learning to fight is a bunch of crap...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mike O'Leary, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

:woo:

Now that i got your attention hahahahha

A submission for discussion..

I have read dicussion on this forum about which is the most effective martial art. I have read statements and disagreements on how kata, technique and even breathing should be done. I have heard comment about how training hard and getting tough are the essence of the martial arts. I submit that learning how to fight is a side effect of training and that the goal of training is to create a healthier, happier, more secure individual..... any comments..........?????????????????????????????

Mike.....:Angel:

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Well....you seem to be focusing more on health and fitness. anyways I would like to add that -

To become a good fighter we have to train our bodies to meet the necesarry requirements.

I seriously think these two go hand in hand....but then maybe someone else has better views on these....I am waiting for Tkdwarrior's or Yoda's reply to this discussion though.
    |Cain|

3. Mike O'Leary

I simply said that the act of learning to fight was a side effect... and that the primary would be to create a better person.. as defined by funakoshi.....

Mike

4. dragon_duplicat

dragon_duplicat New Member

true definition

5. waya

waya Valued Member

I think that is ultimately the final goal of training.... We will all eventually lose our physical skill, but the knowledge gained, and how we better ourselves can never be taken away.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Oops sorry Mike, for being kinda rude in my last post I have edited it now....no hard feelings I hope :)
    |Cain|

7. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Why would everyone have the same goal?

Some people have this as a goal, others have self-defence or competition, streetfighting ability, fun, social reasons and any number of other things.

Define better person. Then show how karate does this, then that karate is one of the more effiecient methods of doing this.

8. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

hmmm....sounds good to me:)

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Nope - its' the other way around.

10. Cain

Cain New Member

I agree with Andrew, different people look at it differently, I believe there is no absolute specific goal in martial arts nietherr is there an end to it [I guess that means I have to put up with 80 push-ups all my life :D ]
    |Cain|

11. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I agree with Yoda.

If learninghow to defend your self/fighting is a side affect of training then anyone that goes to Tae Bo(a kick/boxersize class) should get the same effect, I doubt this unless someone can prove different?

12. Mike O'Leary

Interesting... so tell me all those hard trainers out there... that are training for self defence or combat or the ring.. do you retire when your gaol is met? ... hmmmm and what do you do at 50... i guess since it is unlikely any of you would be the one in a million to still be ring fighting at that age.. that you will all stop training then am I correct..hmmmmmmmm

And who ever said that training to be a better person involved anything less than good shape... good technique.. and good spirit...

mike

13. Mike O'Leary

I agree with Yoda.

If learninghow to defend your self/fighting is a side affect of training then anyone that goes to Tae Bo(a kick/boxersize class) should get the same effect, I doubt this unless someone can prove different?

Morphus..... I wish you had told me this earlier... after all then I would never have to learn martial arts ... i could have simply taken Tae bo... your post tells me you recognize this as a legit style of learning combat... is that correct.....???????????????

mike __________________
    I was beside myself when the doctor diagnosed schizophrenia!

14. Mike O'Leary

Yoda....... please elaborate.... after all......... it is a dicussion.. and i beleive that funakoshi did say what he did... that to train and study was to create a better person.... physically, spiritually and mentally.... to be a good warrior one must be open to all around him... have confidence and compassion.... one must be the eternal student... and always approach situations and learning with an empty cup..... going into battle with a preconceived idea of how it will come out is suicide..... being open and adapting to a changing environment is the key to success.....

Mike ...

15. Mike O'Leary

I suggest to anyone answering that you consider what training has done for you... has it made you a better person... and what has it taught you outside the relm of fighting.... what has the dicipline instilled in you.... even if you train for social reasons as someone said..... does that mean they do not benefit from the exercise.. the mental awarness and the spiritual awakening that will eventually take place if you train hard and long enough... Spiritual here is not talkin of religion.. but of spirit.... of focus and conviction... again.. remember i have submitted this on the basis of Gichin Funakoshi and his philosophy.... before you run at the battle... see it for what it is...

mike

16. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

I think I probably agree with Mike's original sentiment that the primary benefit (although not necessarily the primary goal) of Martial Arts is creating a 'better person', and learning to fight is secondary.

The reason that a Tae Bo class will not build the soul as much as a 'proper' martial art is that it will not push the person to the same extent as there is no physical combat (and overcoming the associated fear that goes with it).

However, any sport that pushes the body to its limits (which is most sports at the highest level) will build the character of the person doing it. The difference with Martial Arts is that if you do not compete to your full potential you dont just lose the race - you tend to get a good ol' fashioned kicking as well!

17. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Tae Bo - no i i don'think it a style of its own, what i meant was the fact that its a keep fit class that kicks and punches - what you implied was that they learn to defend themselves/fight as a by-product, and i disagree with that.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but thats what it sounded like to me, care to clarify?

18. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i missed this thread :D
    well for a change i'll say that i m quite a nice person... so i needed to learn to fight so i picked up MA...

ok seriously MA is supposed to built for self defense not for character building...if u need character building then u should look for church, temples/gurudawaras n so called religious gurus...
    if u need fitness u should look for yoga, aerobics n other fitness systems...
    as MA is all about Hard work, preservance discipline etc etc...all other things comes as a side effect..;)
    hard work with preservance for years give u humbleness or Ego if u got the later one then someday u'll meet ur match n know that u r not the BEST...
    as u said spiritual doesn't involves religion but to me it involves knowing the how n why of u....
    even as u get old u tend to stay away from materialistci things n start developing the Spiritual Intellect(that's why u see mostly Old ppl)
    -TkdWarrior-

19. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

to add into my previous post...as for tae bo is concerned i hav seen they do some MA drills...those will work if the intent is rite..
    intent from both student n teacher's side...
    something as hong kong fuey said... "The Soul"
    cheers
    -TkdWarrior-

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I think you'll find he was actually saying the opposite, but that if your suggestion that learning to fight is a side-effect of training were true then it would have to be effective.

Three things that my training has done for me, ranked from first to third.

Self-defense
    Self-improvement
    Self-confidence