Langenschwert's Favourite clips from ARMA

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Langenschwert, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

As I said, these rumours are old and that page dates from 2000. Shortly after this rumor started Jeff Basham stated to me and a number of other ARMA members that it did not occur as stated in the rumor, he said he was not "spewing blood". Again, John Clements and ARMA have one of the best safety records in the WMA community. Rumors reflect poor upon the character of those who spread them, so let's drop this. Rumors are for trolls, not martial artists.

Yes, the discussion did move off topic, that is why I suggested moving back onto the original topic of the high level of swordsmenship skill shown in the videos.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Ran: A rumor isn't automatically a lie, but that's kind of irrelevant, because I agree with you that this thread should not degenerate into "have Clements injured anybody or not?" That can only lead to bad things. Anybody who injures somebody can learn from his mistakes, and like another current thread on this forum, wrongs from the past should perhaps be forgotten-eventually.

3. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

:topic: Yes.... :topic:
    If I had a penny for evey "instructor related injury" i'd have £2.79p -

Now can we please keep the thread 'on topic'

Cheers!

Louie

4. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

that will be a first! :D

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The clip obviously shows two exponents with excellent control. There should be a "sense" if danger but no overt danger to either. I have had a few exchanges with high graded kendoka with bokken and jo and there are moments when we exchange wry smiles when we realise that a slight change in timing would have meant that a strike would have gotten through. Excellent manner of training but NEVER careless.

regards koyo

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Yes, I remember that wry smile while sparring with 2m long kung fu spears, my 'black belt' colleague thrust his spear in the direction of my stomach, I just managed to avoid it but the metal point did make a neat hole in my t-shirt!

How would I have got into an ambulance with a 2m spear sticking out my gut I'll never know :rolleyes:

Louie

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

On the other hand, I have had to first aid then carry my former Tai Chi instructor into Ayrshire General due to a blunt sabre going through her foot because of a seconds lack of concentrate from her training partner.
    That was the day I was glad I kept my first aid kit well stocked, my car would have looked like a slaughter house otherwise.

Also had a knife take part of my cornea off when I was at school but that was a less friendly match. Had to wear an eye patch for weeks.

So all in all, I don't play when it comes to weapons.

The Bear.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  8. RAbid Hamster

I feel that the instructor has a duty of care to his minions. Its up to him to set the conditions to MINIMIZE the predictable F ups cause you can never cover every eventuality.... for example:
    I was a member of an archery club many years ago. The club had excellent safety procedures. A member (tom) was a bit slow on the uptake on many things including only drawing a 'loaded' bow when facing downrange. Correctly facing downrange, he pulled the bow back then decided he wanted to ask a question and turned round to where the rest of were waiting our turns ... with the bow still pulled back. I have never hit the ground so fast.
    So never take chances with the predictable (in fencing always wearing masks) cause the unexpected/stupid will give you enough to handle.

9. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I havent gotten around to watching all the clips but I actaully rather enjoyed the armored sparring. It should be noted that grabing your opponents bade is a very viable option, especially in armor. The first where it is just demoing techniques is also good. But I dont like the ones depicting sparring or freeplay. They are using overly large motions, never mind not using any form of saftey gear, which for drills or demos is fine but for bouting it should be mandatory.

10. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I didn't find the fully armoured video at the bottom very graceous either, but it was interresting non the less. It's hard to look like Legolas when wearing 60+lbs of armor :D

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Some Codex Wallerstein stuff from ARMA Poland:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8hU-SzSxA&feature=related"]longsword technique - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards,

-Mark

12. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I dont like the way they dip their swords back before cutting, especially since I see them stepping out before moving their blades forward. But other than that it looks fairly nice.

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Yup, lots of telegraphing. However, it's hard to find clips of Wallerstein material. :)

-Mark

14. Hidden Ronin

Hidden Ronin New Member

15. RAbid Hamster

the sword always leads, it should start moving before you step as the sword is your only protection. I rant about this EVERY F'ing sunday at GCoD. Ask Bear.

Federschwerts are decent training swords .. its hard to hurt anyone when the centre of percussion is somewhere about 3 feet behind you! :D

The sword should never dip back before the strike ... thats just sloppy and poor technique. Something else I rant about a lot!

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

We rant about the same things. I approve. :)

However, I like it when my opponents move in false times. Makes Nachreissen so much easier!

-Mark

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Gah, that was complete gash!. I'm become increasing alarmed the the shear abount of gash longsword on You Tube. I think we're becoming the new ninjas.

The Bear.

18. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Bunch of ****ing jixes! I'm not going back with all these stories of stabbings!

19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Sorry mate you paid you membership that means your a member until June. Muwhahahahaha.

The Bear.

20. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

:mad:

I should be alright since I was told what end of the sword to hold.