leg/kick destructions

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by goatnipples2002, May 27, 2005.

1. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

I was just wondering if anybody trains destructions. Such as if you kick me I TRY to aim my knee at your kick? How do you aim your knee at the kick or do you? Is it basically the same posture as a regular block to a kick?

2. minimal

minimal New Member

I'm not sure how many kicks can be blocked with a knee. Some are jammed by kicking the hip or knee. Certain kicks, you can kick into the inside of the thigh or knee, I wouldn't call that a 'destruction' unless you're spectacular with it.

I think the best approach is to attack the supporting leg, usually at the knee, during the withdrawal of the kick in question.

3. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

umm

I think he's implying not the striker but the blocker, blocking in a way that would cause the striker a lot of pain/physical damage. Like if your foot hits somebody's elbow while roundhouse kicking it'll break. I've never heard of anybody intentionally doing this though.

4. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

lol, his name, goatnipples ROFLMAO!!!

5. dru19

dru19 New Member

if you can read the attack you can kick at his knee, befor he comes up, but you gota read the attack and if your wrong your gonna pay for it

6. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

I don't know if such a targeted block us required really. A good crisp 'normal' shin block does pretty well. I managed to make a good block in my last fight and my instructor noted that my opponent simply didn't attack me with the same kick again, such was the efficacy of my block. Now... if only I could do those to order...

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Blocking a kick with your knee is standard operating procedure in MT. I've never been taught to do anything different. Shin meets knee.... knee wins.

8. minimal

minimal New Member

Knee does win. But that's not a destruction in most cases, in part because the kicker controls the force involved.

I have found elbows effective against punches where the opponent was punching hard and repeatedly, the pain reaction gave me enough time to punch them without needing to establish an advantage of position. I would say it's about as good as having landed a blow to the ribs. I don't think I've got the coordination to do that against someone who is more judicious in throwing punches, though, and would reserve that for a more serious fight. (Anything called a 'destruction' I would probably reserve that for a more serious fight!)

I blocked a kick with an elbow once but I don't know who that hurt more. Probably I'm not doing that right, I only have enough force with an elbow when I'm close to my opponent.

Lots of people seem to have tougher shins than me, especially kickboxers. I meant to condition them, but like most things never found the time. (Would need to find the drive and discipline also!)

9. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

I'm not convinced it's that clear cut... knees are joints. Joints can stop working... especially when twatted. Shins keep working although the pain certainly isn't any fun. Put it this way, I've never had to stop sparring to protect my shins, but I have had to stop 'cos my knee was getting beat up.

10. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

ok.....
    In kali there defenses known as destructions. This is when you use your knee or elbow to block against a kick or punch. I figured since this is a muay thai thread you guys might practice these techniques.

I had qa picture of it at one point in time but I will try to find it again.

11. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

umm

Well, punching an elbow wouldn't hurt so much while wearing gloves anyways. As for blocking kicks, the concept of destructions sounds pretty impractical to me. If you only lift your knee to the height that you believe is the exact height he's going to kick, then you're going to end up misjudging often and leaving your torso entirely exposed to the kicks. On top of that, if I'm in a ring fight, and say I knew I could put my elbow in a certain spot and my opponent's foot would contact it causing it to break and end the fight, would I do it, hell no. Why would I want to do that to him?

12. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Destructions are very common in filipino martial arts such as kali, you might get more info in that forum.

the knee destruction i find more difficult to land and is more practical against an art which aims to strike with the foot and not the shin like MT does. They also are easier on low line kicks

the elbow to hand is much easire to land as you effectively just parry but use your elbows instead of your hands. Trust me you can still break a hand with the point of an elbow with full contact gloves on.

The intent would also be questionable in a ring "sport" environment and as ThaiBxr said you wouldn't want to.

to train knee destructions it is important that the person is trying to kick you. They would try for thigh/knee/groin shots and you block with your knee. If you are training them go slow or you may get a busted foot.

13. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

I was told only to use blocking with the knee as a sort of last resort to defend against a roundhouse. Like if shin blocking and moving are impossible, just turn ur knee into the kick, might hurt them if ur lucky sort of thing. Not something we bother to practise in depth

14. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Well, punching an elbow wouldn't hurt so much while wearing gloves anyways.

This is very untrue. Punching an elbow can MURDER your fists despite the gloves! (that is, if the blocker intentionally performs a weapon destruction move with his elbow)

I should have posted a longer answer, but Muay Thai has TONS of weapon destructions. For instance, where I speak of blocking with the knee in my above post, I didn't mention the fact that you thrust forward with your hips and knee into the block... you don't simply lift the knee.

In Muay Thai, many fighters will purposely kick an opponents shin if there is any doubt about their opponents conditioning.

Parrying punches into elbow strikes has been discussed already, but lets not forget headbutting a punch.

We also will purposely attack an opponents upper body (not the head) with kicks knowing FULL WELL that the kicks will be blocked. So what?!? Your opponent will be absorbing painful kicks with his arms, and if he doesn't block properly, you can possibly sprain or even break his arms.

There are also the ever poplular knee and elbow strikes to your opponents arms and legs when they strike, for example:

BREAK THE ELEPHANTS TRUNK, where you trap an opponents Round Kick and perform an elbow strike to the knee or thigh.

SWAN WITH BROKEN WINGS, where you parry a punch to the outside as you step inside and elbow into the punchers shoulder to dislocate or break it.

LOOK KANG JAB MAD (sorry, I don't have the translation), where you trap parry an opponents punch and trap it between your chin and shoulder, then press up with your hand to dislocate or break the elbow. (I'm not sure if this move would be considered ring legal anymore, but I suspect not)

NAKA BID HANG (again, no translation available, but this one is really cool!) where you trap your opponents foot after he either Push or Round Kicks at you. You twist his foot so that the calf is exposed for you to throw a knee strike into it.

These are just a few examples. There are others which would fall under the category of simple hard blocks with the elbows and knees as well.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  15. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Also:

Salub Fun Pla (Cross Stitch) - where you step forward against a punch and scissor break it (kind of like a gunting motion in FMA) by placing one hand inside the opponent's wrist and the other against the outside tricep area of the opponent's arm

Rakra Hak Kaan (Armpit Breaks the Arm) - where you trap the arm in your armpit and jerk upwards

Praram Hak Sarn (Rama Breaks the Arrow) - where you scissor break/dislocate the opponent's shoulder as he elbows by placing one hand on top of the opponent's wrist and the other against the underside of the opponent's elbow

Hak Lak Pet (Breaking the Diamond Pillar) - where you trap the opponent's leg like in Naka Bid Haang, step over it, put it between your legs, sit down on the knee joint as you violently pull the ankle upwards for the break (was shown in Ong Bak).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  16. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

GOOD ONES!

Even though many of these movements Nicolo and I described are from traditional Muay Thai (pre-dating the ring sport), many of them still have modern ring equivalents. Moves like BREAKING THE DIAMOND PILLAR & RAKRA HAK KAAN do not, but many of the others do.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Brooks,

Stuart here. Do you guys train this sort of thing in your classes often?

18. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Hey Stuart!!! How ya been? Drop in sometime!!!!

I'm starting to introduce them. I'm beginning to lean towards teaching my students from a more "martial arts" perspective because, quite simply, very few of them aspire to be serious fighters. You just gotta cater to your audience, ya know?

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good mate. I've been good. But busy. I don't know if James told you, but my wife and I had a daughter in late January. And I'm attending graduate school at night. I was working full time in addition to all that, but I'm a stay-at-home dad during the day now.

I'd LOVE to drop in again. I've been really excited about learning muay thai for a while now. It's just been a question of finding the time. Know what I mean?

Hey, I'm still living up the street from you. In Old Town. We should get together for a beer or Thai food sometime.

Yep. I hear ya. Actually, I'm excited to hear it. At 34 years old, and with very little time for serious training, my competition days are probably behind me too. But the more I learn about muay thai, the more fascinated I am. I'd love to learn more of it as a complement to the arnis. (I do get to train with an arnis club at GWU once a week. Maybe I could plan on visiting your club instead of that one periodically. That would be great.)

Cheers Brooks.

Stuart

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Naughty language but true! ;)

I agree I'd rather take the kick on my shin than my knee, instead of risking limping around.

Ideally I'd rather move closer and block with my shin/knee higher up their leg.Or if further away try and use my foot block their kick. Or better still be out of range :D