leg/kick destructions

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by goatnipples2002, May 27, 2005.

1. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

And these would all be legal under full thai rules?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Couple of things regarding blocking with your knee:

When your knee is bent, the entire structure becomes EXTREMELY STABLE, especially to impact coming directly from the front. I cannot explain why this is as I'm not trained in that kind of thing (sports medicine and the like).

Another thing is that you don't exactly block with the knee joint, but the very top of your tibia (shinbone) right underneath the knee. The tibia is EXTREMELY thick at the uppermost portion. THAT is the point you want to block with, not your patella (kneecap).

Stuart....

YEAH! Love to get together for dinner and beer. Love to meet the wife and new daughter as well (I don't recall having met your wife yet, if I have and have forgotten, sorry 'bout that).

I'm in the process of implementing a grading/ranking system in our classes. I've just slowly come to the realization that people who are GENUINELY interested in hardcore fight training are very few and far between. To ensure our students progress, we've gotta implement some changes. One of the changes to be implemented is the inclusion of "old school" Muay Thai techniques. Even though many of the moves have modern equivalents that we already train with, I want to attempt to teach our students a little bit regarding how Muay Thai evolved from a Battlefied Fighting System, to an NHB-like contest, to the current ring sport.

I think it'll be fun! I'd love to sit down and show you what I've put together and get an unbiased, outside opinion!

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Absolutely, we train to kick at knees, stomp feet or ankle joints, and groin shots.

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

And these would all be legal under full thai rules?

Which ones? Some of the traditional moves we discussed are still legal, but others are not. We've mentioned some of the 'illegal' ones as well.....

5. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Me neither, But I'm assuming it's just because when you bend your knee the tendans and muscles contract, securing everything in place.

6. georgestando

georgestando Valued Member

What I liked about the old systems of muay thai were the variations of kicks, they had snap ball of the foot roundkicks into the inside of the knee, so you might thai kick the thai then snap one in on the inside, so the leg was twisted one way then another. The guys were sharp and accurate with those shots. The variety really worked well to throw the opponent off. i wanna learn more when i go back

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

George....

Please fill us in on what you learn of the old stuff when you go back! I have not really trained in the "classical" stuff. I've picked up most of what I know simply through reading and asking questions of those who have trained in the system/s.

I try to teach the older stuff based off of the pictures I've seen, but I make sure my students understand that what I'm actually showing is mostly the modern-day ring equivalents of the old moves, not the actual old moves within their context.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nah mate. You've never met her. No worries. :)

Sounds great to me Brooks. I'll drop you a PM and we'll see what we can work out. Cheers!

Stuart

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

In Shaolin Kempo we train a number of different arm destructions in our SD combinations. Some pressure point attacks to the arm ("disguised" as "blocks"), some trap/break, and some joint locks w/ breaks.

Elbow to the foot... very common. Opponent likes to roundhuose kick to your ribs? Just anchor that elbow, drop it a little bit when the kick is coming in... OUCH on his FOOT!!! :cry: