Living the AIKIDO

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aikidoka-je, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So you don't know the background of the Daito-ryu you studied and have trained for not much more than four years yet you think you "know it"?

Have you ever actually studied Aikido.

2. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Believe it or not Aikido not about fighting.

BUT i'm not claiming to be any sort of an expert on things.
    I learned to Aikikai's DERIVATIVE of the Aiki Jujutsu NOT the official style.
    And before you bring it up: none of this means that I am any GOOD at anything (I don't claim to be!).
    I simply have the knowledge to build upon.
    I know Aikikai's system but that does not mean anything.

-----

I'm not trying to convice anyone of anything either so there is really no reason for debate

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

um....what? what exactly is the aikikai derivative of aiki jujutsu? what knowledge exactly are you building upon?

4. Dean Winchester

Have you studied Aikido, the art developed by Ueshiba Morihei?

You can take inspiration from Aikido, apply it as best you can to your life but to study Aikido, to practice Aikido then you need to study Aikido within an actual line of transmission with links to the founder and his teachings.

It'd be like if I were to simply read the Gorin no Sho and say I'm training in Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. I wouldn't be all I'd be doing is trying to take some lessons from it based on my limited understanding.

Wouldn't the teachings of Ueshiba Sensei be best conveyed via the art he developed?

At the moment it just sounds like you are cherry picking whatever is convenient for you, which is great but it's not Aikido is it? It's your ideas on what Aikido might be based on your limited experience.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. aikidoka-je

It's the one you see most Aikidoka use.

The knowledge that can be built upon: Ukemi, Atemi, Nage, Kamae, Tai Sabaki, Grappling, Tsuki, Uchi, Omote, Ura, Hanmi Handachi, Suwari, Kokyu, Kikou, Awase, and more I can't remember at the moment (forgive me).

6. Dean Winchester

So if we were to ask about the Hiden Mokuroku of Daito-ryu you wouldn't be able to tell us much?

I really do think you need to look at what you have studied and compare it to what you think you have done. You seem a little confused.

7. aikidoka-je

O Sensei's Aikido is a spiritual AND martial path.

Much of the philosophy is taken from Oomoto and Shinto.
    Much of the 'fighting' system is TAKEN from Daito Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu. It is Aiki-Jujutsu but that doesn't really mean that it is DAITO-RYU Aiki-Jujutsu.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And a few bits and pieces hashes together does not mean you are doing Aikido

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Well, at least he didn't call it JKD.

10. aikidoka-je

The Aikido is more 'lived' than 'done'.

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I've bolded the points where you have made a statement that might be questionable. Further to that you posted this on a discussion forum, - so I think debate might happen.

12. Hannibal

To be fair, this is in a personal log page...perhaps a mod could split it?

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

how do you know what aikido is if you haven't done it?

i realize this is your personal thread. and that's fine that you take inspiration from aikido. on this site all over, you've made many mentions of aikido. just don't be surprised if/when people start calling you out on it. people are being pretty nice here, this being your own personal thread and all. i don't think you'll get the same reception in other parts of the forum.

you're obviously pretty interested in aikido. surely, there's an aikido dojo somewhere near you in florida.

14. aikidoka-je

Aikido center of Jacksonville it is a long drive from Orange Park but I might start going there. It sure looks nice and I could really benefit from going to the seminars again.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  15. Hannibal

Actually it wasn't Ueshiba I was referring to

16. aikidoka-je

Beginning this next week I will begin putting a higher priority on the Kikou (Qigong).

Just like the Aikido the Kikou can be applied to many areas of martial arts, however it is not a separate 'do'.

The aim of Kikou is to move the Ki through the body and become better at manipulating it. - This will NOT make one Goku, but it will improve one's technique after enough dedication.

The slow movements will also improve balance.

Kikou can be applied to most techniques, Kata, waza, Jutsu, etc, (this is after you have the movements unique to Qigong down) but there are limits to it's flexibility so it must be continually developed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  17. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

I think you really would benefit by actually going to a dojo and TRAINING for an extended period of time. Then when you later philosophize and preach about the teachings and training of Aikido maybe you'll be taken more seriously

At the moment you're coming across as a wishy-washy, cherry-picking know-it-all who doesn't seem to have taken the time to dedicate yourself to an art an actually learn about it through blood, sweat and tears.

Hit the mats for a while, get away from the keyboard. Go and really learn by getting slammed, crying while sat in seiza forever and watching the skin on your infected knees and feet peel off. Do the hard work, then offer a philosophy to the masses

Step 1: Shut up
    Step 2: Train
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Profit

18. aikidoka-je

The reason why I have not been going to seminars is because It is far away (not complaining though). I still read allot of manuals though - and I know it doesn't count but at least I'll never forget anything.

I still practice for three hours a day, it isn't much but good enough for me.

I will enter another Aikikai eventually though, and hopefully then I'll learn even more about the spirit.

As for profit, not interested. the teachings (I believe) cannot be sold. I believe they are learned by time and repetition.

-----

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Me either, I was referring to the OP.

20. Hannibal

Ditto! Although it is refreshing not to find another home grown JKD'er! At least they are spread out a bit

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013