Learning to take punches

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Paul Genge, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

hmm well it depends would it be against a Bear or Giant Squid!!!!

Please go ask in the Kung Fu forum!!

2. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

Kind of a big subject change isnt it? Yes, i personally would, but not every fight requires it.

Back to systema...

I just dont know about this. First, shouldnt you train harder on not being hit then on being hit? Not to say that you shouldnt work on taking a blow, but to me allowing somebody to punch you repeatedly just because you can take it is rediculous. Paul, you talk about 'if you train to pull back you will in a street fight', well what do you have to say about brass nuckles or knives? According to your theory your going to let them hit you subcontiously because thats how you trained. I dont think breathing properly is going to help against a knife or brass knuckles, and by the end you might not be breathing at all! Quite frankly, if I'm going to let a person attack at all, they might as well have to do it from a distance, which allows me time to block/dodge/counter. Im talking about keeping people away w/ sidekicks and whatever you like. Maybe this is easier for me since im 6'4 but if somebody gets in close enough to hit me, im driving them right back until they're in my zone, but im not in theirs, understand what i mean? And im going to do it as fast as possible, thus reducing the opportunity of being struck.

Finally I would just like to add that this post is ment to be constructive, I'm in no way attempting to put down systema. I am a firm believer that every style has something to offer. All i'm saying is that if you are very good at blocks/dodges/and counters then yes, being able to be hit a bit is a good thing to add to you collection of MA skillz :D. But if you dont have those things down, you might as well be doing this --> :bang:

PEACE!
    DocQ

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  3. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

lol :D

Im pretty sure he meant against a bear...

4. royder1976

royder1976 Valued Member

Yes, of course it is possible to break your hand in a Full Contact fight but not in that demonstration.

5. Lord Spooky

You understand how strikes are delivered in Systema and the basic princilpes of the art? yeah?

You can't be assuming all this based on 60 seconds of video clip can you? :rolleyes:

Oh and I don't think Paul said the chap broke his hand??

6. Lord Spooky

Hi do you mind if I attempt to answer some of your points too? well I'm going to anyway :D :D

We do train to avoid being hit, one of the pillars of Sytema is correct movement! First we escape then we work :) but we also take into consideration the fact that in not all instances is it going to be possible to escape i.e working in a crowd/mass attack or folks lets face it everyone has bad days you can't guarantee yo're going to be quick enough everytime.

There's also an emotional and Psychological element to the Strike training; it builds confidence and lets you discover things about yourself and your limitations and your reaction to stress and fear!

As far as the Brass Knuckles and Knives go then again the first thing we do is escape but again if we are not moving quick enough, as there's always someone faster, we are already moving out of the danger area in a relaxed manner which with a bit of luck should help to minimise any damage we do take. Most of all we keep moving keep working untill it's safe. I'll say again we move, we escape, like any MA we use footwork to put ourselves in a position where we can gain an advantage.

Correct breathing does help against blunt objects. I've done strike training and been hit with not only fist and foot but also sticks, chains and whip. The breathing keeps you relaxed and lessens the chance of panic and freezing. It also lessens the pressure in your body (sorry if that sound strange) giving you a bit more er "Give" internally, probaly got you all thinking I'm a nut now :D

However yet again in this situation we have movement it could be moving the whole body or just a specific area, if in a confined space for example, away from the threat.

What you are seeing is a drill to train a specific area of Systema in a specific way. We are not going to just stand there and take it if it all kicks off we will be working, doing something.

Hope I've made sense? I'm sure Paul or Rob can cover it better.

:)

I didn't take it as a put down :) We do have the things you have listed (well I wouldn't say we block as such) we just apply it in a way that isn't really obvious unless you've trained in Systema.

7. regs

regs New Member

I know that in Okinawa Karate, my MA, we work well at all distances. If the area is to confined for a fist, then an elbow or knee works just as well. Not all MA's are designed for longer range, and some just work as well in short range or long range. I think that learning how to take a blow, effectively, is something that needs to be learnt. How else will you be able to take one in a real situation.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm going to go out and find someone to train me in the art. I'm still learning the basics of my art. I think that all MA's have something of value to teach, just like you can learn something from anyone. Whether it be something of value, or just that you don't want to be as big of an idiot as that person. :D

At any rate, thank you for posting that article. I found it very informative and forwarded it on to my sensei for his thoughts on it.

Thanks,
    regs

8. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

In the system we aim to avoid a hostile situation all together. If this fails and we are attacked we aim to avoid (escape) the attack, often by moving off the line of attack.

If this is not possible we aim to re-direct the attack. Sometimes this is done at the same time as the escape.

When this is not possible or we do not move correctly and get hit it is important to be able to work from the point of contact. Particularly in fights with multiples it is impossible to avoid or re-direct everything.

Paul Genge

9. Blunt Blade

Blunt Blade Valued Member

And even if we get hit, we try to keep moving. Something I have seen in both competitions and real world stuff is how movement stops when hits have been landed.

10. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

Of course I dont mind, that is after all the point of a forum :D

I understand now completely, but werent you all talking about a video of a guy just getting pounded because he could take it? I couldnt get the movie to play so i cant really comment on it more then that. I have to guess he was just making a point and not really doing all that he could?

11. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

That's true, I wouldn't mind learning that...it would probably help my non-stop sparring matches a lot.