Legal issues w/carrying a knife

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Cuchulain82, Sep 9, 2005.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sadly thats the nature of the net, everyone can come on and sound like the deadly blackbelt. Who's to decide whether they're that or the tough-talking jackass.

Thankfully I've never had a knife pulled on me, but when its happened to friends it really brings home the reality of what can happen.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Now that's an honest answer, I like that, your right so many people say they will do this and do that only to find when the real deal happens they freeze up and panic. My answer to your question is based on actual expeariance of having knives pulled on me, I have been unfortunate enough to have had this happen more than once, partly due to the areas I was brought up in as a youngster and partly due to working the doors of clubs and bars.

So when I say it get's ugly very very quickley for both parties, for those of you that have been lucky enough not to have been put in this dilema it does.

Best regards

Pat

3. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Pat, does the following make any sense? I, personally, feel like I'm not afraid of someone pulling a knife on me because I don't think most people would actually use it. The thing that does scare me is getting into a situation where I know that the other person has no problem using a weapon against me. I guess that it is the willingness of someone to do violence against me that seems most worrisome. Maybe it is naivete from (thankfully) never being in a fight w/any sort of weapon.

4. Pat OMalley

I am affraid life is worse than that, if someone puls a knife you have to assume they will use it, for if they had no intention of using it they would never have pulled it on you in the first place.

All too often the person pulling the knife, including the defender wil use it.

But that I am affraid just shows how evil the human being is.

And also are you willing to take the risk that this person will NOT use it or do you assume the worse??? hence the term better to be judged by 12.

But at the end of the day, you throw the dice and you take your chance.

Best regards

Pat

5. Feiying

Feiying New Member

My Kung fu class is a little way from the bus stop, walking there at night with my 9 year old nephew (and being a girl) I feel very vulnerable.

I feel much safer if I carry my bear-claw knife, just in case. It's a very short blade. I know it's bad to carry a weapon, but I'd rather be able to protect my nephew and I.

I think it's worth the risk to be safe.
    As for carrying weapons just for the sake of it that's another matter.

6. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Here we go again. Hello Feiying. Scroll back to a few threads as this has been discussed before. You'll find very interesting insights. By the way, have you considered wearing a Boy Scout uniform to your Kung Fu class? I will make carrying your knife in public legal.

7. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Greetings Red

Hope you and the guys in the homeland are keeping well. Do you still get to see GM Yuli? Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyong lahat (Happy New Year to all).

Best regards

Peter

8. Cuchulain82

^ Peter, what does that have to do with the thread topic?

@Red

What do you think about carrying a knife? You never chimed in. I know that it is much more common where you live, but I'm curious about you opinion(s)...

9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

I never chimed in because I noticed that most of the discussions revolved around knife laws outside the Philippines. This is something I am not familiar with. I was monitoring the whole debate though. Actually, while this thread was active, I was also having my own lively discussion in a parallel thread: "w/c would you choose tapado or baston" where knife laws were also discussed but more in the Philippine context. Now that was something I could talk about. I find comparing the two threads funny.

I carry a knife when I go to certain places, although this is highly illegal. Many guys do it here at their own risk. However, I emphasis that i do not recommend this practise to other people. In fact, my advice is don't carry one. This is a case of don't do as I do, just do as I say. If the guy disregards my advice and gets caught with a knife, then I am not responsible. If I get caught with a knife, it is entirely my fault. I never tell my students to carry knives.

Some people think this is lousy advice. But hey, I am no lawyer.This is just what I do in a country where a few times, the law is what is in your hands. 98% of the time though, I don't feel the need to carry a knife. There are other less-than-lethal device - spray, walking stick, etc.

10. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I just want to add something here....
    I haven't been here in a while and I just reread my post.
    Maybe it wasn't the greatest advice to give,but at the moment,it was justified.
    like it or not.I don't aplologise for being who I am.
    But to be honest, I am 40yrs of age and I have had knife almost all my life.
    I can count on one hand how many times I have used one in a fight and that was when I was out numbered and I KNEW my a$$ was grass!
    At the same time,I have taken beatings with a knife in my pocket,I took a good stomping with a derringer in my pocket once.
    Did I feel my life was threatened? No. So they stayed put.
    Here in the UK,I still have a small knife I take with me just because.
    The area I live in sucks and the area I teach is among the most crime ridden areas of london. Yes I still carry a small blade,VERY small and I would only consider it if the odds were way out my league.
    Personally,I would love to have an ASP.God forbid if you can get one here and get away with it.
    Even when I go home,I carry an ASP over a gun.I don't want to shoot anyone and they don't want to get dead.
    DON'T CARRY A KNIFE TO FIGHT WITH unless you can handle the out come.
    The law is bad enough to deal with,but as I ask my students,can you live with the guilt loooong after the law done with you?
    I can't be a total hypocrite, but damn, it ain't worth it!
    Besides,is it worth cutting someone up,you WILL get blood on you,just to find out in a year he was HIV positive?
    Get you a stick and whoop up on some shins!

and I apologise to all those I offended in my last rants.

11. El Nene

El Nene Valued Member

Hi all, havent read all the posts on here, just up the second page.

But I really, really, really, have to tell you all: A lot of people carry knives in NYC. Thats a fact. They dont all pull them out in front of cops, and they're seldom used in self defense. But teenagers (I was one once), hoodlums, criminals, gangsters, a few martial artists, some knife nuts, etc. guys in the garment district, meatpackers, delivery guys, are right now in NYC, on the street, in the park, in the movies, carrying knives on them. Hell, at 15 and 16 I carried a big "007" folder I had bought in Times Square for about $5.

I'll bet you there are very few knife arrests in NY on any given day. Bad guys who carry them hide them and if need be will dump them since they are not $600 customs. Teenagers buy them a dime a dozen in the martial art and novelty stores downtown.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, "the legal ramifications of..." But there are "mortal ramifications of" not having a potential equalizer. I recommend carrying a legal knife. Not very PC huh. In NYC that might mean an under 4" knife you can use for utility, cutting sandwiches is a utility, opening packages, etc. and use it like that for utility, and have it available as a potential equalizer.

I like having a knife for utility, I use it a lot. When you stop thinking of a knife as a weapon, you'll use it a lot more throughout the day. Today, I cut a bagel in half with my Emerson Super CQC-7, I split my rollup sandwich with a friend with it, I opened a box and a CD, and my wife borrowed it to open one of those darn near impossible to open plastic things from Costco.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you are a better person because you DONT carry a knife in NYC. With crime what it is, you might consider yourself a fool for not having one WITH YOU when it could have mattered.

OK, Rant over, I feel a lot better, Thanks guys!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  12. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

im an avid knife collector and believe me when i tell you, that butterfly knives are ILLEGAL. i have several and i definitely know how to use them all. i had formal and up close training with my unlce who is a vietnam vet. he has told me when where why and at what time to pull a knife. usually if a person pulls a knife its because he or she is scared and wants the attacker to just leave. but if you plan on using a knife you should've sliced them a long time ago. if they (attacker) is in jab range he or she is what you call in a kill zone.. so if you cant use it dont pull it. if you dont intend on using it dont pull it and if you're ever getting you're blocked off by me dont pull it :) because when you whip out you're little pick stick i will probably whip something along the lines of a short sword, :) . but knives are not legal if the blade is longer than the width of you hand.. thats just in the u.s.a. yea baby yea

13. Moridin

Moridin New Member

Who needs a knife?

If you know how to use a knife, you probably don't need it. A pen, screwdriver or even a dull pencil can turn the scales around. But they are not knifes and are not seen as knifes. So you won't be seen as a knife wielder.

I knew a man who had pencils or long screws on his jacket. They were not knifes you know. They were utility tools you know.

The person that doesn't feel a bit safer with a pen or screwdriver, probably doesn't feel better with a knife as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  14. Moridin

Moridin New Member

There is life after a knife.

I just read this on some Krav maga website:

3. Finally, learn to use everyday objects as weapons.

Minimal training is necessary to make the following effective. Carry readily available – maybe in the emergency purse or wallet described above – a strong biro which has run out so you can expose the nib, putting this through someone’s eyeball will ensure that they do not chase you for a while. A credit card cut in two with a nice serrated edge is a very useful weapon if applied with a hooking strike to the carotid artery on the side of the neck (but only if you live in a jurisdiction in which you are allowed to carry something like this).

A set of keys is OK to use but nothing like as traumatic to an aggressor as the pen nib and the credit card.

So again; there is life after a knife.

15. Pat OMalley

If you carry a knife, be it legal or illegal, you better be prepared to use it and do some serious time for using it as well as having to deal with the mental consiquenses of using it too, otherwise there is no point in carrying a knife in the first place is there. If you don't want to run the risk of having to use your trusty blade then use something else or simply do go to places where you are likely to get yourself in such situations in the first place.

Simply put, when the blades come out some will get seriously hurt and more than likey get killed, and if neither happens then your probably using pretend blades;)

Best regards

Pat

16. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

17. Cuchulain82

The above two quotes say it all for me- I don't want to ever have to pull a knife on someone. I will use a pen, a leaded pencil, or even a hammer fist, but carry a knife in NYC isn't worth it for me. That's my personal value judgement.