Long Distance Swim

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kuniku, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Hi All,

Wasn't sure the best place for this seeing as it will be covering several topics . . .

Tomorrow I am doing a bit of a Long Distance Swim. It was set to be a team effort, between us doing a combined 14km - which is still the goal, however in the last week leading up to it a few people have pulled out, and it looks like it is going to be just me and one other guy (unless some people turn up tomorrow to take part) so a nice gentle 7km swim each. All in the name of Charity - and not just any charity, a friends charity that he has worked very hard to set up over the last year since his brother died.

I'm looking forward to the challenge, especially as I haven't swam anything long distance since I was about 14/15 when I did my 1km badge. Up until last 2010 in the decade prior to that I'd never swam without a buoyancy aid of some sort... so yeh, gonna be interesting

As Christmas is out of the way, I was fully planning on getting back into my gym routine, which includes a lunch time session today, but with the swim tomorrow I'm not sure what I should really be doing at the gym today? So I'm looking for suggestions in the next hour and a half for that if anyone can help on that front.

Fuel - What and when should I be eating before the swim? I figure I want some slow release energy of some sort, I'm not sure if the swim will have to be non stop or not, but I've always been lead to believe eating and swimming don't go too well together... - again suggestions welcome!

Lastly - what are the rules about asking for sponsorship on MAP? I've read about event promotion rules and stuff, but didn't see sponsorship covered in there.

Love and kisses xxx

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good luck with the swim.

We're all for raising money for charity, so you could post a link to a Just Giving page if you have one.

3. Kuniku

Unfortunately there has been difficulty for my friend in setting up a JustGiving page, so we either have to do things the old fashioned way or people can donate directly via the charity website:

http://therobincancertrust.org

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

good luck!!

as for fuel starchy low fibre carbs an hour or two before should see you.

i couldnt think of a worse torcher than a 7 km swim, good on you

5. Kuniku

Morning All!

I'll start off by apologising for not coming back with news sooner. The swim was on Saturday and on Sunday I came down with something and got knocked for six =(

Friday night as far as I had been told people had still bailed and it was still just the two of us planning on getting the 14km done. Saturday morning I woke up had some wholewheat cereals and went shopping for some goggles before heading to the pool. I arrived the same time as the organiser (the other swimmer I knew about) and we were both surprised to find his dad swimming already, and that he had already swam 800m.

Further surprise happened when as we were getting ready another 4 people turned up and said they wanted to take part in the endurance swim. Suddenly it looked like we would only need to do 2km each. The organisers Dad just kept swimming until we were told we had hit the 14km mark, finishing just shy of 2.5km, the organiser didn't want to finish on less than his Dad - bragging rights in the house etc, the two of us had done 2km already (as well as a mutual friend) and the three of us were still quite fresh, so we agreed to go for the 3km each mark.

So we set off on another 56 lengths of the pool. While we were swimming the pool employee who had been marking down how much people swam came in with a total we had already hit, already being over 16km. and that our extra km each would put us up to just under 20km total. So we decided to call it quits at the 20km mark.

In total the 3 of us swam 3.312km each. 3 days later I still ache in places I didn't know I had.

I've no idea yet how much money we raised for the RCT, but early estimates suggested it was between £500-1000 =)

www.therobincancertrust.org

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Well done. Always glad to see folks supporting charities for good causes.