Learning to sleep lightly

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bum-eyes, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

I also do things like Popeye (look up a bit), as the advice for asking a sailor is a good thing. You could also ask someone from (ex)military who had some active duty.
    Tell yourself when you go to bed: "I wan't to be up by (for example) 5:30" I use my alarm-clock (in case it won't work), but most of the time I have to wake up my alarm-clock myself.

Loud diesel-engined trucks can load/unload right under my window and I don't hear a sound (not active), but when my brother touches the doorknob of my bedroom, I'm awake and aware most of the time.

That's some awareness I can't really explain. Try and find out.

Regards,

Ives

2. hux

hux ya, whatever.

yea, some pretty fine living there. Cut out the caffeine and get more exercise. The military told us we needed 4-6 hours a night. I feel good if I get 7, sluggish if I get more or less than that.

Want to sleep light? Sleep on a hard surface with no blankie. But the best way to wake up quick is to get the proper amount of good sleep in the first place. Better off to get into REM quicker, not try to prevent it altogether.

What are they teaching in school these days? Gameboy?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
    Dead_pool likes this.
  3. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

:confused: School? What is this 'School' you speak of?

4. regs

regs New Member

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to sleep lightly unless they were on front line millitary duty, and that's only if there were likely to be bombs falling nearby. A body needs proper rest for a person to be able to function on a day to day basis. Healthy diet, proper excersize, low intake of caffine, proper breathing patterns. All those are keys to getting proper sleep. For me, I can have the neighbors mowing their lawn next door and not wake up, but if someone opens my bedroom door, I generally begin waking, and if someone comes in my bedroom, I always wake up.

For instance, my boyfriend came by the house yesterday morning. He knows where the spare key is and just comes in. Well, I'd had a late night and didn't get to bed until about 5, and he came by at around 8. As soon as he was in my bedroom, I was awake. I can sleep through most things, especially my alarm clock, but if someone opens my bedroom door and comes in, I'm instantly awake.

Just gotta "train" yourself on what you can and can't sleep through is all.

regs

5. JayEliott

JayEliott New Member

I also want to be a light sleeper my idea is find a position that you can sleep in but is hard to sleep in. Example dogs sleep deeply on there sides but if sleeping with there head on ther paws they cant reach REM sleep where they dream. I think there might be a position for humans to do this.

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

That's no reason to raise the dead, mate. :D

7. JayEliott

JayEliott New Member

Haha bro when did i mention raising the dead.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

He means this dead thread.

Seriously I think this thread is older than some people currently in work...

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What a weird thread.

Best way to learn to sleep lightly, and I've seen this achieved in hundreds if not thousands of people, is to have an extreme circumstance you're trying to avoid. For example, somebody actively trying to kill you, the constant threat of explosive ordinance or an ambush, etc.. It doesn't have to be that extreme though. Stressful circumstances in general will help you to sleep lightly because you're stressed. An example of this would be something like bootcamp in the military where you're concerned about drill instructors coming and yelling at you or something. I'm sure people interested in this sort of thing have had some sort of event they didn't want to oversleep and miss, or something important to do, and you set 20 alarms just to wake up either early or a couple minutes before your alarm. That panic-y feeling of absolutely having to wake up to be in time, that's the feeling you try to cultivate for "light sleeping."

It's really a mindset you put yourself into, and it's not freaking good for your general health. Sleeping lightly (and I speak from my experiences) comes from allowing paranoia and stress to become factors that guide your decisions and actions. Getting into that mindset that allows you to sleep lightly is a defensive mechanism that can help keep you alive in extreme circumstances, sure, but the most extreme circumstance most people are going to be in would be camping for a weekend where there's wild life. It's not a defense mechanism most people need to cultivate. Lack of deep sleep really messes with your mind, emotions, hormonal balance, and just about everything else. Being in the emotional and mental state to be able to make use of that sort of defense mechanism is also extremely taxing.

I'm only responding to this post becaues I have an online exam to take and I'm procrastinating. After spending many a years as a "light sleeper" I'm so freaking glad I can konk out now and not have to worry about getting my soul snatched in my sleep. Although I imagine dying in your sleep is one of the better ways to go.

David Harrison and Mushroom like this.
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Just to add that you don't need to be stressed or sleep lightly to set a mental alarm clock.

I've not done it for a while, because I need every minute of sleep I can get at the moment, but I could repeat a time twice in my head, tap myself lightly twice on my temple, then sleep soundly and wake up within a few minutes of the time I set. That was honed down over time from hitting my head against the pillow the same number of times as the time I wanted to wake up. I think meditation and general self-directed behavioural conditioning made this possible without the need for panic or stress. Also forays into implanting suggestions to achieve lucidly in dreams.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I like the way the answer to this is to sleep more, and sleep regularly instead of how to sleep less.

Mushroom likes this.
  12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

"How to be alert and ready at any given time? Have horrible sleep"

Well the thread is 15 years old....so....(shrugs)

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think fifteen years ago, I was much more alert and ready at any time.......

So perhaps have access to a time machine?

axelb likes this.
  14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Not getting any proper deep sleep really affects your... wotsit... memory.

Dead_pool and Smitfire like this.