locking in TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 11, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

" if U want self defense don't take TKD."
    hmmm...MA is not for sport...if it's sport it's not MA...and i don't think a sport can save ur life?if u don't understand simple concept, it's ur fault not ur art's...
    the time u see any one Who do TKD u'll change ur thoughts...

-TkdWarrior-

2. HKD

HKD New Member

TKD has turned to the money which is sparing. there R some schools that work on more self defense than sparing the problem is finding them. as far as seeing anyone do TKD...... im a 3rd dan i have seen 2 or 3 people do it over the years. and have trained with jhoon rhee, Philip Rhee who is a great guy and countless grandmasters over the years. check out this months TKD times. whats your rank TKD worrior?

HKD

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"TKD has turned to the money which is sparing"
    i'll agree with this... u can see one thread which is "some serious discussion" started by me... it's very much like that..
    it's cool u r 3rd dan... i m nothing more than yellow and i m doin TKD from last 3 yrs, before that i was in MT
    i don't hav access to TKD times here in India...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Helm

Helm New Member

Well can someone explain the difference between someone who isn't very fast or strong or patriculary good at a SD art and someone who is good at TKD...and who would be better suited in a SD situation?

In any case, i believe the large majority of SD techniques taught don't have any real place in the streets..
    i mean comeon, catching a punch and tying them up in some over-complicated arm bar (even then u gotta hope they are at least not as strong as you) or from years of sparring dodge sideways and deliver a sharp kick to the ribs.

SD artists are purely dismissing sparring as SD because they dont do full contact and fail to see the benefit...

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I honestly don't see the problem with going after the money, unless you advertise it as self defense and teach stuff which is not only useless, but actually detrimental. I've seen a few schools that do this, but most of them have at least a few redeeming features.

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

helm u missed one point completely if the person is stronger than u then the arts judo, jujutsu or aikido or chin na wouldn't hav existed in first place...
    about catchin a punch
    first things punch is not a ball which u can catch as i myself hav pointed out that in my earliers posts..
    second thing u never put it in arm bar(wrestling one)...
    third thing is when u apply any wrist locking it controls ur wrist and ur ending up position is behind or side of ur attacker(so if the oppnt is powerful he don't hav much chances)
    fourth thing every techniques is done at fair speed
    fifth thing SD tacts works and practiced in almost real enviornemnt(oppnt resisting) same goes for ur sparring too..rite..
    sixth thing is that u always can't go and kick ur oppnt' or beat him up(ask police guys mostly they r trained(if ever) to control)
    even in real life u can be in situation where u just can't use kicks...

yup jimmy i agree if the person can deliver wat he advertise or wat he's askin money for...i don't see a problem here
    acc to HKD he's talkin about competition in sparring(organisations involving i guess)
    -TkdWarrior-

7. HKD

HKD New Member

what im saying is most of the TKD schools have in big bold letters self defense on the front of there schools and they mostely teach sparing, sparing isn't fighting and gives a false sence of security. theres nothing wrong with teaching mostly sparing it's just most schools bill that as good selfdefense so people go out and think they can't B messed with and when they R they get hurt. i would think it would B a very bad feeling to try some sparing combonation and C the person just stand there or just puch U off like nothing. like i said earlyer a local instructor who i came through the ranks with was beaten up by her husband she does very good at sparring and her self defense techniques are s joke at best and all her sparring didn't do her much good at all.

HKD
    P.S. im sorry if i come across a little hard on TKD it's just that is was a great art but it has gotten to money hungry and comp. driven and that will...is killing it. look at judo. 25 yrs. ago it was the great defense art, they went tward sport to gain popularity and the techniques went that way too, and it dropped off a great deal judo was once as big or bigger than TKD

8. HKD

HKD New Member

thats not true. most non-sporting arts have good and usefull SD techniques. every art will a throw away technique, something that just looks cool.
    HKD

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey HKD cool dude, i think u r pretty much rite about that...sparring is bit different...normally my teacher always shows the line b/w SD n sparring... some of his students understand some not, i think most of his students r killer in streets not much hav probs except one(my thread about Some serious discussion) from that incident most of them hav learnt... finding out balance b/w both types...
    PS HKD it's cool that u hav learnt with Rhee's, my teacher had a chance in training with GM Rhee ka hee n Master Leong then he had some days with Gen himself...
    eh Master Leong is coming soon so i'll be lookin to meet him :D
    -TkdWarrior-

10. HKD

HKD New Member

thats cool he sounds like a good instructor. But thhere are to many instructors that teach sparing and then tell people that is good SD. there people need to know there is a difference between sparring and fighting.

HKD

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Just to throw my Haggis in here.

To be fair TKD does have locking but for stuff going up to Black the majority of stuff is release from grabs. These grabs are the dated ones where someone grabs collars or lapels and even after 6 years training I don't know many "effective" ones.

To be fair on TKD is whole development reaching black belt is to block and strike ( why do you thnk you practice 3-step , 2step, 1 step??? The whole SD aspect of TKD is step-sparring. learning to attack and strike in linear and static situations. I have also practised free sparring as it is meant no pads any techniques alllowed. The problem here is finding people who can exercise control.

With Kids this is easy. In general they want to win but don't want to inflict pain on each other. With adults hormones take over a lot of the time. Sometimes it's not worth it if students haven't grasped the basic control aspect.

In general look through the patterns most of the "contacts" ie points where people are in contact more than 1 sec are releases form grabs with a counter. To say that TKD has turned to sport is only majorly true of WTF. Otherwise why does the ITF run technichal seminars throughout the year??

P.s. I'll get off my ITF high horse now