lets talk about religious fundy wackaloons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Pastor Steven Anderson.

This guy is a real looney and a half. I bet even fred phelps would have trouble matching him. Because for one thing, The Phelps ladies work. Anderson says they should not even leave the house. He also made a death threat on Obama.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...should-have-no-say-in-how-our-country-is-run/

what say you MAPPers think of him?

(btw no need to watch that vid is 57 mins long and anyway you can just go to google.)

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

God I hate people like that.

3. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I totally agree with him.

4. Blade96

so do I, grass hopper, so do I.

5. Blade96

what do you think about, for example, that people like nate phelps (used to be in wbc) have said that everything these fundies say can be justified using the Bible? That what they say is in the Bible?

Do you think, then, if this is the case, then even your normal everyday harmless Christian who only believes in good and loving each other and that god doesnt hate, isnt following the Bible enough? Are they just kidding themselves, do you think that the bible isnt as harmless as it actually is?

I think it would be nice to hear from mappers here. And I know there are some religious people of just this sort here - ordinary people who believe that god loves and doesnt hate.....your normal christian who just wants to do good. ....be nice to see what they have to say on this. :) Do you think that people like Anderson just show what is actually IN the ibile and normal Christians dont? Cause i hear a lot of christians say that the andersons just give them a bad name. But is this what christianity actually is and maybe its the normal christians who are deluded?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  6. GSHAMBROOKE

7. Blade96

8. Grass hopper

The thing is, the hate they spew comes right out of the bible verbatim. The bible (old testament mostly) is very hateful and strict.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd imagine they're still selective on which parts they choose to obsess over. I don't imagine many of them take a pure white goat to the temple for sacrifice or make burnt offerings of pigeons when they clear mildew out of their bathroom.

10. Grass hopper

The bible is crazy, I don't get people's devotion to it.

11. GSHAMBROOKE

All these people proclaiming to speak the word of god are just silver tonged greedy money loving con artists who can somehow brainwash and influence thousands of people and to this day i still don't understand that, many people seem to be just dumb.

Check out this con man and his con wife they have a so called church called Hill Song they have been flying under the radar here in Australia for a long time, i look at it and all i see is con artists sucking money out of the people that they have brainwashed.

I suppose people can give their money to whom ever they want to but this guy is just a salesman and you're not even getting a product.

http://aca.ninemsn.com/article.aspx?id=8612601

http://christianresearchnetwork.org...an-houston-responds-to-same-old-false-claims/

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ahhh, but who has authority to interpret the Bible?

To the question, "Do you think that people like Anderson just show what is actually IN the ibile and normal Christians don't?", my response is utter bewilderment as to why you think Anderson speaks with authority. That's just so, so, so strange. It's like you asking me why I don't ever divide by zero, or why I don't worship the pantheon of Olympus gods. Seriously - why should I recognize Anderson? That's a truly substantive issue to get past!!!

I would ask the same about Phelps and a hundred other self-appointed spokesmen for God.

13. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Yes, quoted verbatum and taken horribly out of context. Also, I wonder if his wife would agree she doesn't work. I have been a bachelor for a long time and can attest cooking and cleaning is WORK. Also, does he not realize many men in biblical times wore "dresses", we call them robes. One thing I do agree with him on. Just because something is new does not mean it is better. But then just because something is old doesn't mean it is better either.

14. Blade96

I dont think they do speak with authority. Its just I listened to a number of people who have left cults, like nate phelps, and a Jewish lady I once watched on a dr phil show who had left a cult of jewish extremists. These people say the extremists are reading from the bible and thats exactly what the bible says. Thing is, who knows what 2000 year old writers really meant? for example, the rod. lots of people think it means spanking. Some think its a symbol for something else. Who knows.

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Therein is the incurable weakness of Protestant Christianity, and any other religion based solely on a writing: If all we have for discerning truth is a particular book, then my interpretation of it is no more authoritative than yours, which is no more authoritative than that of any other person who can read. So, we need more than just a book.

The American legal system is analogous. A statute is written. Anybody and everybody who can read can go to a library (or get on the internet) and read the law. But then a conflict arises, and we have to apply the statute. Enter the lawyers. The two sides interpret the statute differently, at least with regard to the peculiar facts of the case. What does the statute mean???? The answer is that it means whatever 5 out of 9 Supreme Court Justices, or a lesser court if they have not spoken, say it means. My opinion carries no more weight than yours or your hairdressers'. The opinion of judges, ultimately ending at the Supreme Court, are what matter.

The entire American legal system is built upon different people interpreting laws in contrary ways. In the end the judges get to judge -- not me, not you, not my neighbor, not your neighbor, not even my priest or your pastor. The judges get to decide, with the final answer coming from 5 out of 9 Supreme Court Justices. And it does not matter if I disagree with them. It does not matter if that Pastor Anderson guy, or that Pastor Phelps guy, or the Archbishop of Los Angeles disagrees with them. We have a judge. We follow the judge.

This is analogous to the conflict of opinion over how to interpret the Bible. Either there is the equivalent of a court to give us an answer about the Bible (so that we have more than just a book), or we all get to make it up for ourselves. I know for certain that neither Anderson nor Phelps are that court, and that's why -- in answer to your OP question -- I give no credence to their interpretations of the Bible.

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

17. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I think Hitchens said it best. "Why can't we say that all these cults are equal and equivalent glimpses of the untrue?"

18. Blade96

I really like your answer AikiMac. :)

19. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

In religion, the Priest/Cardinal/Bishop w/e is the judge. They decide what the bible says and it's up to them to convince (preach it) their people that it's the truth( not hard). So as time changes, so does the interpretations of the bible and its meaning just like the law evolves as we change judges and general social opinions.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i get what you're saying, but is that really true in the bible's and/or christianity's case? haven't we been given correct interpretation of the the word of god via various ecumenical councils? and, to further the law analogy, haven't the couple millenniums of acts of violence against heretics and blasphemers amounted to enforcement of the canon, like police enforce laws? there are several sects that are no longer with us: arians, cathars, etc. martin luther was excommunicated, even though protestants remain.