list of weaponry from standard to more obscure

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes it was :)

Ill try a different version of the weapons board....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

The traditional and common weapon in the Philippines: .45 APC

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking at the weapons board and my very limited knowledge about knives used for different purposes, am I doing a disservice to Filipino Martial Arts by telling somebody about this board and describing that different knives are used in different ways? Example being you stab/slice a certain way with said knife, vs. another knife you do it a different way to maximize the cutting/stabbing ability of the blade? (All this said with absolutely no authority or knowledge on how to do this with each individual blade, clearly stated)

For some reason knife fighting came up in a discussion at the boxing gym and I was saying that, just want to check and make sure I'm not seriously out of place. If I'm ok saying that, it's as far as I would ever go in describing it to somebody until I actually go to classes and start learning.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  4. shootodog

It boils down to basics about a knife and what it has to do for you. The basics of any knife are: tang, spine, belly, and point. Each will differ depending on what a knife has to do. A knife which is more a stabbing weapon would be pretty thin and have a reinforced point vs something that would have to do some heavy cutting that would have a thicker spine and a bigger belly.

Han and Pat can fill in the details, I'm sure. I have to work now.

5. shootodog

6. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

how about the sarong, blow gun (sumpit), and yo yo!!

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Good shout with the yo yo!
    How about: dirt, stones or dust; handkerchief (similar to the sarong); (wet or dry) newspaper; using the shoes (sandals) as projectiles; or neck knives ('push' knives worn on a necklace); the same knives are sometimes held between the toes to make kicking lethal!
    Unfortunately I don't know any of the proper terms for those though...

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Interesting. I don't think I'd heard the term "badjac" before. I'm used to calling that "dulo-dulo."

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think you're doing a disservice, no. Clearly a stilleto is going to be employed differently than a kerambit. Form always influences function. Or the reverse. The form is dictated by the function you're trying to serve. Either way, there's a relationship.

This reminds me of a conversation had here about various sword designs and what techniques and styles they best lent themselves toward. And I think people made valid points about various blade designs being better for various maneuvers. But my contrarian thinking was that one of the things I really like about FMA is the idea of universality and improvisation. That notion that you can pick up anything from a real knife to a broken bottle and, employing basic maneuvers, essentially recreate the same effect. I'm less interested in the stylistic and technical nuances of individual designs, in favour of a sort of baseline that can be applied to whatever happens to be on hand.

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Noted. I guess like anything the finer details don't become relevant until mastery of the basics are achieved. Good to know my critical thinking skills hit the correct mark though and I don't have to pull up knife fighting again and recant my statements : P.

Sorry for the random question guys! I was describing the board posted in this thread and didn't want to start a whole new one cluttering up the section. Thanks for the info.!

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It was a good question, my friend.

12. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I've seen some poeple use a sinturon (belt in tagalog), for trapping.

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Pingaa- the wooden yoke that a lot of the street vendors use to carry their wares around while trying to make a living.. It is usually made out of hardwood and can be up to 4 to 5 feet long and the principle of its use is almost the same as a sibat

14. shootodog

The difference is badjac is made from carabao (water buffalo) horn. Dulo dulo is just a carved and sharpened palm stick made from hard wood.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Interesting. The dulo-dulo I've seen advertised have claimed to be patterned after the carabao horn. But not made from it.

16. lawin

lawin Valued Member

I think this is the right thread for my ?. What does a baladao look like? In my limited arnis training ive trained with a talibong (sinuwak style) for the espada and a wooden knife that suppose to represent a baladao or the daga. Talibong is bolo sword in my dialect the sinuwak term is taken from a part of a coconut. Once ive taken a pic i'll post it here. Im struggling to describe the espada. Other arnis styles and also common in our place is using the ginunting bolo. Primarily for hacking.

17. shootodog

Sarong for trapping and choking

18. lawin

lawin Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. lawin

lawin Valued Member

[​IMG]
    Walang patawad arnis. (no forgiveness arnis. Correct translation?) hehe
    [​IMG]

Sinuwak & ginunting.

[​IMG]

arnisadors fave weapons.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  20. unpossible

unpossible Valued Member

Is this what you're talking about? Looks nasty.

[​IMG]