Life in every breath

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Greyghost, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

There is a line in "The Last samurai" ....

"Life in every Breath"

Do you waste your life. Or do you live your life to its fullest?

Comments please.

2. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

I try but it's often hard.
    Sometimes you have to sacrafice short term happiness for long term happiness. The example that comes to mind for me first is I'm doing exams at the moment; Obviously I don't enjoy them now but in the long run they will be very helpful.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  3. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

well..that thread went down like a badly made submarine

4. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Keep your knickers on buddy! Give a girl a chance!

LIFE in every breath...yes, not venom and and vindictiveness but affirming, positive breath

Life in EVERY breath...yes, not just when someone is patting me on the head and agreeing with me but when I have to make my own way too!

Life in every BREATH...yes, time is short and the breath I use must be for good, not to punish or lie.

So yeah, I try to. I travel where I want to go, I study what I want and I keep friends who are dear. I also eat LOTS of really good food. A life well lived - they say it is the best revenge!!!!

5. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

This is true but there is a balance that must be preserved. Try not to sacrifice the moment for a future that may not come to pass. I'm in the same boat as you and studying was high up on my priorities list. But several of my friends were going sick from stress and doing very little but studying. That is no way to live. Plan for tomorrow, live for today.

6. Tika

Tika New Member

Im very happy with my life, and I think Ive really started to live "in the now" over the past few years. All through school (not including my last two years of college) I was wishing everything away. I wasnt happy with myself, or the situation I was in. When I was in middle school I rememeber thinking "once I get to Highschool everything will be better, life will be good" and I wished it away. Once I got to Highschool all I thought was "I cant wait until I graduate and go to College, then my life will start." Then said the same thing in college. But I started to realize my "life" wasnt going to start until I made it start. So I began doing what I wanted, what made me happy. After that point I think Ive been living life to its fullest.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Martial arts is the perfect analogy. Everyone always talks about, "When I become a blackbelt....". Then they get there and then what? Life, like martial arts training is in the journey, not the destiny. Enjoying life, the people, the experience, the sights sounds, feelings, THAT is life. Not, the big house, car, bank accounts.

Those are nice, but I know a few incredibly wealthy people who's life was happier when they were just starting out, dirt poor, than when they were wealthy and seemed to have everything.

8. RAD

RAD New Member

Live life the best you can. :)

My husband and I were reminded these past few weeks on how precious life is. Our good friends had a baby a couple of weeks ago and the little one was having an incredibly tough time breathing on its own. She spent her first two weeks of life in neonatal intensive care. Thankfully she has come home safe and sound but it made us appreciate all that we have.

9. AntonToo

AntonToo New Member

you dont gotta do nothing :), you breathe you live, a difnition in itself

10. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Well, some people see living life to the fullest as doing as many drugs as they can and going crazy, which in there opinion would be living life to its fullest, yet if your not an idiot, you see that its actually wasting your life to the fullest. But in a way, i dont think many people do live there lives to the fullest, i know i dont, but i try to keep myself happy. I think if i really wanted to live life to its fullest, i would forget about all of my normal everyday duties and things im constrained to, say the hell with it, and go out and see the whole world with no worrys about anything. But obviously most people will not throw down everything to go see everything. Today, my day consisted of wakeing up, eating a small breakfast, going to the bank, playing some computer games, driving around town, eating some more, training alittle, talking on the phone, then sitting here and typing on the forums. Now that was an alrite day for me to just kinda hang out and not do to much. But if i was living life to its fullest, i could have made the day a thousand times more productive, but even knowing this, i did not do it. If you see an oppurtunity, you just gotta do it, makes life more interesting than just saying, eh, maybe next time, or, ah im to tired. But you also have to keep some sense in mind, just a few days ago, 4 people i knew were drunk driving on the highway, and flipped the car, 2 were killed, now although driving while drunk like that would seem fun at the moment, its not fun when your upside down with your friend next to you missing part of her head. Now after thinking about how much i actually waste aloty of my days, i think im gonna go do a whole load of things tomorrow! Yay, i cant wait.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  11. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I think it does not have so much to do with living life to the fullest (i.e. doing everything you can, taking advantage of everything, etc...) as it does with realizing that there is "life" in every moment. There is as much beuty to be seen in a sunset as there is in a friend's hello. As much sweetness in a baby's smile as in a Werther's Butterscotch. Too many people think that life is meant to be lived at other people's expense or sacrifice, when all it really takes is an appreciation and foresight to "see" truly See, all that is out there and in one's heart. Life in every breath. Even if you do something horrible today, realize that tomorrow you mayhave the chance to make up for it. And if that never comes to pass, learn from what you did, so that you may never do it again. Life in every breath. Learn something new every day. If you don't, you grow stagnant and die. Maybe not physically, but inside, you wither and die.

Sorry, rambling.

12. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Not at all, you've summed up the idea very well. The secret is not found in getting more, it's in being aware of what you have. We become familiar with the things around us and loose our awareness of them. For example:

I grew up in Seattle, after living their for 17 years I became quite used to the climate, culture and scenery. I was bored with the area and just wanted to get away. I joined the service, did some travelling and settled here in the desert. Now everytime I go to visit relatives in the pacific northwest I'm like a kid on Christmas eve. I don't want to sleep for fear that I'll miss a moment. The cool moist air, the smell of pine and saltwater mingling on the beach, the vibrant shades of green everywhere. The shaded silence provided by the dense forests and the play of rays of sunlight on the mossy forrest floor. Every sight, sound, smell, taste, and sensation is something to be savored.

hmm...seems I've started rambling as well ;)

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

ROFLMAO

I nearly did a cain there except the coke was tennents :D

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, we all should try doing it, but unfortunately it doesn't always turn out the way we want it, or sometimes we are not smart or wise enough to make the right decisions. i guess we come to understand that later when we are more experienced and wiser, but that might be ok too because we can't have the same opinion when we are 15 and 30, right?! so in every phase or stage of our life we should live by certain rules and principles and do something for ourselves too. we all have dreams but what's the point if we don't fullfill them, at least some of them...

15. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

My best friend of 9 years recently lost her baby son to cot death. Before this happened, we were both floundering and unhappy, not sure what to do with life and basically wasting it. This has been a terrrible few months, but it has made us realise you have to live for today, so she has gotten out of a bad job and into a good one. I have sorted out my college courses as well as my injury management in judo. Only small things I know, but enough to make both of us feel we are going somewhere now. Ky will always be with everyone who loved him, but we are all trying to make him proud now.

16. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I am really sorry to hear that. I hope both you and your friend have many happy memories of Ky and keep his memory strong and close to your hearts. My sympathies.

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I am not a very philisophical person and try not to read too much into life and merely live it ... a very spontaneous person I might add.

I've aways seen the glass as half full .... a very positive person even through the "bad" times.

The older we get we do realize how precious time in our lives is, and should try not to waste that half a glass! :D ;) ... and take deep breaths!

Cheers! :D

[​IMG]

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

it's not half-empty or half-full, it's a badly poured glass of wine. :D

19. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Why use a glass anyway??? :confused:

Straight from the tap I say!! :D

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Half-full, nah half-empty and I'm gonna spill the rest anyway! :( Just kidding, I have encountered people with that attitude and they are just a downer. You have to make your own luck, seize opportunities and not let the little crap get you down. There will always be obstacles, circumstances or jealous people who want to take you down. Our job is to survive it, overcome it, vanquish it and live well! :D