Liverpool KSW Tournament

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JamesR, Dec 1, 2011.

1. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Was at my little brothers KSW tournament here in the UK last weekend, went very well, made a video :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5JcRjtQztM&feature=channel_video_title"]Liverpool Kuk Sool Won 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Did anyone spar? Got any footage outside of the demo stuff?

Mitch

Edit to add: Sorry, should have said, there's some lovely, fluid breakfalling in there :)

3. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Got all sorts of footage, that Is just a video I made.

Will try and get some sparring footage up

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

question for the OP: How come you do jujitsu and you brother does KSW?

question for Mitch: How come you changed your screen name to "Mc"?

I'd comment on the video, but my browser is acting up and therefore all animated sequences (such as flash generated stuff) are refusing to play. :cry:

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Don't think I have? Just shows as "Mitch" to me? Unless my typing is even worse than normal :)

Mitch

6. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

He started KSW while I was boxing and I then moved onto JJ - (Do we have to do the same MAs :S)

I did look into joining KSW but it wasn't really what I was looking for :)

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Cause his brothers cooler! :cool:

8. Geetarman

Geetarman Valued Member

I was there too, was lucky enough to come away with 2 golds (sparring & techniques) and a silver (forms).

It was a good weekend, travelled down late on the Thursday and watched the Black Belt grading and tournament on the Friday.

The Masters Demo was great as always, highlights for me Master Sung Jin Suh's demo and Master Darren Hart's part of the breaking demo.

9. unknown-KJN

Sorry! As I said, my browser was glitching, and I suppose it dropped some letters from your name (i.e. the lower case I, T, & H). The result made me think you were touting a Scottish heritage, LOL.

BTW, it crashed and is doing fine now that I had to reboot it. :confused:

Of course not... I was merely curious if you were both interested in MA, why you had chosen different ones (some places do offer discounted rates to families, and I'm a cheapskate at heart, and is yet another reason I thought I'd ask).

How is the JJ you do different, if I may ask?

:happy: Congratulations on winning all those shiny trinkets! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  10. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Great shame that the guy running round with the British National Flag has it upside down!!!! :mad: But not to worry, I expect the Americans do it all the time with their flag too! :bang:

11. unknown-KJN

Only if in distress...

FWIW, it's not the first time I've seen this thing occur at WKSA events (i.e. hoist the Union Jack upside down or backwards - sheesh, no respect!). :rolleyes:

EDIT:

At least the one pasted on the wall (next to the EU flag) is oriented correctly.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  12. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

not only is it the wrong way up, it shouldn't have that gold fringing.
    Thats reserved for the Queens/Kings Colours - one of the two regimental colours carried by British Infantry or Guards Regiments which are normally a version of the Union Flag with the regimental crest added

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

nice video! spotted myself a few times there. good to see you caught some footage of master Jun too! he never seems to do much in demo but whatever he does do is always awesome!
    shame (if i heard correctly) master sung jin said that would be his last demo? someone please correct me if im wrong. all in all good tournament (even though im a tad dissapointed in myself with gold, silver and 4th!) gave me a good kick up the **** to get training! the demo was quite cool also, little bit dissapointed in the boards for the demo though.. 1cm thick? going to end up like taekwondo..

-J

14. unknown-KJN

When did this change? :thinking:

Used to be the boards for breaking were 1 INCH thick (how nice it would've been to only have to break 1cm thick boards, LOL). What's the point in using that thickness? (unless maybe you're under 10 yrs. old)

15. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

first time ive come accross them, they were specifically for demo, us blackbelts got the standard 1inch stuff for breaking competition, which due to being a manufactured board from kwon means there fairly britle anyway! but the breaking demo had these thin things, give of the psbns, sbn and kjn's there due though, quite a few of them felt rather silly breaking boards that thin and were breaking anything from 4 to 8 of them at once haha :cool:

i managed to snap one of them in my hands with abit of effort, thats how easy were talking. always wonderd how TKD people seem to break about 5 boards whilst in the air and there all at some sort of obscure angle! now i get it ! :rolleyes:

wonder how thin these boards were?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K1Cfy4d9-to"]YouTube[/ame]

by the way please dont take this as im some sort of TKD basher because im not, much respect to them with some awesome kicking ability! i know that not every tkd practitioner breaks 5mm boards in demonstrations, but it would be nice to see what kind of power these kicks are generating against some real pine board instead of paper mache and rainbows!:hat:

-J

16. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Darren Hart was amazing! What a brute! he turned the boards into saw dust haha

17. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Sorry pugil, although I'm sure you find it somewhere on video us Americans are particular about our flag, and myself personally would chew someone out no matter the consequences over hanging my flag upside down....these colors don't run and don't touch the ground AMD are definitely not displayed upside down, except in distress like unknown mentioned

18. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Just more up my street? Less focus on high kicks and showmanship and more focus on self defence and properly hurting your attacker.

We don't have tournaments, we don't have any ceremony for getting a black belt, there is about 10 of us training there under K J Blundell (9th dan) and the sole reason we are there is to learn to protect ourselves and keep the art going in it's proper, un-watered down form.

Not going to get into a debate over the two, as I know KSW contains joint locks and so on but it just isn't as harder style, I am yet to see continuous or full contact sparring or fully resisting randori or grappling and the way the techniques are taught from what i've seen if you both face each other in a horse stance and apply the technique? Don't know if this is everywhere?

We train by throwing stikes at each other, blocking said strike, striking them back (Knee to groin, punch to sternum, strike to throat, head butt - Whatever works at the time) and turning that into a throw, sweep or just finishing them off with fast, aggressive strikes. But the key part is only going for a technique such as a joint lock AFTER you have knocked the crap out of them first. Sort of the same as a section attack used by the army, your initial response when you come under fire is to return a couple of rounds as you are dashing down for cover, then you can go onto do what you need to do. We are under no illusions, a person whose main intention is to hurt you is not going to let you grab their wrist and apple a lock.

Sorry I've been ranting on, like I said KSW contains very valid techniques which I don't doubt for 1 second, it's a very beautiful art to boot and I would like to study it when in my 40s maybe, but right now the only reason I have an interest in martial arts, is so that the next person who tries to attack me will be left slumped on the floor in a mess.

James :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  19. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

oooooo i was thinking you did Bjj!! joneun paboyo, lol.

20. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

"Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon