Live blade

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Alansmurf, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Sh4d0wS0ul

Sh4d0wS0ul New Member

Thats true, I imagine someone would be in serious poo poo if they cut Soke Fumon Tanaka in half at a seminar.

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Meh, wrong. How would you know :rolleyes:

3. Topher

Topher allo!

Because in reality if someone is going to try stab you, you’re not going to be able to grab the blade. You’re kidding yourself. If you’re able to do it in training you’re not training in a realistic manner. At best you might be able to block or move/control the arm holding the knife to allow an attack, but being faced with a knife isn’t the time to try complex manoeuvres.

Do a drill wearing white t-shirts and use marker pens as knifes. Get someone to stab you in a realistic manner and do your little blade grabs and see how much ink (read: blood) you get over you.

4. Banpen Fugyo

Yikes! Sword blade, not knife blade! Thats just silly.

5. Topher

Topher allo!

I forget we live in ancient Japan. Dam sword bearers are everywhere.

Of course, the sword is much more realistic weapon than a knife! :rolleyes:

6. Banpen Fugyo

lol, realistic weapon?? Are you trying to say that swords arent real?

Theres more to training with weapons than learning to fight with/against them. Maybe when you figure that part out we could have a better discussion.

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

No way mate.

How do you use the live blade?

When we knife spar with a aluminium training knife or a blunt kerambit, the next day you are usualy covered in bruises. Each of these would be a cut with a live blade :confused:

We also train to 'fillet' muscles, we push with the blade. For example, we would stab through the bicep and push the knife through to cut the muscle out! We will block the inner forearm with the blade & pull back to 'fillet' it.

With a kerambit that is almost impossible to disarm we would hook it under the sternum, drop to cut the femoral....

We could not train our techniques with live blades. If you do & don't get cut you don't know how to use a knife.

Oh & rubber knives for training suck. You cannot push with a rubber knife. Wood or aluminium is the only way.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I personally know cops who disagree with you on the basis of their personal knowledge from their crime scene work. Things don't always go the expected way during the commission of a crime, so you shouldn't be so narrow-minded in your dojo training. During real crimes sometimes a person can grab the weapon and sometimes he can't. Sometimes he can grab a limb and sometimes he can't.

I think you mean "he doesn't know how to use a knife." :D :p

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Remember, you're talking to a NINJA here!

10. Banpen Fugyo

? Why do u keep saying stuff like that like ninpo doesnt exist?

11. Topher

Topher allo!

If it's just for fun, a hobby, fair enough. But don't think there anything practical to it. If you use a sword against someone you'll probably get life, and chances are your going to come across far more knifes than swords. So if your training for realism and defence against a blade, train for knife defence.

12. Topher

Topher allo!

Yes, but this wasn't my point. My point was if you are going to try anything against someone attacking or threatening you with a knife, keep it realistic, quick, basic and as safe as possible, which certainly would NOT comprise grabbing the blade!! :eek: :rolleyes: which would be itself a difficult task, let alone idiotic! It's better/safer to block/control the arm and body of the person holding the knife, not the knife itself. You would have a much bigger target and therefore greater success. Unless you’re already being cut and stabbed by the knife it's just too risky to attempt, but even then it's not the best approach to take.

The bottom line is that being attacked/threatened with a knife is not the time to try any fancy crap on them.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  13. Topher

Topher allo!

I'm sure they do exist - in weekly TMA classes.

You can seriously believe Ninja's exist in the manner they did hundreds of years ago.

14. oosh

oosh Valued Member

contact can be made against the flat of the blade, but obviously not the edge.

15. xen

xen insanity by design

on the surface, I agree. The chances of having a sword fight down the local market are pretty slim nowadays, however, the skills developed from katana training are transferable.

We do an awful of lot of blade evasion work, unarmed against a bokken to begin with, then moving on to katana, some sharp, some dull, just depends on whose blade is being used.

To begin with, the attack is predictable, but this is a neccesary stage which helps overcome the fear associated with coming into contact with swords for the first time and allows people the opportunity to begin to understand which directions are 'safe' and which are going to bring you into trouble; then, over time (from months to years), the exercises become unscripted.

The transferable element comes from learning to read how the agressor is going to move, developing the patience and timing to make the opponent commit to a cut which you are already out of the way of etc.

Not very easy to explain, not very easy to do, but a very valuable aspect of our training.

It isn't about using weapons against other people, its about developing the confidence and skill to give yourself a fighting chance if someone tries to use one against you.

Replace katana with pool cue, all of a sudden it don't seem that much of a deal if someone is threatening to swing a cue at you when you've spent years training to get out of the way of a live blade.

16. MAnewbie

MAnewbie Valued Member

Yes, today's safety engrossed society has affected MA training. A lot.
    Not for the better.

Why not practice once you are very experienced?

17. Sh4d0wS0ul

Sh4d0wS0ul New Member

Watch

Don't watch if you are sqeamish or can't handle blood or something.

18. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

I personally think only a fool would use a live blade....

19. Topher

Topher allo!

The point is if you can touch the blade in training you obviouly not training realistic/alive.

Cyrax is right.

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The cops and I agree. :)

I don't think this is true in all contexts. The silat people I've known fight in extreme close-quarters.