Leaving GKR, what should I study now?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mr. Haller, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mr. Haller

Mr. Haller Valued Member

Hey all,

It may not surprise most of you that after gaining my yellow belt at GKR karate, I have decided to leave.
    I have to admit that I'm a total beginner which is why I joined GKR, as I knew nothing about them and martial arts, but I was however interested in learning a martial art - hence why I joined.
    A friend of mine started with them, and then asked me to join with him. I did, as I wanted to join a dojo for ages. At first, when I knew nothing, it all seemed OK. But at my first grading, for yellow belt, I noticed the flaws in the 'style'. I over heard one guy (an 'instructor') telling my friend that he was asked to become an instructor when he was a yellow belt, he was a blue belt at the time of this conversation. Even though I don't really know anything, I could sense that this wasn't right. The said guy didn't find it odd to be an instructor and not have a dan. Then there was the actual grading . . . this really let me down, in my opinion at least. I was one of about 3 adults there. Some teenagers filled the middle ranks and the overwhelming majority where very young children. As an adult I was pushed hard to get the basics right which is good. But when showing the kata, I really couldn't believe it. The children didn't have a clue, they wondered around like lost sheep. Others knew it but weren't really trying. I worked my guts out to make sure I got it as good as I could. What got me was when everyone passed, yep, everyone. How can you pass when you don't know your right from your left or your kata? I at least expected some to fail. That was my first let down, I just felt the standards were low.
    More recently I started looking into this white and black belt that some people are/were wearing around the dojo. After asking around I found that not one of them is even a black belt, yet at least holds a dan. I feel like I've been tricked to be honest, because as a beginner you take things at face value - that being that I thought that everyone wearing a black and white belt was some kind of Bruce Lee, but that is really not the case. Most of the 'instructors' won't confirm what coloured belt they hold when you ask them, and I find this deceptive, like they know it's wrong but are OK to go along with it. I will be fair and say that they are friendly, but that's not the issue here.

Anyway, I'm leaving GKR. Now that I know it's a scam. What you read on other threads is right, I only wish I looked into it before joining. But at least I haven't wasted too much time, only a few months. I read stories where people spend years with them before they catch on. I really feel for them.
    I would like to mention that the people who train with GKR are really cool. It's not their fault they're being tricked like this. But saying that, I can't see anyone else following me when I leave, they just can't see what I can and if I bang on about the whole thing being a scam, they'll just take that as a personal insult, not as a word of advice.
    So, I'm looking to change schools, and I was wondering if anyone out there could help me in finding a good style to learn. I have found a place that teaches Wing Chun and appears to be very good They have high standards, the teachers appear legit, and emphases is put into the meaning and philosophy within the style unlike GKR.
    Or could I just move to another style of karate, I'd like to as I've already started. If I was too, what should look out for when finding a style and dojo?

Thank you for reading, and I hope this helps anyone else out there that are also in my shoes.

Mr. Haller

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

What aspects of your training did you like the most? That might help work out if your suggestion of a new style is a good one.

3. Mr. Haller

Mr. Haller Valued Member

Hi Aegis,

I guess I liked working on technique the most, like improving my hip movement when punching and working on trying to get the kicks right. I practise what I learn at home too, because I want to be able to get it right. I spend time trying to get my legs high and turning around in stance. To be honest I don't know much more than that. I would also like to have a little contact when sparring so I can work on developing my power and control.
    Hope that helps.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Shotokan. It has everything you want (and much more :D)

5. Mr. Haller

Mr. Haller Valued Member

Thanks Moosey,

I'm going to google that now and see what I can find.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi Mr. Haller,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with GKR. Most of us have been through similar situations with other organisations - consider it a rite of passage! Got to get through the crap before you hit the good stuff. :)

I certainly hope GKR hasn't turned you off Karate for good. It's an excellent martial art with many good and honest derivatives, all of which can provide you with many benefits. There is a large contingent of Karate practitioners here on MAP and I'm sure they can point you in the direction of a good dojo. As a lifetime Taekwondo practitioner, however, I feel it is my duty to try and bring you to the "dark side" of high kicks and Korean terminology. :evil:

All the best. :)

7. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Get out of the Krotty section boyo! We all know TKD is the poor man's Shotokan!

:p

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just jealous 'cuz you ain't in da Olympicz. :woo:

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

If you want to let us know what city you live in, we might be able to recommend somewhere.

10. Mr. Haller

Mr. Haller Valued Member

I feel a sparring session coming on here, boys!

What are your thoughts on MMA? There seem to be a few places local to me, but I'm not sure about. I just checked out their instructor training programme and it would appear that anyone can become an instructor regardless of rank. I realise that this probably only counts in the Gym I'm looking at online and does not apply to all MMA training grounds.
    I could be wrong, but I always thought that you had to be a near master to train others your art, and something like MMA which is real hardcore surely that would be more the case.
    Could someone tell me if I'm wrong on this?

11. Mr. Haller

Mr. Haller Valued Member

Hello Moosey, I live in London, west London, near Heathrow airport. I had a look myself and seen a few places, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i was just thinking that when he said he wanted technique and hips

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you were interested in TKD you have MAP meber, published author and 5th Dan Stuart Anlow not that far away, his website is here.

If you wanted traditional karate and you can get there I'd go to Gavin Mulholland's (author of Four Shades of Black) dojo here.

I don't know the Instructors down there, but you could also look for a TAGB TKD club using the map here.

Mitch

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If you're in London, you'll likely have a large selection to choose from depending on your ability to travel.

WRT MMA, there are no belts or ranks, so sure you can become an instructor without having 'rank'. As a Kali guy, our system doesn't have any ranking structure, you train because you enjoy it and measure your improvements against yourself. You can teach if your teacher thinks you are good enough to teach, simple as that :)

15. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Mr Haller

Its nice to see you've woken up and smelt the roses early on in your GKR career! Good on you. I think you're right in not worrying about trying to convince your dojo mates of the same thing. Only those who are beginning to reach the same conclusions as yourself will take it in the manner in which its intended. Everyone else will likely take it as a personal insult to them, their sensei, their regional manager and the great kancho in Australia.

You'll find Shotokan Karate to be the closest thing technically to GKR, as GKR is based primarily on Shotokan. There are many good Shotokan clubs about, check out the KUGB website (Karate Union of Great Britain), although there are also plenty of good Shotokan clubs outside the KUGB.

That said, you haven't been training that long, so it wouldn't be a big deal to change tack completely. I think you should ask yourself exactly what a complete beginner should ask...

What do I want out of a martial art?

There are many possible answers. For most people, their personal choice will be a combination of several different factors.

Once you've worked that out its 'just' a matter of finding a local club/style that delivers. I say 'just' because most clubs/styles will claim to deliver most things you're looking for, whether they actually do or not.

For example, most clubs will claim to provide good self-defence skills (few martial artists will say that 'our style is no good for self-defence') but you will have have to exercise some common-sense and your own judgement on that score.

Other selling points are easier to determine. If you want to compete then you can easily find out what sort of competitions - and what competition rules - you can get involved in via any particular style/club.

While you think about these questions, try visiting some different clubs. Any decent club will let you try at least one session without paying a membership fee first. If they do ask for a membership fee before you dip your toe in, turn round and walk straight out the door.

Just getting stuck in at a few different dojo will certainly help you form an opinion of what you like and what you don't like, what you want out of training and what you don't want.

Good hunting!

Mike

16. Llamageddon

I'd just like to point out the word 'close' here is pretty relative ;)

17. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'll rephrase it:) Shotokan Karate is largely what GKR is based upon.

GKR actually claims to be a mix of Shotokan and Goju-ryu but from what I've seen Shotokan is by FAR the major influence. The only evidence of Goju is I think the practice of several Goju kata - its telling that Sanchin is not among them.

Mike

18. Llamageddon

Yeah, it is. Just wanted to point out that Shotokan is awesome, and GKR is not :p

19. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Goju-Ryu is the obvious choice, regardless of my possible bias...the similarity to the GKR name does not reflect the style though I'd like to point out. Similar in style to Kyokushinkai, it's reasonably hard, and very enjoyable, with a very high quality of instructors in England. To be honest though, the Shotokan in England that I've been introduced to via one of the members of my dojo is right up there, so no hard feelings if you like that sort of thing!

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

TKD = Korean Karate. 'Nuff said.