Left or Right handed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Primus Death, Jan 27, 2012.

?

Left or Right handed?

1. Left (leftys FTW highfive!)

33.3%
  2. Right

66.7%
  1. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

I'm right handed but my left leg is better for everything except spinning kicks.

2. G50

G50 Night Owl

I'm ambidextrous, I usually split the usage between both sides as equally as I can.

3. bass_4_fdg

bass_4_fdg New Member

I'm a lefty with all things I do apart from punching with my right hand, but I kick with my left leg.:)

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Around 55% left handed and left eye dominant, but right right handed as it was not allowed to write left handed when I was at school, your left hand was tied to your belt in infants class if you kept doing it.

5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I am odd - I only write with my left hand....thats all.

I am cack handed.

6. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

I'm one of those people. I write, punch better, catch, fire twirl and play guitar left handed, but throw, brush my teeth, use scissors and kitchen knives right handed.

I definitely kick loads better with my right leg, but that's probably be because of the bias towards training right kicks more heavily than left in Taekwondo.

This means that in whatever stance I'm in, I always have one power limb back, and the other forwards, which is kinda neat.

I can fight in either stance close to equaly comfortably, and often don't pay to much attention to whether I'm in left or right but if I specifically want to punch, I'll use a southpaw stance.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. Primus Death

Primus Death どうか私を教育してください

Nice to hear that I was 't blurting nonsense. I would say that I'm almost the exact opposite of you.

Although, when it comes to sparring and many drills I've been trained to do them right sided (I'm trying to remedy this by practicing these things lefty). It's mostly the drills though, I have always practiced with my left when sparring too so my southpaw isn't weak (I just mostly go into 'normal' stance).

There is a slight advantage to being a lefty who is strong with normal stance though. What I like to do is when I'm in a 'righty' stance I'll make sure to hit my opponent with a few good kicks from my right and make them think it's my strong side. So when I go into my southpaw they get a big surprise.

8. Primus Death

Primus Death どうか私を教育してください

Wasn't thinking about it at the time and I don't know how to fix it. If you do tell me.

9. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I have always made a point of practicing judo techniques r and l handed equally. I feel has given me real advantage over the other guys at the club who only realy train righty

10. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Flinging Poo since 1978

Have to agree with that, i always try to practice techniques on the left and right.

11. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Yeah I'm a boxer, and I agree with this too. Although there is a very strong argument for just focussing on your dominant side, in that it is better to be very good on one side, rather than mediocre on both, from day one I was tought how to swicth leads, and the correct footwork to do so. I have found that this has helped my ring movement, in that I am able to quickly change stance as an opponent moves to my side. In this way I don't have to worry about being at a weird angle, or repositioning myself to be able to deal with him; I can simply switch stances and jab as usual. And the fact that I have trained like this from day one means that I am pretty competent on my weak side.

Of course, I put a lot more emphasis on my dominant side, and am still far more comfortable firing combinations from my orthadox stance, but I am still very comfortable boxing from southpaw.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just a short note on switch stance fighters... in my experience... when you list your stance in your book as a fighter as 'switch stance' fighter you will find it much harder to get a match up - than if you are a orthodox fighter who can switch stance and just keeps it under his hat. :p

13. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Ah that's interesting, I'd never heard that. Is there a reason behind it, or is it just one of those weird things?

14. FAUST.WC

FAUST.WC New Member

I try to train each side of my stance equally but im left handed and naturally have my left leg foremost. This means that my seeking hand is my stronger and my striking hand is my weaker, which is unorthadox.

I do find however that it allows me to throw a strong punch from my leading hand, which is often unsuspecting for an opponent. I also find that it gives me greater control of my opponent by using my stronger hand and, when possible, then allows me to follow up the initial strike with a combo from my stronger hand.

I think this habit was developed from my boxing days as a kid when the trainer didnt pick up the fact i was a lefty and therefore didnt help me correct my stance.

15. steven82

steven82 New Member

I really try to train both sides and found it fairly easy while doing unarmed combat but once you put a stick in my left i couldn't hurt a flea with it lol, it would be better to leave it unarmed.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

My right hand is more powerful, my left hand is faster. My left leg is more flexible for standard side kicks, and standard side kicks are the only type of kick I cannot reach head height on as efficiently (I can but without any real power or good balance behind it) with my right. Both have the same power/height capabilities for roundhouse kicks, ninja-sidekicks, etc, and I can reach head height with either leg without any drama.

Trying to work on stance shifting so I can fight stronger from an opposite stance. Also need to work on flexibility again seems I've been out of training for so long. :(

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I'm right-handed, but I don't really prefer one stance over the other so I like to mirror my opponent's stance.

If he's orthodox, I go southpaw and vice versa. And I switch it up a lot to suit my needs in the heat of the moment.

In my TKD days I trained myself like I was ambidextrous. The effects are mostly gone, but the mindset stayed.