Legs?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RickyC123, Aug 26, 2013.

1. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

Has anyone got any good body weight exercises for strengthening legs?
    I have just started wing chun so I would like to strengthen my legs a bit more
    At the minute I am doing leg lifts which apart from the fact I'm keeping my legs straight it feel like it does more for my lower abs

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

There are lots of options for legs and lower body. Split squats, lunges, Bulgarian split squats, one leg Romanian deadlifts, pistols, skater squats, glute bridges, hip thrusts, glute ham raises to name a few. You can add weight to all of these if you need to.

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

5. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

sprinting is a good way to mix high intensity cardio with a leg workout.

find a hill near you, not a huge one, maybe a hundred yards or so. sprint up, jog down. repeat until exhausted. then go one more.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Assuming by "leg lifts" you mean lying leg raises:

[​IMG]

they work primarily the hip flexors and some lower abdominals.

Hindu squats are my go-to bodyweight leg exercise for beginners and elites alike.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

leg training - everything the opposite of goat riding :p

i like hill sprints, weighted stair walking, bulgarian split squats, split squats, skater squats and jumps

8. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

And jump squats for power :love:

9. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

Plenty to try thanks guys

10. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

To build explosiveness for the Wing Chun, work some plyo-style exercises like box jumps or frog jumps into the mix. This is assuming you have good knees and a place to land that is soft.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Stepping on a weight bench. Pick one that is about knee height and step up onto it and back down. Then do a lot of reps really fast. :D Add dumbells for extra challenge. I also like running up flights of stairs. :)

12. RickyC123

RickyC123 Valued Member

I know skipping is used a lot in boxing but would it still work as well for wing chun?
    I can't believe how many different things there is for legs haha

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Good old squats and lunges will go a long way towards building leg strength.

Once you've gotten a strong base with those, you can start looking into airborne lunges and pistol squats.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3JDKm39bA"]Airborne Lunge: Improve Kicking For Martial Arts - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcHuJ1UBiCA"]How to do the Pistol Squat: 3 Simple Progressions for Crazy Leg Strength - YouTube[/ame]

14. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

ball squats are a fun variation. :) [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqMZr8_flaw"]Stability Ball Squats - YouTube[/ame]

I like doing squats on a bosu ball too. (top or bottom side up, depending on how challenging you want it to be WRT stability)

Hope this helps. :)

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's the kind of exercise for me that, though probably effective, I'd want to punch myself in the eye for doing it.

18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I have puny hamstrings myself but other than that, spot on. :D

Amen. Not only do you suffer, you don't even look cool and manly while you're at it.

19. brucelee12345

brucelee12345 Valued Member

personally for me,
    i enjoy :
    pistol squats
    harold curls
    box jumps
    sprinting
    glute bridge
    side to side hops over a box
    depth jump
    calf raise
    you got pistol squats,harold curls, and glute bridge, and calf raises for strength, and sprinting,side to side hops over a box, box jumps, depth jumps, and jump roping for explosiveness