Length of road work?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 2ku, Nov 11, 2010.

1. 2ku

2ku Valued Member

Hey all!

Probably a simple question: How far is a good distance for a daily morning running session? 1 mile, 2 miles, more? And should I mix some sprinting in there (if so how much)?

In case it would help to know what I want to run for, it's probably mostly to maintain my endurance and perhaps increase it a bit.

P.S. another question: what do people do when winter comes as far as running goes? Run in place inside, or just be a man and run out in the snow? Thanks :)

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I hate running. When I run for warm up its just in a hall before class with a bit of sprinting/knee ups/heel to butt/sideways etc...(4x a week)

I'm not a great runner and get bored of it easily, so I force myself to go to parts of town where I cannot turn back or I set myself "checkpoints" so I concentrate going there then to the next part, then to the one after that.

I'll probably end up doing about a 4mile round trip (but not hard running, I'll end up stopping for a bit or jog or something cos I'm lazy)

I got a boss that runs 5miles to work, then 5 miles back to home each day.....the above description I gave is my personal one @ 1:Blue Moon.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

depends on what you are working on, your fitness level and your other training...hows that for being helpful :)

4. liero

liero Valued Member

Do you run at the moment?

Ifnot you'll need to work up to daily runs.

I just started a running program.

For about 6 weeks I'll do 2 runs a week.

Session 1.

900m approx jog, warm up sprints ( 30m x 3, 50x 2, 100x 1), then fartlek runs on soccer field jog long sides sprint short ones, approx 15 min.

Session 2.

Similar warmups. Intervals on track...eg 6 x 400m for time, with 1 min rests finish with 4 x 50m sprints.

Mind you the distances will change each time.

This sort of training helps my body prepare for rounds of competition fighting (track work) and teaches the body to do hard work and recover while still doing moderate work (interval running) I suppose I could do long distance runs on the off days but at this stage I feel that would affect my sport specific training and that is the most important thing to train.

Not sure if it does, but hope this helps

5. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

If you mostly want to maintain, then do whatever you've been doing up to this point and I guarantee you will maintain just fine. To increase a bit, do exactly what you've been doing plus a little bit more.

Not a lot of advice to give to someone that doesn't have a challenging goal. It's very easy to maintain.