locking in TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 11, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm well as i m here...i m intended to put this place on fire ;)
    so just beware and be ready to answers :D

we do lot's of extensive drilling of locks, holds, grabs, etc etc...
    those r more of aikido types of locks where we r on stand and oppnt' is down. not much with ground work(well i m not discussing it)
    so there r one basic wrist lock which we r told to use it against punch(??)
    now u guys tells me with all ur expereince that how that lock work on a punch(assuming the punch is front jab and it's fast)
    i hav some of my observation to share which i'll share later on...

to my knowledge there is basic flaw(may be i picked up wrong) in doing the pucnh grabbing/locking technique i hav tried to correct it with all my methods and i found it working against boxer's front jab...

-TkdWarrior-

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

damn i forgot to ask the question in this thread oops...
    ok the question was do u drill those locks/grabs enuff to be used in situation... can u use it?
    i know as most of TKDists find it useless they might kick heads off but still(don't tell me that i know i m stupid enuff to ask :D)

3. waya

waya Valued Member

What type of TKD are you training that uses locks? It almost sounds like your instructor has trained in, or teaches Hapkido as well.

In Hapkido we definitely train them enough to use them, of course locking is about half the system too. lol

Rob

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm not sure I got the drift of your question but it seemed to be something along the lines of "can you use a wrist lock against a good jab?" And I would say that no, you can't. Someone who can punch well isn't going to leave their arm dangling around for you to play with. I would never try to just straight off apply any arm/wrist lock on a martial artist. But once you've 'softened them up' with some strikes the situation may then be different. Happily though I've rarely been attacked by a martial artist outside the dojo. The vast majority of my 'real-life' encounters involved people who did not do 'good jabs' or any other skilled striking techniques and were therefore much more vulnerable to joint locking, although I still think its a good idea to hit them first.

Mike

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I agree with mike.
    In training in a controlled enviroment you can pull it off, but in sudden/unexpected situation it's not likely, maybe once you've slipped or blocked the jab and you are closer in - if they've got hold of you(or you have them) in some way, it'll be a little easier(being at arms reach you know where they are) and even more so once you've stuck the head on them or some such technique - he, he:D

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Waya, we practice Traditional TKD where locks/grabs/SD are taught with good detail, no my teacher is purist TKD...learnt from some of the best in TKD some name lie GM hyung or rhee(not confirm with name), Master Leong and some time with Gen Choi.
    i know hapkido teaches most of locking techs...and they r good at kicking too... i admire HKD style...
    Mike u r rite it would be useless to use any kind of wrist lock at u the body of momentum does't allow u to stop and u need much better reflexes... but that's the way most style teaches it... they let thierr hand free to grab but that doesn't happen when it's fast punch... i like ur approach with "softening up" i always prefer that too :D but with little bit of devising i hav used my locks against boxers' front jab in 90% sucess... but i guess i'll ask my teacher about this and then say something more about it...
    -TkdWarrior-

7. waya

waya Valued Member

TKDWarrior, I'd say your school is pretty rare for a WTF oriented school. Most I have seen/attended taught nothing much for SD techniques, so I'd say you're lucky.

I have to agree, and disagree with Mike on using a lock from a punch. It's not an easy thing, but you can slide a deflect block over the arm into a grab and throw or lock the opponent. You'd have to keep forward momentum and use the movement alot like Sticking Hands (Chi Na I think??), but it's possible although not necessarily a real bright idea lol.

Rob

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ummmm waya... i belong to ITF TKD...
    and sticking hands is Chi Sau(WC), Tui Saou(Xyingyiguan)...
    chi na(qin-na) is reffered to grappling skills in CMA...
    Waya wat i think as i referred whenever we r grabbing we try to grab the hand when it's in momentum and it's momentum will prevent the same...
    let's say u r in situation where u can't kick or pucnh anyone's head off u might try grabbing techs..and yea pppl doen't punch like boxers...but still they generate good power n speed.
    so wat i want to ask wat's ppl approach when do locking..?
    like mike said "softening up"...it's better approach..
    wat else u can come with..?c`mon guys n gals...
    i need more ideas to drills :(
    i dunno why i like to control my opnt's and see them crying :D
    -TkdWarrior-

9. waya

waya Valued Member

Sorry, just waking up lol I thought you had said WTF somewhere.

I don't often attempt a one strike end. Certainly I "hope" they will all have the potential, but in real situations that's very unlikely. I use locks, but only as a temporary portion of an attack, not holding my opponent for very long, just break them and let go.

Softening is a good idea before a lock or throw.... Or just use speed vs. their momentum to apply the lock and do damage. I don't really have alot of solo training idea for locks though. I work with a partner on them so I can also feel how they work.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm i m kind a confused...
    Waya i didn't understand about solo training for locks
    IMO u hav to use partner for locking...??
    Ming explaing it to me...
    thnx for sharing ur thougts with me Waya..
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Sounds interesting. Can you describe the technique at all?

Mike

12. waya

waya Valued Member

I was saying that you can't do locks solo.... Maybe I misunderstood but it looked like you were asking for ways to train locks alone.

Rob

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

*yawn* it's nite in here n i m going to bed...
    i'll anser u tomorrow morning Mike.
    -TkdWarrior-

14. darlph

darlph New Member

Hi Tkdwarrior, I practice Tkd ITF also, and in the last 8 years we have added grappling to our curicculum. Locks and such develope with the rank. I believe you have a blended system that happened many moons ago through necessity. As out instructor had done. We go to seminars and learn 'new' things to us and try to pass it on.
    The locks can used but only if opportunity arises. Each situation and your skill makes the difference. Believe this, when I could not figure out how to get a key lock I used a foam pool tube and taped it to be like an arm. Elbow open for bend. It worked!
    Ideas for drills, watch Steven Seagal movies he like to use them in toughman situations.
    Oh, got to go..........................

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hi darplh nice to meet u...well my teacher basically teaches watever he found usefull and for TKD he takes reference from the encylopedia by Gen choi...
    mike as u asked i m puttin here an excerpts from my mail to Master Keith Pascal...i hav asked him to comment on this and his comments are included in <<"">>
    in ur article u said "it would be dumb to put lock on fast punch"
    amazingly myself too shared the idea, ur idea about hitting 3 times first is amazingly wiered too...

<<I see so many folks try to grab a fast punch. I guarantee, if I am punching full speed, my punch can't be grabbed.>>

but wat i found out with a little devising of normal wrist lock u can put it againt fast punches
    if one has a habbit of interception/checking then it's quite easy to put locks to fast punches too(i only figured out the font jab as they r the fastest ones)

<<This is my point. Do something to slow the movement down first ... anything. Gain control by checking, then lock.>>

if u start intercepting the front jab at the mid section of hand it'll normally reduce the speed

<<See, you understand the need to reduce the speed too ;-)>>

and from that u can move forward a bit and grab the wrist which is now stopped...

<<See, 'now stopped.' My point exactly.>>

and at this time u can go towards the hand(say rite hand side if the front jab was rite) circle around ur oppnt and put him in wrist lock...
    if u say about flurry of punches then again this thing will work...like when u r doing flurry of punches u hav some idea to where hit and hitting first will lead u in hitting second n many more. but if ur first is stopped then ??
    if u hav stopped first and u hav changed ur position the other incoming punching assault will be very less and as u keep circling ur oppn't ur oopnt' doesn't hav much choice...(u hav locks kicks to knee elbow to back of head/neck, lots of option there)
    i hav put all this in idea to put my oppn't such that i hav a lead not him...
    and this works amazingly good when u and ur oppnt's lead r opposite like ur's left and ur oppnt rite

acc. to him this can be used effectively in situations against boxer, WC's artist(here u hav to take care of legs too)...n so on...
    all this applies on kicks too with a bit devising..

-TkdWarrior-

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hi Guys,

I'm worried about some of these 'Self Defence' techniques being taught by TKD instructors. I've seen it done by guys telling their students these are 'SD' techniques but I see massive flaws in what they're doing.

Do you not thibnk its dangerous having some instructors teaching things they don't fully understand themselves?

Does this give students false confidence?

Col

17. Spike

Spike New Member

There`s always going to be flaws in things, and no one is ever going to master a technique absolutely perfectly but giving students as much of an arsenal as possible seems sound advice

18. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

free form u mind giving us example...
    anyways i think spike had said it quite rite...
    -TkdWarrior-

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

When an instructor has just 'seen' something and never really drilled it, or if he's seen something in a book and then tried to teach his students it. Hell, even if he thought it was a good idea and made it up himself without an understanding of the basic principles of the technique.

Thanx

20. HKD

HKD New Member

TKD is filled with this. i would say most TKD schools R like this. there so into the money and the money isn't in self defense, it's in sport TKD. They come through the ranks and all there into is sparring so all they teach is sparring. and yes it's dangerous, giving a false confidence. One of out local instructors found out the hard way that sparring and fighting R not the same, after her husband almost beat her to death a month ago. if U want self defense don't take TKD.

HKD