Liero's Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by liero, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sounds tough but fun and you're learning a lot!

Mitch

2. liero

liero Valued Member

Did lots of defensive chest protector drills after some light sparring today.
    Normally I would smash these drills but I had trouble with distance, technique and power from muscle fatigue.

After the AM session I slept for HOURS today. Is there a point when too much sleep is bad for the body? I think I'm spending more time sleeping than awake by a pretty significant proportion.

Tomorrow is a national holiday like christmas in Spain, we have the same amount of sessions but they should finish by about 1pm, after that the weekend is off. Going to go into Barcelona to do some shopping and see sights but really looking forward to the days off for my muscles to recover!

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Spot on...More sparring tomorrow apparently! :bang:

4. liero

liero Valued Member

AM- Same resistance training as yesterday.

It's a national holiday in Spain- We trained at 11 instead of in the afternoon/evening so everyone could have the weekend inc friday off
    AM AGAIN-
    1st 1/2 of the session was a strange series of games! I wondered what the spanish were doing to produce so many champions and clearly it's a factor of "work hard, play hard"
    Things like leapfrog races, more foam sword sparring and the like.
    After this we did about 30-45 minutes of light sparring, including a drill where you have to fight in a 3x3 ring, this was fun but intense- everybody took it a little more lighthearted, which basically meant you cheer when someone gets kicked in the head, or injured.

In the afternoon a few of the guys took me into Barcelona and showed me some sights, it was pretty cool. It's nice to have someone who knows their way around showing you the sights. You get too see things you wouldn't have otherwise!

5. liero

liero Valued Member

1st day of the new training week!

Yesterday a whole bunch of people from the other training place in Madrid rocked up, including the -80 player who will be going to euro qualifiers.

This morning him and I did Max lifts for 4 leg and 4 upper body exercises, which I assume will form the basis of our program for the next few weeks.

Upper

Bench- 40kgx4 (Pathetic I know)
    Lat Pull Down- Cant remember
    Triceps- ?
    Bicep- ?

Lower

Leg Curl
    Leg extension
    2 strange exercises on a angled platform, ill take a video of them and upload.

Obviously the upper body exercises are pretty lame, and I'm not too fussed by machines either, but I just did the exercises he did. The lifting is supplementary to the training and doing heavy squats 3 times a week might be too much for my body to handle.

After this we did some "speed" training, waiting for a command of GO and sprinting as fast as possible.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. liero

liero Valued Member

Tuesday.

AM

Warm up, light sparring, running etc
    Speed kicks for fitness. Lots of multiple kick combinations.
    One I particularly like was moving back and kicking alternate defensive turning kicks (4) and then immediately attacking with 2 roundhouse kicks. Really trains the body to explode straight into attacks from defense.

Finished with some scenario padwork from the corner, when in the corner and when attacking the person in the corner.

PM

(very similar to monday technical)

Warm up, chest guards and pads on.

2 minute rounds, alternating between attacker and defender.
    Various defensive drills, e.g. attacker comes in front leg turning kick, defender slides out and double. all with contact, like situational sparring.

Note: Spanish people are defiantly spanish and are very good with their cut kicks which were difficult to get around when we did those drills, its a technique I need to improve as its so effective with the electronic system.

WEDNESDAY

AM: PLYOMETRICS AND SPEED TRAINING

Did some warming up, speed and reaction training then a pretty intense plyometric circut

10 second intervals, 2 sets per station. 3 rounds of the whole set with 1 minute breaks between- All as fast as possible

1. Balancing on Gym Ball, on stomach (active recovery)
    2. On low hurdle, jump one legs cross over (criss cross) on jump two feet apart too normal legs apart (shoulder width) alternate sides to criss cross each time
    3. sprint on spot style over a hurdle, e.g. left leg over, right leg over, left leg back, right leg back
    4. two hurdles approx 4 meters apart, side step from one to the other
    5. Plyo box, jump up, on landing throw RH chamber, change legs each time (1person goes once, 2nd set other person
    6. around a big plyo box, one leg up, both legs up, one leg down, both legs down (1person per set)
    7. hurdles lined up after a plyo box. Jump off box and through hurdles (5?) on last one do 360 spin
    8. big box set up, start with feet in and then jump so both feet out of box then back in, repeat

More intense than it sounds...

PM:

Normalish warmups, lots of shadow kicking up and down hall.

Partnering up and stretch, Front kick partner assisted and then side/rh partner assisted. Dont throw hip out when you do this, keep it textbook, shoulder hip and kicking leg all in a line.
    Parnter side kick.

Partner acts as target, various head kicks.

Approx 2 min rounds
    Then hogu drills 2 min rounds.
    Lots of drills for front foot counter which was very good.

After this the rest of the people did round work on the pad, I did things a little different.

the Spanish coach, with the help of a fly weight named Pepe. helped address the biomechanical failures in my technique which made me throw a (comparatively) retarded roundhouse kick.

It was hilariously demonstrated by him throwing roundhouse kicks like me, then showing the proper form. Slightly embarrassing but entirely serious.

Simple changes to stance, execution of the kick, and some take home exercises to improve hip strength and position are the solution!

This was one of those moments when you go "a-ha!" and realise how silly some of the things you've been doing are...Good times!

I got a massage today at the physio after the AM session as the last few days were really intense, I couldn't walk properly. Really helped with the calfs which were feeling like rubbish. Also threw on a whole bunch of this thai oil which is like tiger balm after PM training.

Thursday.

AM_ RECOVERY!!!!!

Thank God! We did recovery today. Warm up with running sparring etc, then 20 mins massage and swap.

Very good

PM- Technical
    Warm up, running, knees, jump and on landing sprint, stuff like that
    Good stretch

Iran pad training.
    Heaps of combo's favourite drills were:
    you throw roundhouse and pad holder determines if you need to move forward, back or on spot by moving before presenting the target...GOOD DRILL for distance
    Same with front leg, then do multiple kicks, great for reaction

Finish up with the exercises for fixing my kick
    This was a quality work out. Felt a real difference with the rest, new stance, and kicks came out better. Very good !

7. liero

liero Valued Member

TRAINING PLAN UNTILL JULY

I am going into heavy preparation for international competition selection. The 2 targeted events are World University Championships (late may) and World Cup Selections (Late June).

I will follow the following weekly plan.

M.
    Am- Strength Pm- TKD Skills
    T
    Am- Rest Pm- Run (endurance)
    W
    Am- Plyo circut Pm- TKD Skills
    T
    Am- Run PM- TKD Skills
    F
    Am- Strength PM- Run (endurance)
    S
    Am- TKD Skills PM- Rest or fill in any missed physical sessions
    Sunday = Rest and sleep like a lion!

I'm currently in the middle of a 4 week endurance phase, I'm also in the starting process of a strength program.

Runs are 3x per week and are simply 12 minutes as far and fast as possible followed by a really good stretch. The gym workout is mostly compound (with a little aesthetic isolations) for 10 reps 3 sets. in 2 weeks I will drop the sets and spend the next 12-16 weeks focussing on the 5 rep range and just get really really strong.

In about 3 weeks we are moving into speed endurance training. This is good timing for me as I've worked out the competitions I want to go to for preparation for these comps.
    Ideally we want to compete every week but the scene for TKD in Aus isn't good enough and it costs an arm and a leg to get anywhere with that regularity of competitions.

SO

COMP Dates:

10-11 March QLD- 4 weeks away
    31st March-1st April Vic - 2 weeks after that
    17th-18th March (possible) NZ Open ('International' competition) (1 week between the 2 other comps
    29th April NSW- 4 weeks after Vic's
    May 6th ACT- 1 week after NSW
    May 11-12 QLD (If not fighting at WUC)- 1 week after ACT
    May 25-30 WUC, Korea- 2/3 weeks after QLD/ACT
    June 9 W.Cup selections- about 2 weeks after Korea
    July 29 NSW Selections- about 6-7 weeks after AUS Selections

If I compete at all the events I'm fighting approximately every 2-3 weeks, which is FANTASTIC! The main issue is injury management and recovery- however constant fighting is what makes me the sharpest. You need to train the mind and body to get used to doing it all the time so when a big event comes its not a big deal. In spain we did "fights" every week and it really gets you used to the feelings associated with stepping in the ring.

The other concerns are cash, which I'm a little strapped on right now. I'll only be able to do the comps interstate if I can arrange free accommodation or just fly up on the day, fight and fly home.

There's also the added issue of politics, to do the international majors I have to do my insurance through a club other than who I normally train with, long story. The good news is that I can train with them and they have very strong fighters. The bad news is my normal coaches cant coach me at events because they are not registered with this organisation, and the head coach from the other club is taking a few of his athletes on an international tour. So I'll have to grab a random on the day to coach me until the second QLD comp, which means Strategically I have to be using my own brain more than listening to a coach. Which I think may be good tactical development.

Long story short. Pumped for the next few months of training and comps and looking forward to getting in the ring asap.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Good luck!!

9. liero

liero Valued Member

OOOOKAY-

So I have not updated my log in a long long time, and my training consistancy has dropped over the last few weeks, so it's time to change things up.

I've had a few comps this year and done okay at some.

Here are the results

11th March- QLD Open: 3rd place. Lost 1st fight by one point to the gold medalist, not my best performance but felt ripped off.
    Early April- Had 2 regional comps, one on saturday one on sunday. Had 2 fights at each and won all four. I worked on developing a new game plan based purely on what techniques I have been scoring at previous competitions and then adding in range finding and pressure strategies. Mind not quite there on the second day but still came away with impressive wins.
    22nd April- Japan Open, went to this competition and got into the finals in 2 divisions- Finally had some practise dropping down to the -68 weight division which is where I'll be fighting at World Cup Selections. Lost to 2 Australians in the finals, -68 was a good match -74 felt like I should have won
    29th April- Won my 1st Open Black Belt State Titile- Pretty happy with the performances. This and last week I really perfected the game plan I developed at the previous competitions. This strategy will form the basis of my comp plan for the next 2 majors

Next things:

25th May- World University Championships in Korea
    9th June- World Cup Selections

Really happy to get the call up to the WUC team, its the best preparation for selections and I cant wait to fight on the world stage again.

I've had a pretty serious ankle injury though- I thought it was the achilles and got an ultrasound but turns out its just muscle sprain not the tendon. I had a week off after the State championships and will start to increase the intensity (safely with lots of tape) this week. I couldn't do heavy weights since I did the injury (on the legs) so with the help of one of my coaches we have a new conditioning routine with weights which will form the early stages of the training up until nationals in 22 weeks.

Plan for training

M- AM: Cardio workout, Big Stretch focus on calves, hammies and rehab for ankle PM: Sport TKD
    T- AM: Weights Routine PM: Rest
    W- AM: Cardio/Stretch PM: Sport TKD
    T- AM: Weights PM: Sport TKD
    F- AM: Cardio/Stretch PM: Rest
    S- AM: Sport TKD PM: Catch up any missed workouts, stretch
    S- Rest Day

Total is 3 fitness and rehab sessions, 2 weights sessions, 4 TKD sessions.

Goal is to prepare best for upcoming competitions and manage injuries.

Weights routine is high volume low weight compound exercises for time. The goal is to increase endurance and build strength accross the body.

Exercises are 2min work 30sec rest- 3 rounds per exercise- Start with really low weight (-5kg)

Dumbell Swing
    Dumbell Clean and Press
    Overhead Dumbell Hold Stepping Lunge
    Overhead Squat
    Push Up Row

Thats 15 rounds total should be hard. I'm going to go try it out now and see if I can make it through.

10. liero

liero Valued Member

Just got back from the gym. Couldn't go full 2 mins on the last 3 exercises even after I dropped the weight down to 3kg's I can see how this routine is going to be beneficial.

Hope it gets easier relatively quickly

11. liero

liero Valued Member

Have kept the routine up the last few weeks, much easier now which I hope carries over to endurance at my comp this weekend. Have a constant pain in my ankle from an injury but hope to rest it up untill comp day.

I'm getting more comfortable with international competitions and making weight. Ill be leaving tomorrow, and from arrival in korea have 24 hours to drop 2kg and 48 hours until the first match. Training has been as good as it can be and I feel pretty sharp, just focusing on the first match and who I'll fight- hope to get a good showing and beat someone up. Then move onto the next person.

At this point there isnt much left to do training wise, just stay loose and focus on the techniques I want to use.

Korea here I come!

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good luck in Korea! :)

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

eat some bulgogi and lots of kim chi!

14. liero

liero Valued Member

Updated training plan.

Korea, was intense!
    I had confidence issues in my first fight- Namely overconfidence?!
    The training afterwards was what I can only call "professional".

I trained with a Korean city team, university team and high school team in addition to four national Olympic squads.

The week after I got back I did a bit of a taper week and then fought at a local competition. My performance was very strong, and I improved on the areas I need to work on from the University Competition in Korea.

I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to fight again, or if I will get a chance before nationals- But I want to be fight ready all the way to September and October.

I have a new, simple game plan that I want to work on.

Fitness wise, at this stage I am continuing with the strength endurance training. With the same routine I have gotten up to 1x4 minute round of each exercise with 1 minutes break between. I am trying to do this workout 3 times per week but am averaging 2.

I have been lax with my cardio training/roadwork which is actually a very short recovery jog. The weather has made it difficult. I want to incorporate this run as the warmup for more intensive skills training which I will try to do 2 times per week. On a Monday and Tuesday.

Plan now is as follows

MON: Am: Morning Recovery PM: TKD

TUES: One session: Weights or Recovery

WED: AM: Weights or Recovery PM: TKD

THURSDAY: AM: Weights or Recovery PM: TKD

FRIDAY: One or More Session: Weights or Recovery

Saturday: AM: TKD PM: Weights or Recovery

Sunday: If one "weights or recovery" only day is a full rest day, train, otherwise day off.

The only compulsory workout on a weekday that is not TKD, is Monday morning recovery. Starting the week strong is a new goal that I will set myself!

If you plan in each session in the week that is dedicated to rest and recovery or weights then there are 6 sessions. This is adequate for the training schedule of 2-3 weights sessions and 2 footwork and running sessions. If I take a rest day from overtraining during the week I can play catchup on sunday. It's 9 sessions per week which is MORE than enough for the intensity I'm training at and to fit in my work schedule!