Lau Gar Discussion

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sub zero, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

chee that picture is not working, I just get an "i" can you email it to me? is it on a chinese website?

2. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Can you see it from this page: http://baike.baidu.com/view/498484.htm

If not then I'll send it to you. PM me your email address.

3. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

ah I see now, yeah thats BKFA guys training in Foshan!

what does the article say? as one I dont have the language pack installed and 2 I cant read chinese! lol!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  4. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I'm translating the 1st article on the page. Almost half done, will post in the Resources sub-forum.

5. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

be aware that sub forum has been locked as it dwindled into off topic land!

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah, the intent of that subforum,when I set it up,was that it was more resource based,keeping the lengthy debates about lau gar/kung fu to the main kung fu forum.

It seems to have gone all wrong though.Shame, it could be an excellent resource if only people could keep their bickering to other places. :( Sadness

7. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

OK then. I'm the real Jeremy Yau and true keeper of the style.
    We were switched at birth, but now I have returned to claim what is rightfully mine!

8. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

A couple things:

Firstly tartovski suit yourself, we wont get anywhere so lets not debate the lineage issue and debate other more meaningful stuff instead, seems as though you lack the capacity to look at the issue logically. You carry on your quest to find the real lau gar whilst i train my kung fu and make something of myself as a martial artist.

I would also like to apologize, ng ying gar is a lau form...my bad.

Oh and for jorn sau, when i practice it i don’t rely on dynamic tension in terms of the arm being all tensed, but the body is tensed i guess in that you breath with it. That’s how i practice it, the breathing is still stressed so the abdominals etc are tensed but dynamic tension as such i don't do. Do you guys keep your arms tensed? ( I know thats how it used to be practiced, but just seems unnecessary). And what exactly do you mean by dynamic tension?

9. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

Jong Sau

I think I can offer some input into Jong Sau. Firstly it provides students with a means of altering their breathing from upper body (shallow) to a more productive lower abdominal method. Typically inexperienced (new) students commence training using shallow breaths which although useful in countering immediate periods of exhaustion, is not the most effective way to manage sustained periods of endurance and intensity. Typically though during Martial Arts practice we use both depending on what the activity is and its purpose. Secondly Jong Sau through the interaction of breathing, postural lift, expansion and compress, massages and stimulates the internal organs (and muscles). This would be consistant with Easten ideals in I assume all Martial Arts of said origin. This method also stimulates the flow of Chi (allegedly) which also forms part of the above interaction of events. Jong Sau also provide a vehicle for students to synchronise their minds and body. Again this evolves from the interaction of both the external aspects of the 'form' the physical moves and the internal (mind). So far as dynamic tension is concerned, I think this is the obvious but less relevant answer. Jong Sau should be performed with some tension, however if the breathing becomes to audible as a consequence of strain, I don't believe this is correct. I see the actual moves as they exist in the form as something of an irrelevance, I could swop any of them around or replace them and achieve the same effect. The set goes beyond the sheer physical application of its moves.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  10. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

riiiiiiight.

anyway. we practice jorn sau with tension that matches the breathing if that makes any sense?! SO for the majority of the movements the breathing is slow and progressive as is the tension, slow and progressive, for the few sharp movements in the set the breath and movement is sharp and fast, for eg, the zombie grab escape at the start into the double backfist.

Of course belly breathing is activated rather than shallow chest breathing. This form, oddly enough is my favourite form to do out of all of them.

11. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Five family shapes or roughly, five shape family is what that is...... translated.

Where does this set originate from?

Does it have the five families or five animals?

It's kind of a confusing title..... sounds a bit off.

Hope it's not a blatant rip off a Hung Gar form re-pressed and re-packaged. That would be bad.

12. CFT

CFT Valued Member

It's not Ng Ying Gar, it's Ng Ying Kuen - 5 shapes (i.e. animals) fist. It seems to be common to the Southern fist (Nam Kuen) family. It is in Hung Gar and Choy Lee Fut at least, probably more systems have it too.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It all gets mysteriouser and mysteriouser!!!!

14. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I really think we need Jeremy Yau (or one of the guardians armed with the knowledge and authorised on his behalf) to answer these questions!

To my mind we seem to be getting different answers from different people.
    Just take the Jurn Sao minefield. I've always practised it with dynamic tension, as (AFAIK) has everyone else. If Freud>God is now claiming it's not dynamic either a)he personally is doing it differently or b)the way the forms practised has changed.

Speaking of which - @freud>god:
    Exactly where am I being illogical?
    We know that there was a lau gar of the 5 family styles originally.
    We know two people lay claim to that lineage, but the styles look totally seperate.
    Therefore the logical conclusion is one is the 5 family styles, and the other isn't.
    To do as you suggest - and suppose that 5 families lau gar was lost and both the UK & Guandong lineages are seperate styles means we now have 3 styles of lau gar:
    The Five Families Lau Gar
    The BKFA's Lau Gar
    Xiao Yong Ding's Lau Gar in Guangdong.

This falls foul of ockhams razor.

15. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Xiao Yongding has the recognition of the Guangdong martial arts fraternity, home of the Southern fist. Not to mention the national accolades.

If his stuff looks a bit Hung Gar, Choy Gar, etc. then it stands to reason since it is part of the Southern fist family.

16. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Can you give details of that recognition/those accolades (when you have time!) as it might be important as to the veracity of those claims.
    e.g. Lau Gar is acknolwedged by the BCCMA - but does that mean much?
    Or to put it another way - Gillian McKeith does have doctorate, it's just not worth the paper it's printed on!

17. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Haha ... that is the next half of the article. Boring compared to the descriptions of the art but I guess it provides a certain type of balance to the article.

18. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

how long till we get the article dude? :):)

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's over in the resources section Mr O :)

20. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

just read it! Do'h!