Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Apr 18, 2007.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya Babes, There are shedloads of people speak Welsh in the Valleys/Casnewydd/Caerdydd.....dunno where you live, so cant say if I've been around your bit! :D

I have always found Gogs to be very friendly, even when I explain I am from the South Wales Valleys. It may be the 'Valley' thing, because during the big slate strike in North Wales that lasted for years, a lot of families upped sticks and moved to the Valleys to work in the coal mining industry, and stayed. So maybe there is an empathy there? :cool: :love:

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Yes, bachgen bach :p

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Cardiff Carys! :D Port Talbot for 19 years though

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

LOL :D

Do you speak Welsh, or are you listening for the iaith ??

(I usually greet people in Welsh then Engish and wait for the reply) :love:

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I can't speak much. Did start to learn but I have no intention of staying in Wales so I guess there's no point :D

Though I will always remember a line in the course I did that was something about mae'n llew mewn y'r tegell :Alien:

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

rolflmao :love:

7. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Bless you! :D

8. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Was that something about a lion in a kettle???

When I came to Japan (straight after Uni in Bangor) I remember first meeting boxers from the 'Hanes' company. Seriously couldn't work out why these pants had 'history' written on them... :confused: :D Ah, the joys of osmosis!

9. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Am not!

Seriously though, that has to be one the cutest sounding words in any language for an idiot!

Bechod!

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

The only grumbles I've heard in North Wales was not about people but the language. Specifically that most of the programmes on S4C are in South Walian dialect.

Mind you, having watched some of the Welsh language chats between Glyn (Gog) and Imogen (Hwyntw) on Big Brother last year....I understood Glyn much more.!? :D

11. ambiance

ambiance Valued Member

I was in work once and a family were talking in what sounded like Welsh, but I as a Gog could not understand them and my work colleague (a Hwyntw) could not understand them.

So we asked what language they spoke and they said Welsh, we explained that we both speak Welsh but in a different dialect and neither of us could understand them.

They said they were from Mid-Wales and that their dialect is different from North and South and that they can not always under either of us.

I always knew about the difference between N&S but never considered the Mid.

12. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Ah...*bells ringing*

I was visiting Castell Carreg Cennen, Trapp (nr Llandeilo) and passed a Woman, so greeted her in Welsh then English.

She replied in a torrent of Welsh and I stood open mouthed. She stopped and spoke slowly. To everything she said I had to respond with "Beth? - What?"

We switched to English and started to compare words...astonishing. She said she was a teacher in an all English speaking school and was happy to have a NorthWalian Welsh speaker join the staff. However, finding very little Welsh in common, they now converse in English.

As did we!!!

I guess that whether from the N or S, we get to know the differences...but this Mid Wales dialect is so regional and unknown it proves too difficult.

:Angel:

13. Verx

So actually there are 3 types of Welsh? :confused:

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

No, thats just the beginning!!

Ok..three very different Welsh dialects. Plus, with Welsh being such an ancient language (oldest still spoken in Europe) it still retains the duality of one way of speaking to people you know well and another, formal way.

:woo: :woo:

It's a real toughie to learn.

Then there are all the mutations..... :D :saz:

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And all the words containing so many letters they don't fit on my computer screen!

16. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

HAHA

Thats nothing...try saying them!!! :p

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Uhm, no... it would all sound lie this to me: :Alien:

18. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Sumay Cariad

Well, being a 'mochim Saes' that lived in the Wales for more than a while and not that far from Llandeilo, I know one 'Gog' that got a bit of a beating in mid Wales for er...simply being a 'Gog'.

Other than that, I have a very un-English fondness for the Welsh...."once yous gets to knows them like".

19. Verx

Does it sound like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dZVuinIoX4]Welsh (Real Time)[/ame]

20. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Nope!!!

This is a fun take of a famous Rygbi Anthem!!! :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5TN26-8pTw"]Sosban Fach - YouTube[/ame]