Little Bit TMI But Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by KSN_Princess, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Must respectfully disagree there.

I am with Southpaw. Just because they house and feed you does not give them unlimited rights to control you. Yes you should treat them with respect and contribute to the housekeeping. But I don't think that means they have the right to make any rule for you they like.

Let's put this in perspective. If an adult relative were staying at your house you wouldn't feel you had the right to make any rules you wanted for them. You'd expect respect and to assert basic rules like not coming in late and waking you up because you need your sleep for work tomorrow.

I don't buy into the idea that parents deserve unquestioned absolute authority either. They're people. Human beings, who are sometimes wrong like everyone else.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Yes, but neither the child nor the parent are in a position where they can definitively say whether one is right or wrong. They are both too self interested.

But usually I would err on the side of the parent who has more life experience, who thinks that having an "FH" (only just learnt about that too, Southpaw!) at 15 is probably a bit misguided.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Indeed the parents should have done a good enough job raising you that you should be responsible and able to figure this stuff out for yourself. If you are still having to lay down the law to adult children, then you blew it already. A parents job is to raise a human being not a child.

The Bear.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Just spitballing here but have you considered asking your parents if you can both just do whatever at one or the others' house? At 15 they really shouldn't be trying to stop you getting off with someone and they get some reassurance and control over rmaking sureyou won't be going too far. Know I'd be much happier with prospective children having "make out sessions" under my roof in a relatively safe environment rather than hotel where god knows what can happen.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

My mother always said "do anything except drugs and getting someone pregnant without planning, you can do anything as long as i know where and when just in case trouble happens"

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

To be fair...sex in hotel rooms is great. :)
    Usually got big mirrors, large beds, walk in shower maybe.
    And you don't have to wash the linen afterwards.

Now that really IS TMI.

7. Southpaw535

More or less how I'd like to do the parenting thing if someone's ever unlucky enough to have me as a dad. Thing is if you check across countries that approach is stupidly more successful when it comes to sex compared to the conservative approach American and Britain have.

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I can't say I'd err on anyone's side. I'd rather listen to the points they both make if possible. Then again I am from Southern Ireland which is not exactly full of smart, critical minded parents.

9. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

If, as you suggest, you're paying rent, I think all bets are off. Then they're boarders, not authority figures.

But if not, I'm not sure I can take the side of the downtrodden youngsters. Free room and board is a big deal, and no small expense on the parents' part. Ideally, parents would meet their kids halfway, as you say, but if they don't, I'm not sure there's much to complain about. The parents are doing you a huge favor and not asking for a whole lot in return.

10. Southpaw535

And keeping her age in mind there's no parents to wake up after you "celebrate" a sweet ufc fight.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

as in, the one who gave the 15 year old life would take it back, eh? :p

12. Southpaw535

No I don't pay rent but only because I haven't got any money to pay it with. Either way though now that I'm 18 my parents have very few restrictions on me. Phone calls to let them know if I'm staying out late andw here I'm going are the only ones that come to mind.
    I'm torn on the second point. I do think your parents get the last word and to an extent deseveredly so but there is a limit. Way too many factors for me to give a precise definition to where that limit is but its there.

13. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Not a whole lot in return?

What exactly do you mean by that?

If you mean respecting basic mores like not coming home late and disrupting their sleep, treating them and their home with respect, sure.

But if you mean parents should have the right to make whatever rules they want no matter how arbitrary such as no long hair or no getting your hair cut too short, no ear piercings, no wearing too many dark colors, no refusing to eat meat (actually happened to one of my friends. Her parents were psychos) sorry can't agree.

Again, if an adult relative were staying at your house, you wouldn't try and tell them they couldn't wear black or they had to cut their long hair if they were male or if they were female they weren't allowed a mohawk.

That's not about house rights, that's just control. For no good reason.

14. Southpaw535

What she said :D

Boundaries on your person in your mid-late teens are almost a complete no-no.

15. Blade96

I live with my rents and they now have, cause they were psychos too once haha, normal rules like no bringing in strangers when they aren't home, or calling when i'm gonna be late or bringing in pets without asking them first. That's just respect. And my ex showed how much he cared about respecting others when the rents were gone camping last year and he still wanted to come up even though my rents said no.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

LOL

Steps to success:
    1. Go to hotel room you paid for
    2. Take Partner
    3. Watch UFC
    4. Success? Profit?
    5. Leave the next day with a feeling of accomplishment.

Its at this point you realise that you're too in MMA!

My friend met this girl. He was trying to show off about doing BJJ and she was actually interested.

So a couple days later they had sex.
    He said it was really awkward because she kept saying "You know, you can choke me if you want."
    He said he didn't but I'm sure he did.
    He said he got bored after when they were lying there and went into half guard lock down with her. She said it hurt and never talked to him again.

BTW this happened twice!

17. Southpaw535

Had to smile at the idea of being in your 30s picking a guy up in a bar and telling him you have to go to his because your parents aren't home :p

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...that happens to me all the time. Ooooppps. :(

19. Blade96

glad i'm entertaining you. :p

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What do you think he means by it?!

Those are pretty much a given. Or they should be.

Oh boo hoo. Life is so unfair. OMG!!! I can't be a punk rocker. I can't be a goth. I better get an office job and then lay around my dank little flat on my only day off. All I do is work to pay the bills because mommy and daddy tried to step on my thrills.:rolleyes:

You realize how ridiculous this is right? The whole entire point is if you are a kid living at your parents house you are your parents kid - yes subject to some of their rules even if it runs roughshod for all the contrived little bits of fashion people at your age mistake for identity and indpendence... not some random adult relative.

So punk rock. So so so punk rock. :bang:

I can pretty much guess your age by your posts. How sad is that? What cracks me up is you and the everyone else chiming into agree with you so far... my money says... all live at home with mommy and daddy. :p

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.