Lat movements in explosive strength work outs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Apr 7, 2011.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

SUP?!

Recently split my strength work up a little due to changing goals.

Strength work is split into:

Explosive strength, strength endurance and maximal strength.

explosive day is pretty fun and revolves around Olympic lift variations and plyometrics, i would however like to hit my lats a little more in this session.

Does anyone have any ideas for a Explosive/plyometric movement that hits the lats pretty hard?

2. Osu,

Have you tried clap pull ups? :)

Osu!

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

dont know why but the thought of that made me LOL
    probably because i tried this once and smashed my face into the bar

4. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Even better is pull ups with weighted cloths!

5. seiken steve

Tried something similar where you jump between neutral grip and wide grip but my ROM wasn't as good as I'd have liked.

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvJ9MqHCwfU"]YouTube - TFW Plyo Chin Up Progressions at Univ. Iowa[/ame]

:)

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

that's awesome FOD. If I'm lucky I might just about manage switching grips

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Not sure if it's on that video (can't access Youtube from here) but an easy one is to simply jump from the floor and grab the bar, then using that momentum doing a pull-up then as you come back down let go of the bar, land, and repeat. You want it to be all one movement.

10. liero

liero Valued Member

Are you doing those three sessions all in one week?

Wouldnt that limit your results as opposed to doing say 4 weeks focussing on each one?

11. seiken steve

The problem with periodising like that liero is buy the time your in your 4 th phase then you've lost the gains from the first phase in my opinion.

This training is working out really well for me, I'm not getting stronger as fast as someone on a dedicated max strength routine but I'm still stronger each week and I have much more 'in the tank' when boxing, other people may get tidily squat out of it.

I'm doing

Monday boxing
    Tuesday energy system work ie road work and sprints
    Wednesday strength endurance or conditioning (alternating through the week, they are both pretty similar)
    Thursday boxing
    Friday max strength
    Saturday the boxing club trains on the beach, could be anything from road work to pushing vans
    Sunday upper body explosive work (legs are normally sore) power snatch, power clean and press plyo work etc.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I tend to agree with Liero about periodising. Whilst it's true that you will 'lose' some of the gains made, there are ways of reducing that loss. I periodise but always have 'maintennace' sessions in my program.

If I'm in a power phase, I still have a couple of heavy lifts (DL and squat).
    In a strength phase I use the Oly movements as warm ups (part of the loss is neurological, your body 'forgets').

Etc....

If you try to do everything at once, then you're gains won't be as big as they could be. Though, there is the 'Crossfit arguement' ;) (Suddenly reminded of the 'Chewbacca defence' from South Park! :D ).

In the end, it all depends on goals, available time/facilities and what you're willing to do :)

"Don't add a moral dimension to strength training." - Dan John aka God ;)

13. seiken steve

Nice to meet another DJ fan!

I’ve just finished a pretty hefty strength cycle and I’m fighting pretty soon.

I found this is a pretty good balance for getting my punching nice and strong and keeping it strong through out the rounds, i see a lot of the lads at the club be hellishly strong and powerful in their 'off season' and set much weaker and slower when they drop the strength work completely and focus on cardio and conditioning, I’m determined not to do the same! Hence the one strength session thrown in at the end of the week.

I'm very far from crossfit i hope! for a start I do real pull ups.... :evil:

Its not a permanent solution and I’ll go back to my usual strength work after the fight, or give 531 a bash.