Long Hair

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by svadhyaya, Jun 16, 2004.

1. svadhyaya

svadhyaya New Member

I'm not sure if this should be in the 'General' forum or here, I thought probably here because I need opinions from grapplers, not strikers...

I have very long hair (about two-thirds of the way down my back) and I expect I'll need to tie it back/up securely when I start my JJ lessons this week. Do any of you JJ'ers (is there a term for that like Judoka?) have this problem, or do you just shave it all off (my wife would hate me for that).

I have thought of a top-knot, but a friend tells me it is insulting to Japanese to wear a top-knot unless you are Samurai. That's probably a load of rubbish, but I don't want to annoy anyone in my first class.

Another idea was an Ali-G style hat, but then I would look very silly (not that I care that much, I'll wear one if it's the best solution).

All suggestions will be very much appreciated.

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I don't have long hair myself but I have seen guys who do have it training. At one comp the guys hair kept coming loose and it wasn't until he called a time out and a girl ran up and secured it (after folding it in thirds) with about four elastics at intervals that he could continue without it getting in the way. Maybe trying this would work for you? Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Do you know how to braid it?

Other than cutting it off(best way to deal with it), just find a way to keep it from bothering you or your training partner that works for you.

4. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Hi Svadhyaya;

IMPO: You need to braid it or tie it every few inches into a pony-tail for most activities. Also, wear said pony-tail inside your Gi when grappling.

Or, get used to training partners accidently pulling it out of your head w/ hands & feet.

5. svadhyaya

svadhyaya New Member

I used to help my sister braid her hair when we were kids, so I'll try that. I might see if I can curl it into a bun, but I think you need pins for that.

Thanks for the help.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

best avoid using any hard objects if you can. For the first few sessions it might not matter, but after that you definitely want to be using elastics and ties only.

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Cut it. This prevents your opponent from being able to grab it and keeps it from being pinned under you, hampering movement. Don't get me wrong, I had long hair for a long time. Guy bet me $100 that I wouldn't cut it, so I did. Then I noticed the benenfits of shoert hair. That and using someone's hair against them made me think twice about my own.

8. svadhyaya

svadhyaya New Member

Heh, if someone bet me $100 to cut it I would ask them for a pair of scissors and do it before they change their mind :) It's more a matter of not paying someone to cut it every month than a fashion statement.

As for using pins, that would be out of the question, I'm just not sure if you can hold a bun together without them... I'll ask around my female friends.

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Just tie it up. Women train too without having to shave their hair off.

10. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I survive in TKD by just pulling it back into a pony tail. Ok, so bits of it usually end up in my face during sparring, but my hair is untameable, curly, and nothing holds it back effectively, unless I was to try huge amounts of gel. Of course, I don't do much grappling where it's likely to be more of a problem, and it's only a few cm past my shoulders. If you plait it and then fold the plait under (basically in half) and secure it with an elastic to reduce the length it could work.

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention it, buns DO NOT WORK. I've come to TKD with a bun that I'd forgotten to take out, and it's never lasted through warm up, and was very uncomfortable until I had a chance to fix it into a pony tail. I imagine that you'd have problems in grappling too, especially since pins are out of the question.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  11. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

Perhaps in some way you could have it in a ponytail and hang it inside your gi?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  12. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Tie It Back with one or more Hair bands if U are doing Ne - Waza
    Tie it up high , I lost alot of Hair From it geting cought up.

If U decide to cut it do it for U & not Ju Jitsu
    What i mean By That is Ju jitsu Can be trained to meet all
    needs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2004
  13. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I just cut my hair short after having it long for 10yrs. I am very pleased because it was such a drag.

A plait is a good idea though I never bothered.

Once many years ago I was mugged by a couple of guys where one of them had hold of my top-knotted pony-tail (my head was shaved back and sides at eyebrow level). He whacked me hard in the face a few times. Adrenaline and alcohol gave me power when the second guy went for a nearby piece of wood and I swung this guy into a concrete pillar just by my hair. He let go; I got out of there.

Rgds,
    David

14. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

you do not have to shave it or anything...but I would cut it...
    especially if you are going to do some serious grappling...
    it will only get in the way...

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Personally, I keep my head pretty well shaved... any hair long enough to grab can be used as a handle. In a grappling situation, that can be used against you. Hair that is tied up or braided is an even sturdier handle!

16. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

if i were u i would get it braided even if u arent black get it braided neway...the lock it up in dreads...but in ju-jitsu u just gonna have to bear choose style or hair...im a u.s. soldier so i know ju-jitsu i would shave ur hair bald or at least high and tite

17. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

I have long hair (about mid back length) and a long goatee (9.5 inches) and I roll 2-3 times a week. My hair is shaved on the sides and back, so I tie it in a high pony tail and put 4 or 5 ties in at a fist distance apart (as my normal hair style). That works in a pinch, better than just a pony tail anyway, but when I know Im going to be rolling that day, Ill put it in a pony tail then braid it. I do the same for my beard, except sometimes I put the beard in two braids :p Hair isnt that bad to have when rolling, unless you are wrestling with people who will grab it just cause its there (thankfully nobody at my dojo). Normally in a braid, it will stay pretty much straight down your back, sometimes crawl up on your shoulder though. Ive got it caught in my armpit once and couldnt turn my head, which sucked a little, but I havent had many problems other than that one time.

I think Im going to start competition next year, and Ill probably have to shave the goat, because I does make it difficult to get your chin down when your getting choked :(

18. Yin and Yang

Yin and Yang Valued Member

So what was your final decision about your hair? I had only shoulder length hair but when you are fighting againts a 250lb guy and I was only 110, he didnt care if it hurt, he practically dragged me around the whole floor by my hair.
    Anxious to know what you decided.
    -X

19. svadhyaya

svadhyaya New Member

I ended up plaiting it and tucking it down my top, but seeing as I'm just starting out in JJ I think it'll be a while yet before someone decides to use it for a hold... I'll let you know if I try something different.

20. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Poor dear. He doesn't know the true value of long hair in grappling. Secure it with one pony-tail holder, preferably one that isn't rubber-band tight. As you grapple, your hair will come loose. This will be to your advantage in hold-downs, or even when you get stuck in the guard. It is incredibly annoying to try to get out of a hold-down with your opponent's hair in your face. :D Cheap trick, yes, but when you're the only long-term girl in the dojo, and there are guys nearly twice your size in the class, you'll try anything!