Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Apr 18, 2007.

1. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

He's not wrong!

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHA I thoght Tom Pain wrote that one. Sorry Tom :love:

Anyway - DIE VERX!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I didnt miss it out...I didnt know it!

I do now.

Sorry. :Angel:

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

:D :love:

I agree!!!

:saz:

5. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Sigged. :p

6. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

I don't! At least not unreservedly...

Same as any other language: I've met young people from Bangor who sound like the dreaded scousers complete with phlegm bombs, and old people from Bangor who sound like they're singing poetry!

In general I think people from South Wales sound softer and nicer than the North though.

7. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

But people from the north would think they were speaking pidgin Welsh.

8. Mr Punch

Not being rude, just wondering: what's your point?! I like the sound!

People in Bangor call people from Caernarvon southern scum (among all kinds of other nasty things - they even seem to prefer the English!), and that's only eight miles away.

I was taught at uni (Bangor) that before the A55 was built dividing and uniting communities all along the North Wales coast there were seven distinct dialects (not just accents) from Chester to Holyhead. Some of these Northern communities are/were very parochial.

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

People from the North often speak purer Welsh dialects and do not use homogenised language with a lot of English words thrown in. The North South thing in Wales seems as strong as the Glasgow / Edinburgh thing in Scotland. (Though ours is justified - you might get a cup of tea from someone in Edinburgh, but you are never going to see a biscuit!).

Edited to add - one of the tribes who settled north Wales was from Edinburgh.

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

So how's that Welsh player doing that broke his leg in the Rugby against us?

11. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

North Wales only like those from North Wales. South Wales like everyone :D

12. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hmmm

I have travelled and lived all over Wales. The Gogs (North Walians) and the Hwyntw (South Walians) were, without exception friendly to me. Only after initial chatting was 'where I came from' asked.

Undoubtably there are those, both from N and S that have prejudices...however, for the most part, it is just friendly leg-pulling. :D :p

(I have never met a tight Cardie, btw!!) :love:

13. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Is it true that in Welsh pubs they speak English until an Englishman walks in; then they pretend they don't know English and only speak Welsh? :confused:

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

No, twpsyn...Welsh people, in their own country, speak Welsh to each other. For some strange reason, we are so polite that if english speaking people enter, we switch to english.

Because we are lovely and considerate...

and

we keep a welcome in the hillside...... :D :saz:

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

hehe, you attacked him Valley style!!!!

16. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

:love: :D

17. Mr Punch

You are a woman though... aren't you?! Gogs vs gogs: not a pretty sight in a lot of the pubs in Caernarvon and Bangor on a Saturday or a Wednesday (though why Wednesday I don't know!) night!

But sure, even to me when I lived there, an English student at the time, they were always polite, even when a couple of times when I'd defended some Japanese kid against a racist attack and the follow-up... never quite developed into a bloody feud cos everyone was so polite!

Is that a word, or are you typing in mittens? :p :D

Funny that!
    Never found that though.

I've heard rumours about...:eek:

18. Victoria

I don't know about the rest of Wales but here the majority can't even speak Welsh, and even those can just speak English! Very rarely I'll pass people speaking in Welsh. Actually, the majority of people here are foreign :rolleyes:

And on the subject of North Wales. My best mate moved up there, had a job etc then had to move back because nobody would have anything to do with him passed "where are you from?" :mad:

19. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I've found that more people in the North speak Welsh than in the South. I also have never had any trouble with this kind of xenophobia. I live in North Wales, and due to my job have had to travel all over Wales, and indeed all over the country. There have been times when there have been certain predjudices, but never to the extent that some people think, really.

20. Victoria

Yes but you're from North Wales :p