Lessons from UFC 159 for the self-defense minded

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by KempoFist, Apr 30, 2013.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I agree. With regard to the question Fusen put me I was comparing the benefit of doing 1 hour of this versus 2 hours of groundfighting, both with skilled instructors, in terms of likely benefit for SD, asuming the student had no other experience.

With regard to the 'sparring' element I think I've made my views on this pretty clear over the years. :) I'm in favour of unpredictable training, but the type of training I do and endorse is more akin to static drills than sparring as most people understand it.

2. John Titchen

I would add that I do train and teach these moves in the clinch and identify them as such when I deliver seminars to people who train in traditional karate styles other than my own. I agree that there's little point in drilling something that's effective if you don't drill how to apply it.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Why static drills? What is their advantage over other types of drills?

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

From what I've seen they're not actually static , more there's a defined aggressor and "victim" , which is what I think John is trying to say.

5. John Titchen

They are pretty one way. Once the defender gets moving there should be little or no opportunity for the aggressor to regain any kind of initiative, they should be overwhelmed and shut down. As a result I regard them as static. If the aggressor does manage to move or counter it simply takes the defender into another static drill.

6. Dead_pool

Thats fine for beginners, but will all know there is no such thing as an unbeatable combo outside of playing tekken.

7. John Titchen

Do we?

There are loads of unbeatable combos, it is getting to the position to execute them that is the hard or easy part depending on what you are given.

I've never seen a fight on a sim day that looked like a game of tag. It's either:
    AAAAAAAA
    ABBBBBBB
    A&B simultaneously until one takes over completely.
    The only fights I've ever seen that looked anything like a sparring match have been youtube consensual square goes rather than violent assaults.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In sparring we accept that the other guy will get his/her turn at some point over the competitive time scale. We'll deal with it and counter, soak up the punishment then come back, whatever.

In self defence it's my turn it's my turn it's my turn it's my turn.

Mitch

9. Mitch

You should get down to a sim day if you're in the UK Fusen, I think you'd have a blast and it'd be cool to say hi :)

Mitch

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the same mind set exists in hard sparring and competition fighting, but the reality is people dont go down after the first strike, that people can take a lot of punishment, and they fight back, and this is the reality of both hard sparring, competition fighting and the street,

11. Dead_pool

Definatly, it would be good to compare it to the spear material ive worked on previously too.

Back to the point, it seems everyone is confusing light sparring, heavy competition fighting, and sim work, if you ever watch a long flury preceding a ko in mma etc thats what the sim work looks like from video, however if you can get that ability by cutting out the sparring element im not too sure. But it will work to entrain initial aggression, which I guess will help in sd to remove the freeze element.

12. John Titchen

Sometimes.

People will always fight back if they have the motivation and opportunity.

This is a significant difference between the consensual violence and anticipation of fighting a skilled practitioner in hard sparring, a competition or a square go, and one person attacking another in non consensual violence, where often the aggressor is not expecting any resistance and becomes both mentally and physically disorientated when it happens.

There are overlaps between the two different paradigms, but they are different paradigms, and non consensual violence plays out much shorter, quicker and one sided (whether to the aggressor or to the defender) than competitive or consensual fighting.

The reality of UFC is that it is a hard and tough discipline that requires high levels of skill, stamina and willpower. These things are useful in self defence, but it is not training people for fights that are anything like self defence.

13. John Titchen

:topic: I offer feedback and advice on Sim Days, but my primary aim is to get people able to work what they know rather than try and learn and immediately put into practice what I teach. I had a look at the Spear stuff earlier this year and was struck by how different it is to what I teach.

How well people get to their skill set always depends on how many of these six factors they are used to training. The more they are familiar with, the better they do:

http://johntitchen.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/six-things-you-should-do-in-your-training/

14. Mitch

What % of MT or MMA bouts are won inside the first 30 seconds? I seem to remember an article posted recently that seemed to say you could essentially ignore the first round of any MT bout.

Nobody is doubting the efficacy of MMA, MT, any full contact training; I personally loved the knockdown karate I did. All I'm saying is that it's a different training paradigm, which seems obvious.

Mitch

15. Dead_pool

I massively disagree, the tactics change, and the pre fight amd postfight are completly different, but someone trying to knock you, is someone trying to knock you out

Ive done a little sim ish training, latterly on a C2 course years ago, most people were terrible, but generally those with a better striking delivery system, did fine once they had a few goes to adjust themselves to the situation

16. John Titchen

Am I missing something? :Angel:

Mitch pointed out that it's a different training paradigm. You said you disagree, but then said that the tactics change and the pre fight and post fight are different. That's what we are getting at.

17. Dead_pool

Any well matched competative fight, is actually many mini fights, all with their context specific prefight engagements, I.e the feeling out process.

The key words here are well matched.

18. Mitch

I love sparring too, so do it because it's fun.

I still see SD work as different, requiring a different training paradigm.

I don't think that's too hard to take on board. Imagine tweaking the ruleset of MMA and seeing the resultant change in training. Remove low kicks, disallow sweeps, whatever. There would be a change in the way people changed.

Now imagine limiting bouts to one round of about a minute (to allow extra time), filling the ring with other people who may or may not be involved, applying a legal framework after the bout based on witness statements and maybe video evidence, occasionally allowing knives with out telling anyone, and including some opponents who will back down quickly but some who will fight even when injured.

The training paradigm would obviously change, right?

That's no criticism of MMA, MT, BJJ or any other full contact art. It's simply recognising the obvious truth that different situations will have different training paradigms. There are greater or lesser degrees of overlap, but different situations require different training.

Mitch

19. Dead_pool

What im getting at is the actual hands on fighting bit is more or less the same.
    Get a good thai boxer etc in, run them through the sim training a few times, and he/she will outperform the majority of the group.

20. Mitch

I'd agree with that. But why not train so you don't need to adjust? IE a different training paradigm :)

Actually the key words are competitive fight, within their context specific and feeling out process.

None of these are relevant for SD :)

Again, a good striker will adapt well and quickly., as you say. The difference is not having to adapt, and the wider understanding around SD.

Mitch