Least favorite weapon

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Guitar Nado, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I've been taught a couple of fan kata, and they were quite fun to do. tbh I'm not sure how effective some of the fan opening motions that seemed to be strikes were - other than at possibly scaring attackers as the pop they make is quite loud =p but at the end of the day once they're folded up they're not far from being a metal eskrima stick =p

OT - of the weapons I've trained in I'm surprised to say my least favourite is a toss up between the tonfa and nuchucku. Before I started at my club I'd never done weapons and looking at the list I'd have said Sai would be my least favourite - for various reasons including the fact I see it as a 'girls' weapon because how its often the weapon of choice for female characters (mileena, elektra etc) But having since been taught 2 said kata I must say I really enjoy using it =)

Tonfa is a bit boring, but a solid choice of a weapon. Nunchuku I'm reluctant to put that far down the list (well list of 7 weapons I've used) however having used it I'm not convinced its quite as effective as Bruce Lee makes out... (don't get me wrong I'm sure it was effective in his hands, but you'd need to be stupidly good to that imo)

With Weapons I've not trained in, its a tough one, largely because I've not experienced them, I'd say guns would have to be down there, I dislike the lack of honour in shooting someone, if you're going to kill someone it should be more personal imo :3

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

The lack of honour? Really?

Come on.

3. Dean Winchester

Look at tessenjutsu in koryu.

You'll probably see less twirly openings and more smack em over the head stuff.

I have a feeling you've been shown something that is leaning towards the Chinese arts and not so much the Japanese.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I've no idea what it was I was shown, its not something we study, it was just a guest instructer at a course I went on, it was almost embu like in that it was pair work, and it was roughly 6 short 'katas'/'embus' ranging from basic block and return strikes (this was where the fan opening strike across the throat came in) to throws and locks.

and yes, generally speaking I dislike guns, anyone can shoot someone, just pull the trigger and at a short range chances are you'll hit and pretty much kill the target, the other person has little to no chance. sure they're great for killing people, I just dislike them.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Shortbows.

Really, if you're going to be using a bow then get a proper longbow. Only cavalry use shortbows - damned toffs.

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Especialy with the solid non opening type of tessen.

[​IMG]

7. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

What's DSD? Did you learn the application to the moves with the form or just the form?

They're not meant to be some magnificent weapon that knows no equal. The purpose is to learn to take advantage an everyday item (or at least what used to be an everyday item) for basic self defence.

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I don't like the atomic, biological and chemical weapons.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

They're not meant to be some magnificent weapon that knows no equal ,their purpose is to learn to take advantage an everyday item (or at least what used to be an everyday item) for basic self defence.[/QUOTE]

The fan can be used to hook or strike either closed( with handle)or open.if youre using a metal fan you can do a lot of damage.its also light and easily concealed.
    Heres a clip of my daughter demonstrating(before you ask ,yes she can explain the
    applications!

www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1/&v=gtmQE_XsQ7A

10. Dean Winchester

Yep :D

From what I've seen, either watching embu or being uke, tessen tends to share some similarities with kodachi waza.

11. AE3erdion

AE3erdion New Member

I like Fan, specially combat Fan (with a blade in the corner)

I don't like a 3 section staff.... For me is like a big nunchakus :(

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

It would certainly easily slide into the Main Gauche family of weapons if it was western too.

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'd have to disagree. Hitting a target with a pistol is damned hard. And to tell the truth, any weapon is going to make an unarmed person a sitting duck. Give an attacker a knife, the unarmed party is likely going to die... you're not really much worse off facing a gun at close quarters. And there's more honour in shanking someone that shooting them? Makes no sense to me.

Just for fun, here's my favourite Todd Jarret clip. An incredible martial artist, just one who uses a modern weapon:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48"]Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting. - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards,

-Mark

14. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I change my answer to Nuclear bomb.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

HEY! Traditional Chinese fan forms are basically palmstick forms with a couple of fan motions. Modern performance/health orientated stuff has way too much fan twirling.
    For example [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmtF-YNB_8Q"]Choy Li Fut - Gum Lung Sin - Golden Dragon Fan - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BU59iE9nrw"]Choy Li Fut - Fei Lung Sin - Flying Dragon Fan - YouTube[/ame]
    as opposed to
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu_F3jcKdU"]Mulan fan - YouTube[/ame]

16. Dean Winchester

:evil:

That makes sense.

I'll admit it is the latter I'm familiar with but a lot of the "tessen" you see seems to be based on that, they don't get the background of the weapon's usage.

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yup! For fighting apps Chinese fans generally are the opposite of parachutes-They only function when closed!

18. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

ero-sennin's body

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, just because I'm really hairy and like to lather up in baby oil mixed with Crisco, doesn't mean I'm an inefficient weapon.

20. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I though you were completely shaved