Le Canne - Walking Stick Self Defence

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Punchy, Feb 22, 2006.

1. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Absolutely true as always, Kirk. However BW didn't teach any of them as a distinct style, combining them with savate, boxing and la canne to form Baritsu. Likewise, neither Tani nor Uyenishi were judo at the time, Tani not becoming Kodokan until Kano's visit to the Budokwai, Uyenishi to the best of my knowledge never was Kodokan.

2. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Yeah, I know. But my point was that B-W when he intruduced JJ he also, effectively, introduced Judo. Heck, Judo was considered just another style of JJ up through at least the 20's or 30's as far as most Westerners were concerned.

So when you say, "Minor point, it was jiu jitsu, not judo that would have been introduced into England in the 1800's" and then credit B-W you must also include Judo even if it's "not *just* Judo." (I know I'm picking fly-crap out of pepper here but I think it's a fair point.) ;-)

Yeah. But not really relevant to the B-W - Judo connection, imo. :)

You're on the [Bartitsu_Forum], right?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

You're on the [Bartitsu_Forum], right? Ya think? Who else would know this arcane stuff?:cool:

4. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

HAHAHAHA

Good point. :)

Peace faovr your sword,
    Kirk

5. Nails

Nails Valued Member

Schools In Oxfordshire

Is there any?

6. Patrick Hughes

Patrick Hughes Valued Member

Hey Punchy,
    How are you enjoying your training with Paul?

Cheers!
    Patrick

7. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Hi Patrick,

He is really excellent! Weapons are new to me and the stick fighting is quite an insight; a new world. The way Paul teaches seems very practical, so I beleive I can use it without modification for self defence. One unexpected insight is that I can now better understand how some of the martial arts came to develop their stances and techniques. The weapons came first and provided a model for unarmed combat. You can see it with traditional Jiu-Jitsu stances etc.

Unfortunately I have to have a break for a couple of months as I previously snapped my anterior cruciate (?) ligiament in November and hurt it again bush walking over Easter, so the Doctor said I need to rest it for a couple of months until full recovered.

Do you train with Stoccata?

8. Patrick Hughes

Patrick Hughes Valued Member

Hey Punchy,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Ouch!

Yeah, I train with Paul. Let me know when you're feeling up for it again.

Cheers!
    Patrick

9. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Interresting wiew; I've allways believed it to be the oposite way around; that unarmed forms the basis for armed. (Fiore di Liberis Fior di battaglia from 1410 seems to base his weapon-section on unarmed combat.) The big point is anyway that the principles for armed and unarmed fighing are the same.

10. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Interresting wiew; I've allways believed it to be the oposite way around; that unarmed forms the basis for armed. (Fiore di Liberis Fior di battaglia from 1410 seems to base his weapon-section on unarmed combat.) The big point is anyway that the principles for armed and unarmed fighing are the same.