Latest UK Lottery winner goes to...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by budogirl, Aug 13, 2004.

1. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

...a convicted rapist. This man was given a life sentence in 1989 and bought a ticket whilst on weekend leave.
    He is allowed to keep the money but it is said that his victims will be able to sue him for some of the money.

What are your reactions to this???

2. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

First weekend leave, why, what in hell is prison for, a holliday? and what do the authorities think they are doing in letting prisoners out?
    Oh sorry i forgot this is England and the wrongdoers have more rights than we do.

The win should either be declared void or the money should be taken from him and used to compensate his victim/s.

David

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  3. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I think Tessa Jowell is going to intervene and take it off him, although i think he should have it then his 6 victims can have it all off him!!

4. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Nice to see that they have know put him a high security prison as he is considered high risk, so a pennyless rapist not a problem, let them out for weekend jollies etc to do whatever they want, rapist with a few quid in his pocket is considered more of a risk ???

(Before anybody says I know that its because he is considered to have a higher risk of fleeing the country, but it still seems a bit backwards to me, surely the point of him being locked up is to stop him attacking people???)

Camelot must have some clause were they can withold payment, due to him being a convicted sex attacker still serving his sentence

Neil

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Apparently they dont, its ludicrous but they are obliged to habd over the money, when it was set up the lottery had info from the home office and this situation didnt come into it, IMO its because if your in prison thats where you should stay not pop out for a weekend jolly!!

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Unfortunately, he is entitled to the money - just like any other valid winner.

However, what the hell is he doing walking the streets at weekends? :confused:

7. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Weekend leave from prison is quite common, its the way of reintergrating people back into the community particularly towards the end of a long sentence. Which I personally find disgusting, but i have particulary jaded view of the British judicial system.

Howver, in relation to this bloke winning the lottery, he was out of prison legally, purchased the ticket legally and has not broken any laws in relation to the winning of the money. Morally is questionable that he was out of prison till his sentence was complete. I think that as he has not broken any law in realtion to this then he should e allowed to claim the money, if it wasnt agianst the rules when he did it, why should he lose out?

But, his victims should then sue him as he has money, and its highly likely that he would lose it all, which would be more of a punishment than not allowing him to claim the money. He would be thinking about the years ohis life he lost and then the millions because of his crimes, that would bother him a lot more i think.

8. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Reaction? <yawn>

9. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Some interesting replies - thanks. :D
    Here's my opinion on the matter...
    I know the prisoner won fair and square - but it does seem that the fact that no laws have been broken makes it seem such an outrage to some people. Maybe they feel that a "bad" person shouldn't win but as it has been pointed out by Johnny X, he is a valid winner. The private lives of big winners is often reported in the press - even documentaries are made on them. We seem to like to know who wins and what they spend their money on as if this will give us the secret to the lottery. But there is no secret - it could be you or it could be a convicted rapist.

I was shocked to learn that he had weekend leave (did the victims know that? I know very little about the prison/sentencing system). Why should he get weekend leave if he's got a life sentence! Oh yes, I forgot, a life sentence does not actually mean life! :woo:
    I don't think the government should intervene but let's wait and see if the victims want to sue for compensation. I feel bad for the victims - the media on this case must make it difficult to move on with their lives.

By the way, I also read that his wife (who married him in prison after being his pen pal) wants a cut of the cash. Apparently, she thought he was an armed robber not a rapist :rolleyes: Oh man!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Prisoners aren't allowed to gamble in betting shops or anything like that, so why should they be allowed to do the lottery? They shouldn't, but dumbasses that run the country don't stop this do they, so the guy gets the money. Ridiculous. Burn em at the stake.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Why is a life sentence called a life sentence when it doesn't mean life?

When his victims sue him he will probably get legal aid!!!!!!

That's how it seems to work these days, isn't it!!!!!!

12. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

With 7 million in the bank he is not eligable for legal aid, though in this country who knows, and if his victims sue him some so called expert will come out with all the crap as to how he was abused as a kid, how he is not understood by society. The hired shrink will be wheeled out and spout as to how it was his victims fault as they asked for it. The social workers will say he is no longer a danger to women as long as they stay away from him.

The senile old doderer ( judge ) tries to stay awake and give the impression that he/she is listening and will end up awarding him damages against his victims. If the judge is a certain Mrs C Blair forget sueing him you've lost.

I think the Arabic justice is called for here. If you steal they cut off your hand, if you rape they cut off your ??????????? and a good job too.

Sorry if I sound cynical but I have seen it too often to hope that anything has changed.

David

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Thing is, some clever Barrister will argue that the £7 million is not to be spent until the case is over. This will result in him receiving legal aid.

You just watch! :(

He also would not be the first person with money in the bank to get legal aid! :woo: