Learning the speed bag techniques?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by u6s68, Jul 9, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Is there a proper way to go about learning them so that poor technique doesn't prevail?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Are you using a speed ball, or a top and bottom ball (elastic each side of the ball)?

3. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

It's a speed bag. The pear shaped one on a clip with a circular wooden board above.

4. Simon

This guy describes the technique well.

Stick to right hand for several strikes, then left for several strikes until you get the rhythm down well enough to hit with both hands.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk66nbEOtBg"]speed bag tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You have to get good at hitting the speed bag normally before you can start trying to do different stuff with it. Everything from your posture to how you bounce on your feet is important. It's sort of like jumping rope honestly, you do it to death until you can skip normally and then you can start working on the cool stuff.

It's better to watch a video to learn than read text and Simon already posted a vid.. I just wanted to mention that to get good at it and get use out of it, the work should be mind numbingly boring. :p

Also, it's good to start on a slower speed bag to figure things out than a faster one. The bigger the bag, the slower it is. If you're trying to start on a peanut shaped bag, you're in for double the frustration.

Top and bottom ball? That's a new one to me. I've always called it a double end bag. Learning how to do that one was probably one of the most frustrating experiences ever!

6. Simon

I like the double end bag and your advice about the size of bag applies here too.
    The small peanut bag is advanced only.
    Big is best and it can really highlights how slow you can be to react.

7. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7SW2J7KeX0"]How To Hit a Speedbag - YouTube[/ame]

This one advocates the use of knuckles then hammer fist. He says this is the best way to start out

8. Simon

I wouldn't want to get in the habit of hitting with the bottom three knuckles. It's a sure fire recipe for a boxer's fracture.

9. Simon

Tips from a pro.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmF7dSPyQe4"]Speed Bag Tutorial With Boxer Amir Khan - YouTube[/ame]

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Noooooooooo! That is the worst advice ever!

Never, and I mean never, hit with the bottom three knuckles when punching. It might work for some other martial arts that don't focus specifically on punching, but Boxing punches have too much power in them to hit with those knuckles. You will surely fracture or even break them. No kind of training should involve hitting with those knuckles, not even the speed bag.

When you're able to start implanting different angles and punches on the speed bag, you should always be focusing on hitting with the two strong knuckles. The way you have to maneuver your shoulder, arm, and even body simulates the nasty inside punches and overhand punches. Keep in mind though that the speed bag is about reaction time/reflexes and shoulder endurance, not working on punching skill. That's a very advanced thing to do, and if you're posting a thread about trying to get started on the speed bag you're certainly not there yet.

For starting out, you should be hitting with the pad of flesh just below the pinky knuckle (the blade of your hand) while your hand is in a fist. Again, keep in mind the speed bag is drilling reaction time/reflexes and shoulder endurance. The guy in the video was a bit of a goober!

I would recommend doing pyramids, which is how I learned. 10 hits one hand, switch hands, then 9 hits each hand, then 8, 7, 6, etc. and then back up. If you do that 3 times it usually lasts about a 3 minute round when you start getting the hang of it. Once you get the hang of it you'll figure out how to flow with it better. It's just like jumping rope honestly. You do it until you're numb with frustration, start getting good at it, and then start doing all the cool stuff with it.

11. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Damn I want a speed bag. My neighbors would kick off though

12. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

What do you guys think of this guy's technique at 2.22 mins? It's similar to the first one I posted but he strikes with the first two knuckles. Apparently he saw it on the film Million Dollar Baby.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlAx0MCMjU"]Bfree's Chris tutorial on Speed Ball (Bag) boxing punch training - YouTube[/ame]

13. Simon

Terrible.

For one his non striking hand completely switches off when hitting.