Liddel VS. Sobral

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Trick Nasty, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

From what I can remember about the fight, it seemed like Horn wasnt even going for a takedown(maybe I missed it, or forgot).

I remember Horn trying to outbox him, and losing.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

He went for one or two shots, they failed, unsurprisingly, so he abandoned that tactic and tried to get inside for a clinch and take him down from there. Thing is, Chuck's very very good at launching hard punches while he's backpeddling which made it very difficult for Horn to get into clinch range, hence why it may have looked like he was "trying to outbox him." He did display very good technical boxing, but the power just wasn't there.
    I believe it was round three where Horn did actually get the clinch, largely controlled the round and went for numerous trip attempts from it. Horn apparently won that round on the scorecards
    Jeremy Horn isn't a moron, he knows he wouldn't have won standing up. Horn's not known for his punching power and he was fighting out of his natural weight class against a guy who has made a career out of knocking out fighters with very tough chins, there is no way staying on the feet was any serious part of the game plan
    No matter what people say in pre-fight interviews, very few fighters will actually step out of their natural game unless the other guy is better at it. Tim Sylvia may well say that he's going to take Jeff Monson down and submit him but he won't, it's all marketing hype. Same as no one will actually try to win a standup fight with Liddell unless they're an equally dominant striker

3. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

My mistake then.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

i think chuck will get the decision,but he will know he has been in a fight,babalu is a tough dude with good skills,should be good :)

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I just saw the UFC All Access as well as the half hour show where they focused on both Babalu and Chuck's training plus comments.

Apparently Babalu wakes up every morning and watches the dvd where Chuck Ko's him, he really seems driven. I loved when he replied to the question "Do you mind that people say Chuck made you famous with his kick?" with "No, I dont care, I just want to kill him".

Seeing these shows has really gotten the point across to me that Babalu is very hungry and perhaps obsessed with beating Chuck while Chuck is looking at it as just another fight.

If I have to bet, I would bet on the man who is obsessed with winning and will do whatever it takes to win over a man to whom the fight is just another day at the office(as his trainer aptly said).

Not to say Chuck doesn't want to win, I just don't know if he looks at this fight with nearly the same intensity and focus as Babalu.

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I doubt anyone does ANYTHING with the same intensity as Sobral ;)
    As for their motivations; they're very different people. Liddell is a laid back guy and pretty much every fight to him is just another fight whereas Sobral is a very psyched up person. I doubt the way they present their mentality (particularly to a TV show) will have any impact in the way the fight plays out
    Sobral CAN beat Chuck, and it'd be better for the UFC's LHW division if he did, but I just don't think he will. I'm picking Liddell, KO, round two

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I agree that whatever I se eon tv is likely a tiny window into their ental/physical training etc..

However as we all know, the winner is often the guy who is willing to go to the farthest lengths, and it just seems like Babalu would be willing to kill Chuck to win and I just don't know if Chuck is willing to do the same.

I guess we shall have to see, I am going to pick Babalu(what does that mean?).

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Chuck Liddell's not exactly without his own killer instinct. He knocks Sobral down and he'll be on him like a hobo on a ham sandwich until the ref stops him, just like he is on everyone else. I don't think the lengths they're willing to go to will become a factor, they'll both do whatever they need to to win

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  9. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Thats not really what I mean, I am just saying Babalu seems a lot more motivated and as such he may have been working harder than Chuck, pushing himself farther than Chuck did because to Chuck this is jsut another fight while Babalu seems to view this as life or death.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

have we looked over the massive amounts of MONEY as a motivating factor?

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Not really, I am sure money is a factor but both fighters have it(Chuck obviously more).

When your driving in an H2 you lose a bit of your hunger for money as opposed to when you are walking around in rags.

Dana also pointed out that Babalu might be more motivated by the money than Chuck because Babalu has a young daughter who's future would be secured if he could win the belt.

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]Wow, time fo rme to shut my trap.

Didn't see the fight so if anyone has a video of it hook me up.

Apparently Chuck just dominated and won by KO in ONLY 1:35.

Either Chuck is a God or Babalu just plain sucked maybe a mixture of the two.[/EXPAND]

13. Emperor Cesar

Emperor Cesar New Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]That was a great event. I called every fight! Good work Chuck Liddell.[/EXPAND]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2006
  14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]Nothing to do with Babalu "sucking" at all, though maybe a bit too eager ("motivated," perhaps). He caught Liddell with a nice shot, tried to chase him down and got tagged. It looked exactly like Liddell/ Couture 2.
    With nine out of ten opponents - no matter how good they are - Liddell only needs to hit them once to drop them, and that's what happened here. He showed a ton of heart defending himself and trying to get back up when he was put down but in the end McCarthy stopped it. Sobral wanted to carry on and argued the toss (actually tried fighting Big John off), but the decision was final.[/EXPAND]
    Now this event doesn't air officially in the UK until Monday, so I wanna see spoiler tags, people :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]Just saw the video, and all I can say is Babalu really messed up. I thought he would use his head more for thinking than as a punching bag.

He had to have known that Chuck is a better striker than him, and he had to have known that one punch form Chuck could KO him and yet he was still reckless.

How many times are Chuck's opponents going to rush at him like that? Babalu had a chance for the takedown after he landed that nice punch and CHuck's legs were staggered and he was moving backwards and yet he went for the knockout?

If you want to be a champ you can't get reckless, you have to follow your gameplan and not lose your composure.

I don't see a good future for Babalu, he got demolished in both of his title shots and he didn't have much of a following ot begin with.

He won't get as title shot in the UFC for years, the same goes for Pride because he can't beat their top contenders. Alll in all it wa sa horrible night for Babalu, he lost the fight, lost any chance of a rematch, and his future is very dim now.

I have a feeling he is going to be having a lot more nightmares after this performance.[/EXPAND]

16. stump

stump Supersub

Actually it's on Bravo at the moment.....Kongo V Weillsh is just about to start

17. leon_x

leon_x Dai Low

just watched the fight on bravo... i dont know how to ues that spoiler so i wont post the results.

overall i thought they were good fights espically bonnar/griffin.

18. Rapid

Rapid Valued Member

The result of Liddell vs Sobral was completly unsurprising, for all you people that actually thought ********* would take the fight you are all wrong and foolish, ************ is unstopable and will be for quite a while

19. Brisks

Brisks Banned Banned

Well THAT didn't give it away. It wa a good fight though.

20. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]Rapid that was a bit of a spoiler, Leon to use the spoiler tags click "Go Advanced" and on of the options on the toolbars is an S inside a quote bubble.

As to Liddell being unstoppable, he isn't. He can and will be beat just like any other fighter.

As to anyone who gave Babalu a chance, we do really look stupid right now but thats mainly because Babalu fought like a moron. If he fought well he could have beaten Chuck or at least given him a tough fight. [/EXPAND]