MAP.

http://www2.micro-net.com/~ycsu/info.htm

3. iamno

iamno New Member

search for the original students of CHENG MAN CHING. the name of CMC rolled around NYC like thunder in the late 60's - early 70's. Be careful who you go with though because everyone wants to be associated with Cheng Man Ching. ------------Type his name into search engine, there are lists of classes of his students

4. iamno

iamno New Member

oh yeah, forgot to mention-- forget about bagua and hsingi until 5yrs of Tai-Chi. Its easier to cultivate Ch'i through TC so you can take it through into other styles later.

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Ba Gua or Xing Yi

Try students of Tom Bisio:

Jan Verderlinden teaches Gao Style Ba Gua Zhang
    Steve Arvoleta teaches Tang Shou Tao Xing Yi Quan

(212) 475-0037

Best,

Steve Lamade

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I've heard great things about Tom Bisio. Both in the interal martial arts and as a Filipino Martial Arts instructor. My Kali teacher studied with him for a while. Guro Doug always said that the power of his strikes came from the integrated stepping/weight drop derived from the Chinese Internal Arts that Sifu/Guro Bisio taught him.

- Matt

7. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Ba Gua or Xing Yi

I met Doug while Tom was teaching San Miguel Eskrima about eight years ago. You're fortunate in your choice of eskrima teacher.

My take on San Miguel Eskrima (at least as Tom teaches it) is that it is an internal martial art, with principles analogous to those found in Xing Yi and Ba Gua. Of course, one might argue that Pekiti Tirsia can also be taught with those principles in mind...

Best,

Steve Lamade

8. TiachiJ

TiachiJ New Member

Does Tom Bisio still teach in NYC? I did have a old number of his, but I was told he moved. My little exposure to Ba gua and Xing-I was when I took his classes for like 3 month years ago, he was great. Oh, lhommedieu, do you think his students have group classes. Thanks for the number, I will call (oh is that the number of the students?). Eskrima and Kali are great martial arts. In a way, seems like the older masters of those arts seem to be powerfull when they age, I guess just like internal martial. You guys who brought that up, are there any good schools in NYC. Thanks again to all for the info.

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Tom Bisio currently directs a clinic that treats a variety of illnesses with Chinese Medicine, and has finished a book on treating sports injuries with Chinese Medicine, to be published by Simon and Schuster next year. He is not teaching Chinese internal arts at present.

The two individuals that I mentioned, Jan Vanderlinden and Steve Arvoleta, and students of Tom's and excellent practitioners. You can reach them through the number given in the previous post.

Best,

Steve Lamade

10. Disciple

Disciple New Member

i disagree. Though both are Daoist Martial Arts, I do not bleieve it is necessary to take a Tai Chi system first. The eight trigrams fist has its own philosophies and systems, Tai Chi systems, such as Qi gong maybe beneficial and accentuate Pa Qua Chang, but It isn't necessary to be able to do well with the art.