Liverpool KSW Tournament

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JamesR, Dec 1, 2011.

1. karma

karma Valued Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Thank goodness! I thought perhaps you were having a stroke and that I should summon an ambulance for you. :jester:

EDIT:
    No need to drag POLITICS into it, and besides, I think you're wrong about Pugil's motives. But believe what you want. :yeleyes:

Your instructor went to pay tribute to Saja in the summer of 2010, as did Pugil. So I'm fairly certain that the respect held amongst these individuals is genuine. Unless you'd like to share something *scandalous* that your instructor said when he returned from the event? (go ahead, take the bait... ROFL)

3. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

I think Unknown has actually answered this point quite well already:cool:
    However, I would add that Saja Nim is quite open about the fact that he is no longer able to perform everything that he asks of students. But he IS actually of a similar opinion to yourself. That is why at last year's meeting of Grandmasters, he announced the appointment of the future inheritor of KSB, Chief Master Jannisse, who is very capable of all that is required and more.
    Fairly obviously, it is not possible for the leader of an org to ensure that he has a "replacement" available the very moment that he is unable to do everything that he asks of his students, particularly when that occurs due to an injury. But what Saja Nim is doing is to ensure that the art which was passed on to him is being passed on by those who have the ability to do so.
    As for instructors not teaching anything that they cannot any longer perform themselves, all I can say is check out almost every other field of physical activity, gymnastics, track and field events, boxing, etc etc and you will find that the coaches are often ex-competitors who are no longer able to perform at the same level. However, what they can do, is pass on the knowledge that that have accumulated over the years. In fact I have not heard of a single coach who is also still a top competitor. Funny how performances in these events keep getting better, despite that fact.
    AS for the judges leading in the test themselves, that is ludicrous. How on earth can you judge a group of students whilst also taking part in the test?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. unknown-KJN

Apologies... I didn't spot this post yesterday when jumping pages in answering my good friend, karma, with my views on why decrepit, old masters should be able to sit on a judging panel.

But since it's a slightly different take on the same idea, and not too terribly off-topic (the thread being about a SPECIFIC tournament), I'd be only too happy to respond.

I've seen numerous proposals to institute guidelines & *certification* regarding one's capability to sit as a tournament judge/referee, presented to GM IHS over the years and yet despite your argument, he rejected every single one. I don't know why he shot down these proposals, as it sounds like a GREAT idea to me, especially considering that by requiring an up-to-date *referee license* the sort of scenario you described would easily be alleviated. Please realize that when I brought up the notion of being satisfied with people who are unable to do the material for which they are judging others, I was referring to people who had once been capable (physically) but who are no longer (whether due to injury OR aging). If someone is incapable because they FORGOT (due to a hiatus in their training), then obviously they should recuse themselves if asked to judge. Of course if the proposed *licensing* to be a judge/referee is not incorporated into the rules of a MA organization, the responsibility to prevent such miscarriages of justice falls to ALL black belts, IMO. No need to try to enlighten me that not all black belts are imbued with such integrity, but most of them are and all it takes is a majority (and to not be silent).

So it seems, L-X, we actually agree on this matter. :cool:

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

The only one I 'back' my friend is ME! So please don't jump to conclusions! You totally misunderstood and misunderstand where I am coming from on this matter. No one knows what's coming around the corner: Head trauma from car crash, Multiple Sclerosis, Arthritis, Spondylitis, etc., etc. So when YOU have some kind of drop-off in your own personal capabilities in a few years from now [or even tomorrow, who knows!], come back and sing me your same little song.

6. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Another throw-countering video clip for you all: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFz_0834p4"]Zantaraya skills - YouTube[/ame]

7. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Nice clip Ollie. Wonder if the judges can do all those techniques themselves?:evil:

8. unknown-KJN

Who would've thought... something as simple as a cartwheel could be so effective. :cool:

IMO, two of the most vicious throws in the set of tugi are #2 & #7. And yet using a cartwheel pretty much nullifies them both (and BTW, I've taught that for years). Although for it to work with #2, you do need to pivot and face in the direction of the throw (or else you'll get your shoulder screwed out of socket, hehe). Another good technique that works from a similar standpoint, i.e. not actually thwarting the throw but going with it albeit under your own terms, is to fall as usual with this particular difference: drag the guy who threw you down to the ground along with you, ensuring that s/he doesn't land on you (which is the counter to this counter - to allow yourself to be pulled to the ground but add as much height to your fall as possible and aim for center mass, essentially smashing them between the ground and all your body weight). Of course for any of this to work, it goes without saying that you'll need excellent timing & even better reflexes. :yeleyes:

9. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Proof (perhaps) that you don't have to wear fancy uniforms in order to put on a good show:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Cfy4d9-to"]Taekwondo Shuffle in Korea - YouTube[/ame]

10. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

The boards were thin, but their abilities are nothing to be ashamed of!! To be able to fly around like that would be a joy, they make it look so fun and easy.