LOOK AT ME!!! I passed the Sakki Test!

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by althaur, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

:hail::hail::dunno:

I just saw a video this morning which had me shaking my head and rubbing my eyes. Why, oh why, do some people feel the need to make a huge dramatic announcement of their successful Sakki Test?

You're not special. A great number of us have passed it as well. Sigh. I get really annoyed by the type of person who has to make themselves out to be special. The drawn out background of the difficulties they had (as if the rest of us don't have a life outside of training). The sense of destiny being fulfilled. Have to have the dramatic music and great slo-mo replay as well for added drama.

You passed. Great!! Congrats! Now, stop making a show of it for you students and peers and get back to actual work. :bang:

My apologies for this rant, but this is a real pet-peeve of mine. I hate the "look-at-me" crowd.

In order to cut this off at the pass, I WILL NOT post a link to the video or give a name in this post. I won't call someone out by name unless they are lying or at risk of harming someone. If you're curious, you can send me a PM. If I know you and trust you, I'll let you know the info. Other than that, please feel free to share your opinions on this phenomenon.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yes. People being pleased about attaining one of their long term goals and wishing to share their excitement with others is a real downer.

3. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

You forgot to use the "sarcasm" key.

I have no issue with people being pleased with attaining a goal AND sharing it. When it is turned into a huge event, as if they are unique in their endeavor and success, it becomes nothing more than an attempt to feed their narcissism. a

Their is a huge difference.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So lets can every single graduation ball and retirement party then....and as for your birthday? Just another year Junior...Nothing special. Stop snivelling and do your chores

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

By starting this thread you went right ahead and joined the "look at me" crowd you claim to hate.

Lol.

6. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Bwahaha! I'm too old to worry about birthdays anymore. ;)

Again, those are different. Now, if I through my own birthday party or graduation ball that would be what I'm complaining about.

Is it so hard to see the difference? A graduation celebration at the school, or from one's family is completely different to the graduate setting up his own party and giving a speech about how great he is.

7. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Did I? Point out where I have made any grandiose claims about myself. I pointed out something I dislike, much like other people on here have done in other posts. The item I took issue with seems to be somewhat prevalent in our chosen hobby (MA in general).

You don't have to agree with me.

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

You started a thread just for the sake of telling everyone about your pet peeve.

9. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Touche!

I would still disagree they are the same. But, perceptions form reality.

10. Hannibal

Yet most graduates will be celebrating in their own way - as do people who get a job promotion, or finish a project or even get promoted within their own Org

Basically I cannot see your point - sure others have done it before, but does that make the acheivement any less impressive? Well, any less impressive than the sakki test already is I mean......

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

The traits you described are associated with so called "Generation Y" or "Millennials" (generally anyone born between the early 80's to mid 90's is Gen Y). They have also been described as Generation Me. They are more narcissistic and more likely to have ADHD than previous generations.

As always with these things, they involve vast sweeping ideas that don't reflect everyone in the generation. For example, I'm part of Gen Y but I don't have any social media accounts at present, and aside from these forums, I don't really talk much about myself online. Conversely, someone from Gen X or a Baby Boomer could be on Instagram and display all the same negative traits that are associated with Gen Y.

It's not likely to get any better, unless Gen Z (I'm not making this up) rebel against their narcissism of Gen Y. That said social media will be around in some way shape or form for the forseeable, so my advice is if you don't like it, do what I do and don't watch it or simply opt out of social media.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't buy this attitude of bashing this generation. I handle volunteers at my work. Some of them are teens. I have experienced a group of hard working highly intelligent impressive young people.

13. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Technically, teens these days would be a different Generation (Gen Z, anyone born post 1995) and no one has really defined characteristics of Gen Z yet. You are right though, assigning characteristics to a whole generation isn't fair on every member of that generation. Some may conform to type, others not so much.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You do ninjutsu. It's pretty much a downhill spiral from the first day.

Also, don't be that guy. You choosing to be unhappy at someone else's success or behaviour when it doesn't affect your own life says a lot about you.

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Life is full of reasons to be depressed, sad and morose all the time. The powers of humanity are eclipsed by the terrible destructive potential of the universe. What religion could have come up with something as terrifying and tyrannical as a black hole?

[​IMG]

Nothing that you do in your life, or indeed, that our entire species puts together will rival this collapsed star in scope, size or power, and, were one to occur in our immediate area there would be nothing that we could do to stop things of such beauty from being permanently eliminated.

So… y'know, don't pop anyone's balloon, because no matter what you celebrate it is futile and meaningless on any cosmic sort of scale. Doesn't matter if you're Martin Luther King Jr. or Martin King, that dude from high school who owes me $5, you've still basically accomplished nothing if viewed from sufficiently high a vantage point.

16. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Yeah, that's a helpful comment to the conversation.

I'm not "that guy". I'm happy for others success, but dislike the showboats.

If someone posts the clip of their test and says "I passed", great! Congratulations. But when they turn it into a big production with narration, music, computer graphics and talk about destiny and such, it becomes nothing but food for ego.

Last time I checked, this board is full of people starting posts with something they like or dislike. Heck, this forum was heavily moderated because of the influx of people voicing an opinion about something that didn't affect them or their life at all.

Making snide comments about someone based on the art they choose to study likewise says a lot about you.

17. Hannibal

All that shows us that they are better with a PC than I am....if I could I would have every training video I put out have "Star Wars" scrolling text, Death Metal and pyro

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Given the absurdity of the Sakki test in general, this sounds amazing!

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i get your post in general i think. but there has to be some room for meeting a goal. granted i know, meeting one goal just means getting to the next.

i was pretty happy when i got my hapkido black belt. my dad came--i think just because he wanted to see what i was up to going to the gym all the time. granted i don't even do hapkido anymore. and if, big IF, i ever get a bjj black belt, i would be pretty happy.

i hear what you're saying, but there has to be some room for acknowledging personal growth.

20. Hannibal

Why not just post the video? It is hard to discuss something without knowing what it actually is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.