Little Known Filipino Hero's

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Here's one for you all, can you give us some of the lesser known Filipino Hero's who used their skills for the betterment of the people and/or themselves?

Let's start off with:
    PRINCESS URDUJA: GREAT WOMAN CHIEFTAN OF PANGASINAN.

Even before the Spanish came to conquer the Philippines. One of the more well known Kingdoms was that of Pangasinan. Princess Urduja was a popular Female Chieftan, an intelligent woman who was well educated, She was Brave and a famous war leader who knew several languages.

Her place was so popular which was adorned with expensive decorations of rare design and beauty. The Princess was also known for her beautiful and expensive attire that only befitting a Princess.

An Arabian traveller once went to visit her at court, the man was dazzeld by the rich splendor and beauty of what he saw. The food served to him was of the best he could expect. The arabian thought that the Princess could not understand Arabic and was surprised to find that she spoke it fluently.

The Princess had many suitors but they did not have the courage to court her, for they feared that they would fail in their quest to win her hand and they would only be put to shame.

She had numerous prominent admirers and suitors, but the Princess turned them all down. She did not want to marry one that could not surpass her in strength and bravery. According to her, she would only be happy with an man who could defeat her and whom she can respect and love.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  2. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

Filipinos are natural born heroes. :D

3. Sam the Man

Sam the Man New Member

hey the there pat its sam here, i read an article posted by u a while back , u mentioned one of your friends teachin in enfield.
    im experienced in win chung kung fu.
    could u please post details for fma in the london area. cheers pat

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2004
  4. Pat OMalley

Hehehe.

OK Name some more:D

5. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

here's a couple,
    1. Andres Bonifacio
    2. Emilio Aguinaldo
    Both are well know expert Arnisador/Eskrimador and great katipunero leader.

here's another female Arnisador/Eskrimador & leader.
    1. Tandang Sora

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

1) the silangs (husband and wife team from ilocos. lead the rebellion. when diego, the husband, died, his wife gabriella lead his men until she was killed too).
    2) the luna brothers. revolutionaries and intellectuals.

they were all versed in fighting with blades.

7. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

hmmm...how about the local barangay tanods we have here that roams around every night protecting the community. That's a heroic thing to do especially that most of them are just volunteers. Although they (probably some) did not have proper arnis training, they do can prevent criminal activities. hehe =p

8. shootodog

that will be addressed soon. wish us luck training them.

9. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

i wanted to teach Barangay Tanods how to use their yantoks (sticks) but some of them are "Barangay Tagays". No thanks.

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

English please! :woo:

11. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

oh im sorry LOL!

Barangay Tanods = Security Assistants of villages, communities, etc, for peace and order.

Barangay Tagays = Village drunkards. Sometimes they are assigned as Barangay Tanods, which is not a good thing.

12. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Awesome! Which barangay's and what are you focusing on in your training of them? This is a really good idea shootodog!
    Unless of course your training barangay tagays :rolleyes: , but I trust your discretion.

13. shootodog

it'll be a small project of the manila jaycees. we're targeting several barangays. i think we'll start with the ones in the malate area and move on from there.

14. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

could i join? :D i'm not a tanod but i sure would like to pick up some things and learn :love: hehe

15. shootodog

if you don't mind the "basics-ness" of the program, i don't see why not?

16. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

i don't see any problem there, it's a chance for learning. thanks shootodog!!!!:D

17. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

in the early 90's, our chairman (in Paco, Manila) just coordinated with the local police precint and contacted some arnisador practitioner in Luneta Park, they teach our Bgy.Tanod everything they need to learn, from law enforcement to how to handle a arnis stick, they even teach them some takedown.

18. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

Sultan Kudarat - The unsung Filipino Hero

One of the lesser known Filipino hero (but nevertheless became my favorite) is a muslim ruler by the name of Sultan Kudarat.

Sultan Mohammad Dipatuan Kudarat of the Sultanate of Maguindanao, who reigned from 1625 to 1671. He was a virtual leader who embodied the idea of basic unity, oneness and freedom among the diverse people scattered throughout his Sultanate. He was considered as one of the national heroes of the Republic of the Philippines not only because of his virtues of leadership but also because of his patriotic exploit in repelling Spanish domination.

Kudarat and his mandirigma (warriors) repelled continuous Spanish attempts at invasion of his sultanate in Jolo and Zamboanga. In an effort to subdue Kudarat, the Spanish Governor General Corcuera led a large well-equipped armada to Mindanao in 1637. On the banks of the Rio Grande Mindanao stand the fort of Sultan Kudarat, surrounded by 2,000 armed kali warriors. What followed was a grueling battle that left the colonial forces in control of the town, while Kudarat and his followers retreated to the hills. It was in these mountains that Sultan Kudarat did the what no other tribal chieftain did - he forged peace with the other Muslim Sultans. After four years of preparation, a united Moro force attacked the Spanish stronghold. Using their native skills in kali and silat, the sultan's forces were victorious. After the death of Governor General Corcuera, Franciso Atienza, the commandant of Jolo, offered Kudarat concessions of alliance, land and trade zones in an effort to achieve peace. Through Kudarat's diplomacy the peace pact was successful and by 1663 the Spanish forces closed their fort in Zamboanga.

Perhaps the best known quality that Sultan Kudarat possessed was the respect even his enemies bestowed upon him. A practical ruler and good adminstrator, Kudarat encouraged all Filipinos to trade with one another. In addition, he was an avid promoter of agrinomics and commerce. A warrior and a leader, he was honored by naming his sultanate and province in his name and his statue proudly stands in Makati, the premier financial and commercial district of the Philippines.

What made him an unsung hero? Few Filipinos know about him. When they hear the word "Sultan Kudarat", the first thing that comes to Filipinos mind is a province that is suffering from years of poverty, neglect and continous. conflict. Sad isn't it?.......... :cry:

19. Pat OMalley

Now that's the kind of thing we all need to hear about. I will post another similar one later this week.

Come on everyone, get those hero stories going.:)

20. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I have been talking to some friends back there about training Tanods.There are several contracts being created to start teaching the Barangay tanods how to do a better job with security and crime prevention. There have been complaints that many tanods are "tagays" therefore some people who have been asked to teach these Tanods have refused to do so because of the fear that they may abuse this training. I think that any professional program has to have some kind of quality assurance in skill and accountability. In doing so any Tanods abusing this authority will be dealt with accordingly, no different with anyone else in LawENforcement. I don't see anyu benefit in bailing out because there are some bad apples in the bunch, weed them out but don't give up on those willing to do a good job. We are doing our part here abroad with Law Enforcement and Military Training , I hope the same goes to those those called out back home.