Llama's Llog

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Llamageddon, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

You'd think that, but in my neck of the woods, all the pubs are chock full of Guinness drinking llamas!

2. Llamageddon

23/09/11

Missed a session this week because my training partner fell asleep and I couldn't be arsed to go on my own. Originally wanted to do a split between upper and lower, but was persuaded to blitz the chest, which I didn't mind.

Bench Press

8 @ 40kg
    5 @ 55kg - This is going to be my working weight from now on I think.
    5 @ 50kg
    5 @ 45kg (2 were super slow - they really sap the energy from you, don't they?!)
    10 @ 40kg

Incline Bench

Using dumbells, and the 'heavy' weights I use were all taken (term time is back on, and it being a uni gym n' all...) so I decided to go more for volume, which I actually think in the end was a good choice

20 @ 10kg DBs (far too easy)
    15 @ 12.5kg DBs
    Dropset of 10 @ 12.5kgs / 10 @ 10kgs

Last thing we did was supersets on the cable machine of tricep pushdowns and pulldowns (Is that what they're called?!)

3x20 @ 16.25kg fast and dirty.

Feel a bit of soreness in my triceps today, but nothing else.

Decided that on every bench day I'm going to do at least one or two reps of 60kgs until I can make that my working weight. I don't think I'm too far off it.

3. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Congrats on your progress.

4. Llamageddon

27/09/11

Karate training tonight. Lots of line work in beginners' session. So lots of kicking for us. Some fun little combos like ushiro geri --> ura mawashi --> uraken --> gyaku zuki etc. Some pushups and the like (as should be expected).

Second session was mostly kata which was good, and still got a sweat up. Bit of circle fighting at the end as it was someone's last day.

Do actually feel a bit sore today in shoulders and chest. Think that's from the pressups bringing the soreness of the last gym session back, which took a fair few days to hit, weirdly.

5. Llamageddon

Haven't been to the gym at all this week. And I don't even feel bad about it. So there!

*sticks tongue out*

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well my OCD about training side does feel bad about it for you, so i'll come out in hives and sit in the corner rocking whilst you go and enjoy yourself! :mad: ;) :D

7. Llamageddon

Sounds like a plan to me!

To be fair, I really wanted to go today, but my gym partner bailed again (can't say I've never done that...). I did contemplate going on my own, but I got to the stage where I just wanted to go home.

Playing rugby on saturday, so will get a nice all round workout (and some bruises, no doubt) then.

8. Llamageddon

Rugby today. Not much happened. From where I was standing the forwards were misfiring so the backs got hardly any ball. Tackled some big people, so guess that's a bit of a workout, but spent most of my time running back and forth...

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

How does the actual rugby training compare physically to the karate training?

Harder, more physical, more cardio?

10. Llamageddon

Um, it depends what we do in Karate, but the effects can be fairly similar. I play on the wing so it's a lot of stop and start, and mostly sprinting. Mostly anaerobic so recovery time is important. At the same time you have to work in oxygen debt, especially when cleaning out rucks, tackling and being tackled.

You have to work on your footwork, and have a keen eye for yours and others' positioning (like I'd argue you do in MA in general)

In terms of mentality there is quite a lot of crossover too - keeping your composure, not letting yourself get intimidated by the bigger guys.

I would say the biggest difference is the level of contact. When you're built like me you get hit a lot, sometimes because you put yourself on the line for the game, and sometimes because people think you're an easier target (I'm not what I'd consider that small anymore, but you still have to watch out for mismatches).

The next biggest difference is probably the intensity. In karate training you get opportunities to go through things slowly, to think about them etc. In rugby it's all instinct (again a crossover when you're fighting) and it's non-stop by and large.

I would say though that in general, if you're prepared to take some knocks and risk injury (like with all sports) it's a great all round exercise. And in terms of MA there is a fair bit of wrestling-esque work, kicking, tactics... and maybe a bit of striking ;)

11. Llamageddon

10/10/11

Karate training. Mostly line work and kumite drills for two hours. I am aching today! Tough session in terms of work rate. Needed it, considering the general lack of training the past two weeks...

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Rugby, its like sprinting from one wrestling match to the next. I miss that sport. You know you just gave me a cool training idea. What about doing a drill where the class sprints across the deck between katas or a pre-aranged kumite. That would be neat, don't you think?

13. Llamageddon

Add in some press ups and yeah!

Or how about sprint across to a partner, then do a drill along the lines of bodyweight squat, kick, kick, bodyweight squat, sprint to the other end, repeat the drill

14. Llamageddon

17/10/11

Karate training - painful warm up consisting of bouncing up and down (hell, right?!) with arms outstretched in stress position, combined with tuck jumps and the like, then straight in to knuckle press ups, which made my hands feel beautiful and soft, and reversed the aging process by about three years.

First session we went through all the kata I knew, apart from Kanku Dai and Jitte
    (For reference, this means Heian 1-5, Tekki Shodan and Nidan, Ji'in, Jion, Chinte, Enpi, Nijushiho, Hangetsu, Bassai Dai and Bassai Sho)

Second session was kumite techniques in line work style (shadow boxing if you like), followed by partner work on same techniques/combinations, followed by linking up the combinations in a more free flowing drill.

A bit sore today in the traps/shoulders/arms.

15. Llamageddon

You're not going to believe this, but...

I'VE JUST BEEN TO THE GYM.

Bench press

3x6 @ 50kg - no spotter today so I made a compromise between weight and reps

Good Mornings

8 @ 40kg
    2x8 @ 50kg

Back Squats

8 @ 50kg
    5 @ 60kg
    5 @ 70kg

Was going to do a final set of 80kg, but then realised I was quite tired and couldn't actually be arsed. Probably for the best as I'm still easing my way back in to these

Originally planned to do deadlifts to finish, but again, legs. Meh. So instead:

Wood chopper thingies

10 each side at 16.25 plate.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

17. Llamageddon

18. Llamageddon

Karate tonight.

2 hours of kata. Thought I might be coming down with a stomach bug, but tonight would suggest otherwise...

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Is any bug a match for two hours of kata?

20. Llamageddon

Apparently not!