Light green urine from a multi-vitamin?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boogz, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Boogz

Boogz New Member

I just started taking this multi-vitamin, and mine and my dad's urine is really light green when we use it. All I drink is water, but maybe I'm not getting enough in a day. what's wrong?

Thanks.

2. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

sounds bad

3. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

It's normal. Any water-soluble vitamins that are not absorbed are eliminated from the body throught your urine.

4. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Which means that a significant percentage of the vitamins youre intaking are being wasted. This is part of the reason I dont use multi-vitamins. Drinking more water will help. Eating healthy food and dropping the multi-vitamin altogether will help more.

5. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. YES its perfectly normal. Especially if theres lots of B vitamin in (makes yellow or green color).

6. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Once you get some more water into you, your urine starts to turn clear again, from what I've experiened. I've only had a vibrant and/or deep yellow in the morning, then I get a huge glass or two in me, and within an hour or two I'm peeing clearish again.:D

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

It will be the B vitamins that are causing the greenish colour. Water soulble vitamins (Mainly B&C) cannot be stored in the body & need to be replenished each day.

Obviously your body does not need the extra B vitamins so they are being excreted in urine. Do you have marmite in the US? If so your **** might smell a bit 'marmitey'...seriously :)

B vitamin can actually cause problems if taken in excess. So change your vitamin intake or eat your greens(excuse the pun!)

Just noticed JKD forever has slipped the bit about B vits in while I've been typing :rolleyes:

8. Boogz

Boogz New Member

I only take it once, with breakfast. That can't be taking it in excess, right?

9. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Drinking plenty of water will replenish your system as the urine will go back to clear, rather than dark yellow. Dark yellow urine also happens when you drink alcohol too.

As Alcohol almost absorbs water as like salt.

Maybe the B-Vitamin is too much, because the vitamin wouldn't be wasted when it would be digested if it weren't too much.

Multi Vitamins like Centrum, have small doses of each vitamin and mineral that you need to get your day started ^_^. I think that'll work fairly good.

Not recommended for younger children tho.

10. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, yellow color is not a sign of excess B vitamin. one pill is not too much. And there are far far far better MV than centrum (FDA regulated doses which are small). Centrum is for old ppl :D

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I always thought the point of taking a multi-vitamin was to top up any vits/mins that you're accidentally overlooking in your daily diet. I've always taken it as a given that much of it will be wasted. E.g. if your vit pill gives you 100% RDA vitamin C, but you're getting a fair amount from consuming fresh fruit and veg anyway, then you won't want another 60mg from the pill or you'll be getting too much. :confused:

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

What kind of problems? And how much is "excess"?

13. Gajah Silat

I doubt you will be overdosing if you are using a bog standard multivitamin, but beware those high dose ones!

Since the B vitamins are water-soluble, they are flushed out of your body, but there are two B vitamins you can overdose on, vitamins B3 (Niacin) and B6.
    Excessive intake of niacin will cause flushing of the skin, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, liver dysfunction, and glucose intolerance.

Excessive intake of vitamin B6 will cause neurological abnormalities and damage. Do not substitute niacin for niacinamide, the high dose is toxic.

I'll find out what an excessive dose is.

By the way

You can get B vitamins from food sources, such as brown rice, egg yolks, fish, legumes, liver, peanuts, peas, pork, poultry, wheat germ, and whole grains. Other sources are spinach, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, brewer’s yeast, and fresh vegetables

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  14. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

If I remember correctly the flourescent green colour comes from riboflavin (vitamin B2.)

15. Gajah Silat

That's OK, if you like your **** green, there have been no known reports of riboflavin overdose :)

However B6 is a different matter

"Current advice on vitamin B6 is being re-emphasised. The Agency advises against taking more than 10mg/day of vitamin B6 from dietary supplements unless acting on medical advice. High intakes taken over a long period of time can lead to a loss of feeling in the arms and legs." UK FSA

http://www.foodlaw.rdg.ac.uk/news/uk-98-15.htm

UK FSA RDAs

Recommended daily allowance

Vitamins:

Vitamin A
    800 mg

Vitamin D
    5 mg

Vitamin E
    10 mg

Vitamin C
    60 mg

Thiamin
    1.4 mg

Riboflavin
    1.6 mg

Niacin
    18 mg

Vitamin B6
    2 mg

Folacin
    200 mg

Vitamin B12
    1 mg

Biotin
    0.15 mg

Pantothenic acid
    6 mg

16. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Depends...
    Check the amounts of each ingredient onthe side...In my opinion, if any of those ingredients are in excess of a couple hundred mg, then its more than you need to be taking at one time, your body wont be able to store all of it. If its a solid pill, split the pill in half, take one half at breakfast, take another half at dinner or something. Spread it out, dont burn holes in your stomach...

17. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

GS wrote:

It is a bit misleading to present this information in this way. Remember RDAs are based on avoiding a deficiency state not on achieving a state of optimum metabolic health. Now compare this RDA with the dosage range which in studies actually results in a few instances of neurotoxicity: 500-1000mg/day. To reach this range you would need to take daily either 5 typical one-a-day 'mega B' tabs or 10 typical high-stength one-a-day multivitamin tabs!

18. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

This caught my eye as I'm going to be supplementing with ZMA shortly.

B6, RDA: 2mg
    In ZMA: 15mg (750% RDA!) http://www.myprotein.co.uk/now-foods/sports-nutrition/zma/zma.cfm

However, from what I can tell, it's generally agreed that toxic levels can start at anything from 100mg up to 2000mg *phew!*

"Daily intake shouldn't exceed: 100mg"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/complementary_medicine/remedies_vitamins.shtml

"Daily doses over 500mg are not recommended."
    Earl Mindell, "The Vitamin Bible", Arlington Books, 1987. (Oops, that's a bit old!)

"Very large doses of more than 1000mg can be dangerous and cause poisoning and damage to the peripheral nervous system, including disturbing the sense of touch."
    From a little book called "Vitamins and Minerals" Geddest & Grossett, 1996.

"Supplementation should be controlled as extreme dosage, such as in excess of 2,000 mg per day, may cause neurological damage."
    http://www.anyvitamins.com/vitamin-b6-pyridoxine-info.htm

Well, if nothing else, that's set my mind at rest that I won't get b6 poisoning from ZMA! :D

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

RDAs are pathetic. 60mg of Vit C a day? You're kidding me. I take 1000mg single tabs. I know of people who take a LOT more, Charles Poliquin actually gives it through an IV to some of his clients.

20. Boogz

Boogz New Member

I'll post the ingredients tomarrow, after school.