Legality of melee weapons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Judge, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Judge

Judge Valued Member

Recently several of my friends and I have decided to form a friendly club between us ( and some people we know ) to improve upon our sparring techniques for both tournaments ( something that only I really ever attend ) and self-defense.

Sometimes we like to go at it Hand-to-hand and other times we end up using escrima sticks or bokken, however, we've been looking to expand upon our knowledge base and get into other types of weapons ( if possible ).

I know, for example, that today I was planning to buy a 3-sectional staff but Nunchucks are illegal in New York and I figured that being a varient weapon a staff would be as well.

Does anyone know where I can find a good online site ( or book ) to find detailed information on weapon laws in specific states?. . .I just spent a good deal of time looking but can only come up with vague references to laws and anti-gun proposals.

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Rather than going on a website, get to the local cop shop and ask the guys in there - they should know whats allowed and whats not in your state/county :)

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

In New York the only "formal" ma weapons that are illegal are nunchaku and,even more absurdly,shuriken.Since I've seen three sectionals for sale in NYC I'd have to figure they aren't normally classed the same,but EVERYTHING comes down to officer's discretion.Meaning they can relieve you of a one inch bladed pocketknife if they so choose.According to students I've had who were officers.

So you're probably OK with most things in a private setting,but you might attract heat walking down main street with a kwan do.As Anth said,if in doubt,check w/The Man.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I don't know about in America, but in England its fairly simple. If you can buy it then it'll be legal to own. However if you walk along the street with easy access to something intended as a weapon, you're likely to be breaking the law.

5. ment to live

ment to live King of the world

you can always ignore the law, i have nunchucks and its illegal if you use it in private there shouldnt be any problems

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

OK, from the resident lawyer of MAP (I'm in PA, but I have a few sites bookmarked):

New York:

Section 265.01 of New York's crimes code reads:
    from: http://www.packing.org/state/new_york/#stateknifecarry_law

oh, and definitions (Section 265):

New York actually has one of the worst sets of laws in the country, along with Massachusetts and California, in terms of buying and selling weapons.

And for the record, ignore meant to live's advice. If he were sitting right next to me at this moment in time, he'd he bitchsmacked across the back of the head for his comments... HARD.

EDIT: Double check the laws... the stuff I gave you is effective as of 8/05. There may have been changes over the last year.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  7. 325irollin

325irollin New Member

use these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

someone just jizzed in their own pocket. :D

9. tolchocker

tolchocker Skittles!

did you buy them from www.weaponsgalore.com? as they have all been for sale there

10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

lovin the riddick knives .... but how exactly does that arm strapped one work? Is it sprung?

11. tolchocker

tolchocker Skittles!

i believe its fixed in place

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  12. 325irollin

325irollin New Member

It is strapped to your arm, very easy to use!

I bought them from trueswords.com

very good site and fast shipping!

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Thanks,Gangrel.Somebody told me slingshots had been made illegal and I didn't believe them.Good grief.

I take it that paragraph was continued as firearms aren't illegal in NY,but sidearms have to be registered.(Clarification for the masses.I'm sure you know that).

That strap on blade sure seems patterned after the Bundi dagger.

14. Judge

Judge Valued Member

Generally I keep my weapons at home ( all blunt ) unless I plan on using them ( for sparring ), I never end up walking around with them ( I keep them in my car if I Need to transport them ).

Thanks, that helps a lot. . .Even if it may be out of date it at least gives me a start on what types of weapons I Should avoid, even though none of those weapons are items I would consider for sparing so it works out good.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

There is a better-than-average chance that the list has been expanded rather than decreased. But you have the statute, so you can probably look it up online.

EDIT: just looked it up online, and it's current as of today.

16. ment to live

ment to live King of the world

I got some crappy stuff from there, I was looking to buy the strap on swords too but I didnt think they'd be good judging by the quality of the other things I got.

and tolchocker - does that site (weaponsgalore) ship to america i looked around but they didnt mention it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  17. Judge

Judge Valued Member

Of course the stuff on the trueswords site is crap. . Look at the prices?> . They're dirt cheap.