Limited Equipment Workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Roual, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

I posted a very brief topic on T-Nation basically asking if it was possible to get bigger / stronger using the very limited setup at my gym. The general consensus was to join another gym or go for bodyweight exercises instead.

This annoyed me, although I can't exactly say why. I think it was the distinct lack of imagination that people showed, so, I had a think, read some articles by various authors and came up with the following.

First off, the equipment I have to work with:
    Fixed weight dumbbells ranging from 6kg to 34kg going up in 2kg increments.
    Fixed weight barbells ranging from 10kg to 45kg going up in 5kg increments.
    Cable machine going up to just under 50kg on each stack (2 stacks, 1 per cable).
    Chin-up / Pull-up bars (on the cable machine).
    Various weight machines, 'better' ones include Seated Leg Press, Chest Flye / Reverse Flye, Lat Pulldown (not cable unfortunately) and various swiss balls / bosu balls.

(There are a few other machines, but I can't use these without significant physical discomfort. I'm 6' 6", and the machines aren't that adjustable).

My main goals are size and strength, so, I'm figuring on the following exercises for the following reasons.

Lower Body
    1. Leg Press Machine
    2. Front Squat (45kg isn't much, but I'm still learning this one)
    3. Bulgarian Split Squats
    4. Pistol Squats (can only manage 1 one a good day)
    5. Lunges
    6. 1 Leg Deadlift (using dumbbells)
    7. 1 Leg Stiff Leg Deadlift (using dumbbells)
    Upper Body
    1. Cable Machine Row
    2. DB Row (close to managing 34kg, so probably use this as higher rep exercise
    3. Pull Up (various grips, plus weighted when I can do more than 5)
    4. Lat Pulldown Machine (I know, it's only to add variety)
    5. DB Overhead Press
    6. DB Bench (34kg isn't a great bench, but I have some shoulder problems I'm trying to rehab, so don't bench much anyway)
    Full Body
    1. DB Snatch (never actually done these before)
    2. Squat Cleans (think that's the right name, and again, 45kg isn't great, but never done them before)

You'll probably disagree with my categorising of some of them, but hey, it's my post so I'll put them where I want.

As for the workouts themselves, I'll probably try a high / low rep push / pull type routine, hitting the gym 4 times a week (see Thib's Push-Pull workout for an idea).

Anyone have any comments / suggestions / thoughts / criticisms / jokes?

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I think what they're thinking is that you'll breeze through what you have pretty quickly and you'll be working primarily on endurance rather than strength.

My suggestion-
    Search Craigslist.com for a power rack
    Get a 300lb weight set from a store

3. Roual

I know what you mean. I'll hit the maximum weight I can get out of those weights fairly quickly then have to add reps / sets for any sort of progression.

I must admit I am struggling to find a way of improving some exercises. Things like chin-ups and pistol squats, I don't think there's any fear of me hitting the maximum weight any time soon. But DB bench press, I'm almost there anyway.

I am planning on joining a better gym in a few months (probably just after xmas at this rate, with all the new years resolution gym goers), but I still need something to tide me over until then.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

If you're joining a new gym in a couple months, then you can get by with what you have. I'm not sure what funds you ahve access to, but you can always purchase 5/8" chains from a boating supply store to add weight to your bar for benching and etc.

But...if you're joining a gym in a couple months, then just add reps and sets.

5. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

What kind of ghetto-gym is that?

Can you do dead lifts and cleans?

6. Roual

Unfortunately, living in a small town in the UK, that's actually better than a lot of the gyms I've seen.

I sometimes do dead lifts with the two 34kg dumbbells, but they don't really push me that much, I can crank out sets of 10 reps and only stop when my grip gives out.

Cleans I've never really mastered. I keep trying to nail them, but can't seem to get the technique right (if anyone has any instructional videos they'd like to send me a link to...).

Speaking of dead lifts, what do you guys think of dead lifting on a cable machine, could get up to a weight of 96kg on there, possibly more if I try adding bands or tying dumbbells to the bar.

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Jax - the gyms in the UK cater 80% for cardio bunnies and 35yr old soccer moms.

most gyms in the UK are franchised where they are short on space and therefore have to cater for the market where they earn the most money from, so they cram as many cardio machines in as possible.

The second consideration is weight machines so an entire product line of machines is lined up, weights usually max out at 100kg (220lbs).

The final consideration is the free weight area, chrome dumbbells are the first purchase followed by a dumbbell rack ranging from 2kg to 40kg, dumbbells after that are a rare sight (i have a pair of 50's [110lb'rs] in my gym but too much of a leap).

If your lucky you get a free weight bench in a power rack along with a complimentary smith rack... throw in 1-3 benches and thats it...

bodybuilding/powerlifting gyms cater for a niche market and therefore a rare sight...

in america you have huge warehouse sized gyms like golds,worlds etc... no chance here sadly

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Do you mean like a pull through?
    Like this...
    http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vi...gsToPDskIzSaHoawooRUsDPoun_rH3&rel=1&border=0

There good.

Or you could do single leg deadlifts
    Lol or single leg pull throughs :p

And maybe do weighted sternum pullups for the upper body. Db rows.

9. JaxMMA

Hmm interesting, I didn't know that. I just assumed that it would be very similair to here. I'd have to agree thou that most of the gyms here are pretty big...and big portion of that space is occupied by useless equipment (IMO), tanning room, and a hair saloon - while there's only a small portion dedicated to the free weights. Way too many soccer moms here I guess :)

10. Roual

To give you an idea, the gym I go to has 23 pieces of cardio machinery (treadmills, bikes, eliptical machines, etc), 12 pieces of weight machinery (chest press, leg press, etc) and 2 benches. I do keep bugging to owner about getting some decent weights since there is a large portion of people who go there purely for the free weights, but no luck so far.

I don't mind the soccer mum part of it, but pictures will have to be provided :D

11. JaxMMA

That sux
    I'll have to do an official count of the cardio machines and other useless stuff tomorrow :)
    BTW they are dedicating a room for hairsaloon inside the gym :)

12. Roual

Isn't that what hair-dressers are for?

I forgot to mention that my gym also has a 'Dance Studio' used to hold aerobic classes which is the size of the gym itself, and a separate bike room for spin classes, again, about half the size of the gym. Just think of all the equipment they could fit in if they got rid of one (or both) of them... :rolleyes:

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

here in the states we call them women's gyms :D

sorry to hear about your misfortunes thou

14. JaxMMA

Unfortunately the Powerhouse gym I go to is one of those women's gyms, but it's the only one that has the biggest free-weight area around here. I haven't found any real guy-gyms...except for the one where they occasionaly do crossfit, but it's too far.

@Roual
    Yeah, same here. They took away the boxing room and made a big dance studio for aerobics class. On top of that there is about half of the gym with small private rooms dedicated for one-on-one sessions for people who are too "shy" to work out in the big area where the rest of the folks work out.

15. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

16. JaxMMA

I come in late around 11 p.m. so no women for me :( maybe one or two once in a while but they are usually over 40... :rolleyes:
    However, morning and afternoon is a different story :p

17. Roual

Did I mention that because of where my gym is situated, the general female population is heavier than I am (I weight 15 1/2 stone) and tend to live off fast food?

Damn, no wonder I get weird looks when I do things like front squats and stiff legged dead lifts, they probably think 'damn, that's too much work for this place, he should go somewhere else'.

18. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

I quit the gym

Since me and my girlfriend bough our house i dont go to the gym anymore, i bough myself a multi station where i can do vertical bench press, leg curls, leg extentions, lat pulldown, low pulley rows, and more.

I also have a flat bench and some dumbells, if you eat good you will make gains for sure.

There are different ways to up the intensity when you are limited.

I also do bodyweight squats, lunges and push ups.

I am scared to death of doing heavy squats and deadlifts because i broke my lower back in 2001 and am still seeing a chiro for this.