Learning to train disabled people

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KickyFaerie, Oct 28, 2005.

1. KickyFaerie

KickyFaerie New Member

Hi there,
    I'm a French and IT teacher and am I'd like to become a martial arts (Savate - French Kickboxing) trainer in the years to come.
    I have had a few students in the past who were disable but since they were the outgoing battling type (in a good way) I had my work cut out for me.

There's a few things I'd need help with:
    1. I would like to encourage disabled people to try out the various activities I teach and enjoy: how best can I do that?

2. I'd like to learn more about how best/whether I should react when I meet disabled people. Do you guys in the disabled community want/expect to be treated differently or not? (What's the general consensus?)

3. I'd like to know what I can do to adapt my skills to be able to teach disabled people properly.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
    :)

2. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

I don't really know about the first one because the disabled people who will give it a go will eventually find you themselves, so perhaps your best bet is just to be seen in local newspapers and such.

I probably wouldn't bother contacting many disabled organisations as people who are in regular contact with those are more often than not the ones you aren't looking for (this is crip logic for you).

The ones you are looking for are more likely to be found reading local newspapers, so if you advertise at all the addition of the line "all physical abilities welcome" is probably all you need. Don't use the word disabled or they'll scan over the top of it! I found my sensei by asking, not by answering an advert for "disabled martial artist wanted".

As for how to react and how to adapt your skills, there's really no need to treat them any differently. If they're up for martial arts then they're not there to be molly-coddled they're there to challenge themselves and maybe bash in some skulls for a change.

Any sane disabled person will know their limits and keep within them. Know that you're probably not dealing with the sane variety of crip! We may know our limits but we'll push them so just be sensitive to each particular impairment and listen to feedback...

After all, we've been living with our unique bodies/minds for years.

And finally, know that everything I've said applies only to me and will probably be different for every disabled person you meet. We're like fingerprints: no two are ever the same!

Ben

3. humble student

humble student Valued Member

The best method I have found as a disabled individual and instrutor is to just be yourself and let them be who they are, unique people all with unique abilities a blind fighter may be the best grappler a person with arm impairments may be the best foot fighter. Just give each student your knowledge and they will give you theirs. I always learn more from a new student then they learn from me. Like a lot of instrutors say every martial artist develops his own style even within the same system. Most disabled people adapt things to them, you don't have change techniques, just teach and they will adapt to use what works for their needs.

GOOD LUCK!
    John Runer
    Defense Abled Instructor

4. KickyFaerie

KickyFaerie New Member

Thanks!

Thanks a lot for your help, guys!
    I had no doubt as to the uniqueness of my future students! My friend Lisa (who is also a former student of mine and whom you can meet on htt[COLOR=Blue]removed[/COLOR]) is a typical example of how colourful people can get! :)

I'll try and be the best me I can, then.
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
  5. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

hey KickyFaerie;)

My names Josh, I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and have had to go beyond what a lot of people thought I could do just so that I could prove to myself that I could do it. I've been doing martial arts for about 13 years now, and have achieved my 2nd degree black belt in Kuk Sool Won just this past year:) I hope this advise helps you. Don't give us help unless we absolutely need it. We have to fight to show that we can go above and beyond what (able bodied people) think we can do. I have a paper that I wrote called disabilities do not stop us in my thread called Cerebral palsy, please read it if you wish, and keep up the good work;)

6. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

Some excellent points in this thread - a lot (such as the above) apply to all students.

In one of my other lives, teaching digital photography and computer graphics, I have learned an enormous amount from a student who is registered deaf-blind. When she applied to join the course, I wasn't sure if I had the skills to help her, but we communicated and worked it out between us...

An additional point I'd like to make is:
    some students (and instructors) may have hidden disabilities, so it's always good to treat people as individuals, and not make assumptions about what they can or can't do