Light Continuous : whats your views?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kickboxingidiot, Dec 30, 2005.

1. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Well I have my First Light contionuous Tournament on Sunday, so i'll give a more personal response then.

Although I dont really think the glove requirement is suitable for it to be called "Light" anything. (10oz+), be interesting to see how Jun Fan, Kali Sikuran, panantukan etc... stand up to more conventional kickboxing.

2. b33p.us

b33p.us Member

100% agree, good post.

3. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

light continuous? there is no such thing in the kkaw nemore, full contact and light contact contiuous are the same even tho they are called different things, just aswell because light contact got on my nerves, unfortunaly newbies are afraid to compete now, i saw a girls match the other day and a newbie went up against the world champion, i felt so sorry for her but she should never have entered. they had to stop the world champion from hitting her becasue she was so scared.

4. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

light continuous has a problem of VERY bad matchmaking
    the promoters for L-con need to separate the leagues up in order to stop such butcherin taking place.

the open tournament format is not a good system unless you get a lot of novices OR a lot of seasonsed competitors.

5. seyah

seyah Valued Member

And thats the reason they have the differing contact levels. Students have to start somewhere and to put that person on the mat with a seasoned fighter is a total disgrace. :eek:

That has probably lost the MA's a possible next world ranked fighter.

I hate siht like that :mad: .

LC is a great started or even a great finisher eg for instructors or students getting on a bit who wish to compeate but where the FC is too much to handle remember most boxers retire at around 30 to 34. so if you have a 40 to 60 year old still compeating in LC then full respect. I teach Freestyle & points im 41 now and still compeate however that is in the points side as years of heavy smoking played havok with my staminer. :cry: :cry:

I totaly agree.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  6. billythekid

billythekid New Member

Just to let you know, Adrian Bedlow does not compete anymore but he does teach. He's my sensei.

7. spyder mk2

spyder mk2 New Member

I think Dale would be good

How would Dale Wood(for example) do if he were to step onto the mat and fight the lieks of Sean Viera/adrian bedlow,...etc?
    Maybe im a bit out of the scene of l-con so maybe these 2 old names arent around anymore?
    or are they?
    JCH should know[/QUOTE]

I was just browsing and noted this remark regarding Dale Wood. I think Dale would do just great in this style of fighting. I have trained with him on a number of occasions in light contact and his speed and technical excecution were superb. Dale has set up his own club called Jesters in Matlock, Derbyshire and last year he entered one of his juniors into the WAKO European championship in which he became European champion in guess what light continuos

8. Can I ask which division he entered (if you know). This isn't a "omg I dont believe you" thread. I'm just interested as I competed in this tournament myself last year.

9. kickboxingidiot

I was just browsing and noted this remark regarding Dale Wood. I think Dale would do just great in this style of fighting. I have trained with him on a number of occasions in light contact and his speed and technical excecution were superb. Dale has set up his own club called Jesters in Matlock, Derbyshire and last year he entered one of his juniors into the WAKO European championship in which he became European champion in guess what light continuos[/QUOTE]

I dont doubt Dale woods ability for a second. I have trained with dale and sparred with dale on a number of occasions. Now at a very basic level i.e. the EMA yes Dale would come out on top but at the very top level in light continuous he would struggle against some of the flashier kickers and more slippery fighters with perhaps a higher work rate.
    Over a number of rounds , i..e a 5 rounder eventually he would stop them with superior power but under L-con rules , different game im afraid but there would be no harm in Mr Wood having a go.

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I got involved in a small discussion on Light Continuous.

I'm gonna start a Kung Fu style soon (either Wing Chun or Choy Lay Fut) And I asked if both instructors (cause they are friends and teach out of the same school) if they competed, since their "mother" school produces some good San Shou fighters. The Wing Chun instructor said he competes in San Shou, and I asked the CLF instructor if he did. He said he will eventually, but he competed in some Light Continuous bouts.

In the USA, what are the rules for Light Continuous, and which organization has those rules. (the IKF doesnt, I believe) He told me about them, and they seem pretty good. (he even got DQed once or twice for using a sau choi lol)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  11. Basically it's the same as full contact but you use less power. Thus, it is still continuous (you don't stop after each point) and you win by decision rather than KO, TKO etc.

It's often fought on mats as opposed to a ring, which is IMO the key thing that separates it from the other full contact kickboxing styles/rulesets.

12. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Why is that? is it because you cant trap them on the ropes if your on the mat?

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Do you reccomend them? Cause eventually I would like to compete in San Shou. And the CLF instructor said that if I decide to take CLF insted of Wing Chun, that I have to be 18 to compete in San Shou.

But he said that I could compete in Light Continuous and that's it's a great start, basically like "getting my foot in the door" so to speak.

14. kickboxingidiot

Light continuous is an excellent precursor to the ringsport version of kickboxing.
    A lot of fighters from our gym will do l-con first the branch out into Full contact or K-1 events.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

For l-con, what organizations host it in the US?

Also in l-con iis their a required kick limit as in full contact?

16. The judging criteria states "Equal emphasis on kicks and punches".

As for US organisations, I'd have thought the major ones such as WAKO had US branches. I know the WKA do too. I don't, however, know about the more minor associations...

The IKF have a similar thing called "point kickboxing" (PKB) which is basically a cross between semi contact and light continuous. The fight is continuous and with light contact, but points are designated for each strike. I'll try and find the article about it on their website later.

EDIT: http://ikfkickboxing.com/PKB.htm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok thank you.

Sounds like a good way to start in the sport.

I read on the IKF's website (about the Point Kickboxing), and I thought it was point sparring and I don't want that. But if it's just another name for l-con, that's cool.

Edit: So is Point Kickboxing is l-con, with a different name?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007