Last fight video!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its finally been released!

Video of my last fight where I lost horribly :p

Quick summary on my part: Adrenaline dumped like mad, didn't warm up, and generally entered the cage with no cardio. A lot of time on the ground, especially in later rounds, I had space to get up against the cage but couldn't find the energy.

Striking wise, always been my weak point but in this one I was very, very nervous to engage standing up and it shows. All credit to Wheeler, he threw me off a lot with his side kicks and the first kick he threw which was a knee stamp. Was far too wary to commit to strikes which is unfortunate as looking back, if I'd stayed in his face I think I would of had the striking aspect of the fight.

But there you are. It happens.

Watched it now, more points:

I actually had a better first round than I thought I did. Shame about the other two. Far too blinkered looking for the guillotine though as we'd been working them like mad for the last few months and I was desperate for one. Forgot the whole 'position before submission' mantra. Actually, most of the grappling can be summed up as me losing all sense of awareness. That back give up was horrible to watch.

Also feel a need to apologise to my coach when I see him for how horrible my guard was on those kicks. Terrible guard, far too hesitant with the strikes in general and left myself far too open to being countered because I didn't just whip them out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEyc4ndiUBw

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Good fight bro! I really enjoyed it.

You are correct about your striking reticence....had you pressed him a bit he would have folded, because he clearly did not like the impact gem - that is hindsight of course. Your flurry after the ballshot had him worried, adn a bit of "sticl and move" there would have worked wonders for you

Overall though I think you should be damn proud - you stepped up, represented well and learned from it...that's a win all round in my book!

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

good fight! get 'em next time.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

You did something 99.9999% of people (including me) have or never will do so you mad respect for that.

You seem like you learned a lot from and hopefully you weren't too badly hurt. No doubt you'll come back better for it.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That nut shot tho...

You went in. You fought. You did what you can. It happens.
    You bounced right back for another.

Good on ya

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I understand fighters don't want to say anything that sounds like an excuse, but I have to ask. Did that low blow (two of them?) possibly affect you during that fight? Take something out of you where you weren't quite the same?

Or did it really not affect you after the couple minute rest?

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It probably didn't help, but no. I dragged out that rest to recover as it was and after the sparring session I had tonight cardio is not my strong suit.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It looked like he was just a tiny bit better at grappling but your striking was beautiful and clean. Even after taking two to the boys your looked really sharp on your feet and you definitely had him worried about those combos.

That looked great and you should be proud!

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Good Job Aaron! reluctance to strike will pass with experience and you stepped up, shot to the chaps looked rough but you bounced back and had him worried for a bit IMO.

Its all experience and you stepped up and represented, your coach and team should be proud.

Cheers

Dan

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

This.

And this!

---

As someone who knows very little about MMA, please take my observations with a big pinch of salt.

It seemed to me that your punching was more effective than you are giving it credit for. Maybe you need to have a bit more confidence in your stand-up game and not be always looking to go for a takedown? In this particular fight, it seemed that your opponent had an advantage of strength and was a good grappler, so trying to fight at range might have benefitted you. I don't recall him doing you any damage standing up. (Apart from kicking you in the plums, of course!)

The commentators said that you were entitled to a full five minutes recovery time. I know that the crowd might have got a bit restless if you had held things up that long, but so might your opponent! I wonder if the outcome would have been a bit different if you'd given yourself a longer recovery time. I certainly think you'd have lasted longer.

There were two instances where you appeared to be trying to break from a clinch, and your opponent grabbed you as you did so. Maybe that is something worth looking at: controlling the break-from-clinch (or whatever term you use for it.)

Finally, it was really nice to see your missus was there to support you. I thought her outfit was lovely.