Little Brother Confronted With a Knife

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Been meaning to post this.

UFC on stairs night (sunday morning really) and we had a few friends over. Everyone is drinking. I was quite sober. My little brother had been drinking more than me and was a little drunk. Tipsy I would say. Could talk and laugh and definitely not out of control.

Around half past two in the morning the dog is pining at the door. I asked my brother to take her out. He takes her to the field at the back of out house. No problems.

On the way back, about 30 feet from our stair door a mabout my age (early twenties) runs up to him and asks quite threateningly and with a hand held just behind his waist "are you *insert a name that's not my brothers*?" Wee Man gets really nervous and basically tells the truth. "No I am Connor I live right there" my little brother then goes on to ask the guy innocent questions to keep him calm while he walks to the door. The guy came in not far behind him and status in the stair. Turns out he's looking for the guy upstairs and is waiting just to stab him.

My brother enters the house shaking like a leaf and just describes what I have told you. He tells me about how vulnerable he felt because he knew he was drunk and the ice was slippy. He questioned wether he would have been able to defend himself. My brother then bursts into tears.

At this point my brother hadn't made it clear that the guy was in the stair. There's a tap on the door and I put the chain on it (it's quite a strong one and I have a rolling pin in my hand) and I open it and the guy asks "how do I get out of this stair?" The button to release the door is broken. I tell him to hit the fire escape one and go back inside and my brother is pointing at the door telling me that was him. My mother wakes my dad up who is really not happy. Queue him going out a few times to look for this guy and beat him up. I of course can do not much but follow. So about ten minutes later the guy is hanging outside. Waiting for the guy upstairs. My brother gave the name the guy was asking about and my father knew it was the man upstairs. He informs the man upstairs and they are out the window looking for him.

Cut to the chase the guy flashed a blade at the girl telling her "this is what yer boyfriend is getting!".

So basically confirmed that the guy was carrying.

Turns out he had broken someone's windows and was arrested today.

Not much more to say tbh, just thought you'd like to know.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Glad everyone got out ok. I'm not sure I'd be confident about defending myself from a knife stone cold sober. Did you guys call the police at all?

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Hope your bro is okay, it's a pretty nerve wracking thing. When I was 14 me and a few mates were waiting for my mum to pick us up from an old cinema. It backed on to a really dodgy estate (drug dealers and paramilitaries). 2 guys came up to us and were totally drunk. They were joking about and having a laugh. One of them said "check this out" and pulls out a knife and starts shouting at us. We were all completely paralysed. He started laughing and put the knife away and was all "Gotcha!".

Not in the same league as to what happened with your bro but it makes you feel totally helpless. It's a horrible feeling.

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Glad you're all ok , tell your little bro not to feel bad about his reaction , it was totally normal.

5. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

He actually did really well staying calm when initially confronted, I think a lot of people would've freaked out.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Absolutely , I was referring more to the breaking down in tears , which I think is completely understandable.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Absolutely. Every shocking event induces shock. Shakes and tears are part of the territory. It's as natural as farting, and nothing to be ashamed of.

Sounds like your brother displayed some good soft skills, he should be happy with that. Much higher percentage than getting physical, if you can avoid it.

Silly dad :p

8. Pretty In Pink

Yeah. Everyone is alright. I still feel sorry for my brother and very angry at that guy. Watching him cry like that in fear isn't something anybody wants to see.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its not fear its adrenaline leaving his system by a convenient outlet

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Yes. He will definitely live longer and healthier as well as his friends and family being more secure with someone who can keep their cool during bad moments without stuffing it down inside till the day arrives when heart disease, blood pressure claim his life prematurely or he begins self-medicating to relieve the stress.

Yeah, well, you know; thats... what we do_____:vanish:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

That's why you carry your own knife or pepper spray or maybe a handgun. Unless you're in England where you aren't allowed to defend yourself.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Your unmitigated ignorance is breath of fresh air....please tell me more about this subject you have no knowledge or experience in yet feel qualified to comment on

13. Pretty In Pink

It is illegal here (in Scotland) to carry a knife. You get 5 years simply for having one in your possession. My brother came put of the situation unharmed and did the right thing by staying calm. You sound like an ass.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know right!

Bloody England, makes you wonder why they even bother legally allowing pre-emptive strikes...

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Strangely funny why we actually bothered to reply :p :cry:

(Wait-heck, this could mean some of my posts :) :p)

"Carry your own knife or pepper spray or maybe a handgun, or a raw potato, or a rabbit foot key chain, or a shrubbery, or a herring ...." :p

Chadderez, the situation turned ok....be thankful that he was not harmed..he kept his "wits"

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I believe he was probably using England to refer to the UK as a whole as for some reason foreigners do. Sorry Scotland. You don't exist to the outside world ;)

17. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

Wait England is a country? I thought it was just another territory of the USA like Puerto Rico??

18. 47MartialMan

Actually, to the Brits, the USA is just another territory of England

19. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

Now you're pulling my leg. That would be heresy.

20. 47MartialMan

Some here could say that about your posts