Lin Kuei?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by MerKaBa, Dec 10, 2004.

1. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

After reading that thread on the Korean Sulsa I became interested and did a bit more research and came across a name of another ninja-type clan known as the Lin Kuei.

Now I think we all know this name from playing video games such as Mortal Kombat (I mean who doesn't love Sub-Zero?), but I had no idea that there was any truth behind that story I simply assumed it was made up by game creators. The fact that Lin Kuei and Sulsa were used in the same sentence made me think that the Sulsa was complete fantasy also, but then I realized that I would be ignorant to think that without doing proper research first. So I tried doing some more research on the Lin Kuei earlier today, but it's impossible to tell if anything I'm reading is true, or if it was a story made up by some arcade geek. Anyway, now I'm curious if there is any truth behind the story of the ninja clan that supposedly based itself in China so long ago... though I doubt there is, but I thought I'd post a thread to discuss it anyway ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Okay, after talking to a few people I found out that they were a real clan, but I still didn't get that much specific info on them. If anyone can give me a link to a site with info on the REAL Lin Kuei that would be great ;)

3. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If memory serves (and it doesn't always) then Leung Ting wrote a book some years back called "Skills of the Vagabonds" which was about the Lin Kuei.

If memory continues to serve it was crap....

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

If memory serves, "Leung Ting" was another name used by "Ashida Kim" and is Haha Lung..

6. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

He he, good ol' Ashida Kim with his delusions of grandeur :) I'm tempted to read one of his books, but I refuse to pay.

7. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

He has one on his website; it is hilarious.

8. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

I might be wrong but I thought the Leung Ting that wrote that book was the same Leung Ting of wing tsun fame.

Are you thinking of "Li Hsing", a supposed lin kuei master who wrote two books on the subject, both of which consisted entirely of very Kimesque donkey poo! :D

I've never come across any reliable sources on the lin kuei, which makes me think that, like the sulsa, they are another fantasy created purely for marketing purposes.

9. SATOKAN

SATOKAN Valued Member

The lin kuei were the 'gypsies' of China. There was a strong connection to the occult (talismans, alchemistry, etc.) which explains the 'mystery' surrounding them. They made a living as would a travelling circus, yet practiced a severe system of martial arts (kung-fu), known today as the vagabond's style. There were two main groups, the most popular known as the red amulet sect; I dont recall the name of the other one. There is a slight link between them and the ninja although, at this time, there is no documented evidence, but then again, not all that has occured in the martial arts has been documented, regardless of popular opinion. I hope this was a little helpful.

10. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Leung Ting is actually a real person. He teaches Wing Tsun (AKA Wing Chun) and studied under Yip Man along with William Cheng and Bruce Lee.

See http://www.leungting.com/eng/index.htm

11. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

See, memory doesn't serve. That's what happens as you get older kids.

That and bad ukemi when you're younger! :)

12. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

Haha, I'm sure someone here will be happy to lend you one. Apparently they are even available in some libraries :D

13. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

He has one on his site for free download.

14. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

And it's worth every penny! :D

15. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Why was it crap, Hannibal? Was it because the book is poorly written? Was it a boring story? Or was it madeup? What does Wing Chun have to do with the Lin Kuei?

16. Obake

Obake Valued Member

17. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Has any new information popped up about the lin kuei since 2004?

18. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Brother where is the old information again? You keep asking about works that don't really exist, except for things you can get from mailing in ads from magazines. "Skills of the Vagabonds" is not a real work chronicling anything in the historical sense. It is a fantasy my man ;)

19. Obake

Obake Valued Member

I was actually referencing the information that Sadokan provided in 2004.

And who is Grandmaster Cheng Kai Ming of the Vagabond Style Kung Fu, is he fictional too?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  20. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

That's what I meant by information that's not information brother, he just made a claim they aren't the same thing. In the same vein brother what information do you have there was ever a "Cheng Kai Ming of the Vagabond Style"? That's the best way to answer for yourself if he's 'fictional' or not. :D