Lau Gar's Bac Pye Jurn Question

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Talyn, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

So, Palms of the Baat Paai (8 Rows/Lines) Mountain.

What does the 8 rows or 8 lines bit refer to with regard to the intention behind the form and the movements?

I know the movements of the form, but I want to know if there's some philosophical side to it also.

2. herbert

herbert Valued Member

I thought it meant palm of the 8 peaked mountain, or the white peaked mountain, depending on wheter the "bac" is 8 or white, referring to the "sugarloaf" mountains in Guilin.
    I don't know anything about the 8 rows/lines.

3. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Drawing a blank here to I'm afraid. Thought it was just the name of the mountains.

4. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

It may well be just the name of the mountains. I was curious as to whether the meaning behind the naming of the mountains had any relevance to the, otherwise arbitrary, naming of the form.

5. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

If you hit someone in the face (peak) 8 times with your palm they will more than likely fall over! :D

(unless you cant hit very hard, then they will laugh and make you fall over)

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

as far as i remember its the name of the mountain where the set was learned and named after that to honour it

7. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I always thought it was because you change direction 8 times in the set.
    But then I tried it, and you don't.
    So it's not that.

It's ok, you can thank me later..

8. steel fingers

steel fingers Valued Member

Bak (or Buk) can mean North
    Pai - family or style
    Jeung - Palm.

By the sounds or look of phonetic translation the dialect is Cantonese, Hong Kong from where Jeremy Yau SiFu is from, based on my understanding of cantonese, my opinion of the name is below

Colloquial and or phonetic translation of chinese word can lead to many miss-understandings

Bak Pai Jeung "Literally" Northern Family/Style Palm

9. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. steel fingers

Tartovski

Bak Pai Jeung in cantonese means Northern Family Palm

The link you posted reading the chinese chacaters and then running through online software gives two translations

The 1st set of Characters simply translates to 8 row/lines of palms 八排掌
    The 2nd set of characters simply translates as 8 row/lines of mountains 八排山

You have three word Bak Pai and Jeung it does not translate to 6 characters, nor does it translate as palms of the 8 northern mountain peaks lines..

Personally I believe it only means what I have said Northern Style Palm, the word Bak can be spun to mean, white or 8 or north. ...white style palm, 8 style palm, don't think so.

Having shown the link you posted to my chinese students. They are in agreement with me. So where you take it from there ...call it what ever your happy with

11. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I think you're wrong with this one steel fingers. "palm of the bac pye mountains" is in the English language version of the Lau Gar syllabus which comes from Jeremy Yau. It is not open to interpretation.

You should know that the Chinese frequently contract terms in order to conform to aesthetics, e.g. 4,6,8 character terms.

Wudang chang quan could be Wudang Paai Long Fist but "Paai" is dropped for stylistic reasons to achieve a 4 character form name.

12. steel fingers

CFT,

Gwok Si Gwok Fat

Of course Lau Gar as it is taught in UK open to interpretation ;-)

I am aware of Chinese colloquial terminology and how it can be used

13. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

As far as I know its palm of the bac pye mountain there is no option for it be open to interpretation. As mentioned the very name comes from Master Yau's mouth and its never been any different, check the 100's of UK Lau Gar web sites syllabus sections!!

14. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Yep always been Palm of the Bac Pai Mountain. If you are trying to translate the words, not the characters, it may be worth mentioning Master Yau is Hakka so maybe Hakkanese is different? I don't know.

15. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Right, so what you're saying is even though literally translated it doesn't read "palm of the bac pai mountain" because we all know what it means, it can be contracted to be written as it is?

16. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

makes sense! as it translates to bac pai palm as we see it! jurn meaning palm n all!