Landon's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LandonS, Oct 26, 2017.

1. LandonS

LandonS Member

SUBJECT TO EDITS OVER THE NEXT WEEK

Long Term Goals

1. Finally have an official fight
    2. Get my v02 max back to within 10% of what it was in college (i will have to dig up an old workout log or recalculate it)
    3. Increase my punching and kicking speed by 10% and 20% respectively
    Medium Term Goals
    1. Increase my squat by 30% (my squat sucks so it shouldnt be hard)
    2. A solid front lever for 10 seconds
    3. Solid flat tuck planche for 15 seconds

Short Term Goals
    1. Miss less than 4 days training in the next month (Ive been incredibly inconsistant and want to get to a point where i can at least claim to be following a routine)
    2. Maintain certain daily dietary habits and add a few. 3 cups of tea/day, omega 3 supps, 2 servings of dairy, zinc supps.
    Training
    Monday: Home training (planche, front lever, grip, conditioning)
    Tuesday: Classes + neck
    Wednesday: Weightlifting + Conditiong + Grip/Forearms
    Thursday: Classes + neck
    Friday: Home Training (planche, front lever, grip, conditioning)
    Saturday: Kickboxing + neck
    Sunday: Rest

I intend to split my training on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays to two short morning and evening sessions so I can focus on one objective at a time and to make the workouts shorter. I also intend to alter my routine slightly bit by bit each week for the first while until Im in full swing and feel there are no holes in my training. Also Im not sure if Ill go to the muai thai gym nearby where I already know people or to the kickboxing gym further away. I feel that the latter has better classes and instruction but doesnt allow for any freestyle gym time. I'll work this out by the end of the week.

Diet
    I'll keep a log and edit in tweaks into here. For now what is in my short term goals is what Ill be doing as far as changing my diet.

Lifestyle
    I do drink a little, maybe 8 beers or less on an average week
    I do smoke a little, I was using the patch but Im almost out and still indulge in about 5-8 smokes each week.
    Stress Level, low on average

Injuries
    My right knee was injured about 10 years ago and can act up at times
    My left shoulder can be prone to getting testy when I do alot of certain types of movements
    Wrists, occassional soreness mostly just cuz of using a heavy nail gun at work, I dont often have to use that sucker much

axelb and Mitch like this.
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How will you objectively measure this?

What is your current max squat? Training the squat should be an absolute priority for all martial artists.

You are doing too much. I would not be surprised with such a routine if you were constantly sore and made little progress. The principles of organising workouts do not change regardless of the sport - a technical or speed workout precedes a strength or endurance workout, a strength workout precedes an exhausting endurance workout, which is then followed by a day of complete rest or active rest - some easy, fun activity. Changing this sequence leads to overtraining.

Mangosteen likes this.
  3. LandonS

LandonS Member

1. Record myself and go frame by frame counting the frames starting from the first indication I will punch or kick.

2. I do have to test my max squat yet, I will test my max after about a month of resuming squats.

3. I have listed objectives to work on and not the actual workouts. Each objective will have a small parcel of time to be worked on and will likely not be what you may consider a full workout for that objective. The actual layout of my program is still in the air as I find where I am at as far as recovery is concerned. What you see is me making a quick attempt at working around the class times as well as factoring in the time I actually have and what I want to work on.

4. LandonS

LandonS Member

THURSDAY

9 hour day at work, a bit more strenuous than usual

Class
    Jump rope
    Varied running
    They covered the basics of punching and kicking

:30 air squat
    :30 roundhouses with 1 leg on bag
    Repeated cycle 4 times

:15 speed drills on bag
    :15 pushups (didnt think to keep track of total pushups)
    Repeated cycle 8 times I think

2 minutes jab-upper jab (just what I call it)-cross
    10 pushups
    2 minutes same combo plus roll under left hook-counter left hook body-cross
    10 pushups
    Rest
    2 minutes jab-right upper-left hook
    10 pushups
    2 minutes same combo plus roll under right hook-counter right hook body-jab
    10 pushups

Stretched

Home
    Wall neck leans front, left, right, back all :30 no rest x3 (45 degree angle for now)

Food
    Breakfast-7:00
    Homemade breakfast sandwhich (egg, sausage, cheese, bagel)
    Xl coffee

Lunch-12:00
    Ham sandwhich (onions, pickles, mustard, banana peppers, spinach, flax bread)
    Homemade protein cookies x4 (the wifey makes em, they have avacado, banana and protein shake in them is all I know)
    Homemade fruit salad (red grapes, pineapple, kiwi, pomegranate)
    Tiny v8 low sodium drink 250ml
    Coffee

After work-5:00
    Protein cookie
    Sip of veggie juice

After class-6:30
    Protein shake 25g

Supper-7:30
    Sadly i thought we still had some chili left over but no....so....
    2/3 a pizza

3 cups tea throuhout the night (chamomile and a chamomile blend)

Lifestyle
    No smokes or alcohol today, sleep last night was terrible cuz the woman kept waking up. Probably 6 hours sleep and thats split up. Was tired at lunch but coffee rocket fuel got me goin again lol

So the class was ok, it was a different guy than the last time, it seemed more like a boxing class than anything. I dislike classes cuz i can get alot more work in in the same amount of time solo but i have to make due in this town without an oldschool boxing gym like im used to...i also have to learn to kick :p. Pretty tame day but thats good getting back into it. Had a contrast shower cuz i know my chest will be sore tomorrow.

5. LandonS

LandonS Member

FRIDAY

Home Training 7:30pm
    Flat Tuck Front Lever 10s hold
    Planche Lean 10s hold
    60s rest
    X6

15 squeezes with "medium" gripper
    50 squeezes with light gripper
    Repeateded for the other hand
    No rest other than the rest 1 hand gets while the other is working
    X3

Resisted Isometric wrist extension hold 60s
    no rest other than the rest 1 hand gets while the other is working
    X3

Food
    Breakfast-
    Whey protein 25g
    Homemade breakfast sandwhich same as yesterday
    Zinc supp
    Apple cider vinegar supp
    Xl coffee

Lunch-
    Chili
    Vector bar
    V8 low sodium
    Hoemmade fruit salad: red grapes, kiwi, pineapple, mango
    Magnesium supp
    Apple cider vinegar supp

Supper-
    Homemade enchiladas (no idea really what she put in it)
    Apple cider vinegar supp

2 cups of tea throughout the night
    Zinc supp before bed

Lifestyle
    1 smoke today at lunch. Stress low. Probably 7.5 hours sleep. My chest was pretty sore but it didnt limit anything really. It just feels like a workout and not training without doing any drills or shadowboxing. Ill work in some daily skillz stuff in the future some old drills I used to do and possibly some morning shadowboxing before work.

6. LandonS

LandonS Member

Saturday
    5 rounds shadowboxing

Did a light day, Im just getting back into it and also came down with a cold. Go figure, havent been sick all year and I get sick now :-/. Lamen I hate you.

Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    10 second flat tuck front lever
    10 second planche lean
    x6 (60s rest)

5 rounds shadowboxing

Feeling pretty good today, now if I could have recovered properly over the weekend my chest wouldnt still be sore lol.

Just an update on the whole smokes and alcohol part of the log. still havent smoked, still havent drank anything. As for food Ive been taking my supps and eating well. I was putting this all in with my ipad before but now I have a better way so it takes much less time (ipad is horribly slow since its ancient), I say this because I was thinking of dropping the food log but Ill keep it in.

Food
    7:00am
    breakfast sandwhich (homemade)
    coffee
    zinc, fish oil, apple cider vinegar

12:00am
    squash lasagna (homemade)
    vector bar
    v8 low sodium (250ml)
    fruit salad (pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, red grapes)
    magnesium, apple cider vinegar, fish oil

5:00pm
    3 white chocolate cookies mmmmmmm

6:00pm
    Chicken breast
    yam fries (homemade)
    garden salad, italian dressing
    cup of tea (no idea what kind...was kind of a blend of whatever was in the loose tea holder in the teapot)

8:00pm on
    2 cups camomile tea
    cup of milk

Meat 3-4
    Fruit 3
    Veg 4-5
    Dairy 2
    Grain 2

NOTE to self. My lunch is hyuge at times, gotta shift the food around so I eat more at breakfast. Also need to start weighing myself tomorrow morning and do my best to estimate my current bf%

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

What would you consider a acceptable squat max for a martial artist, bw wise and why the squat over say the deadlift or power lean?

8. LandonS

LandonS Member

Tuesday

Was halloween so any time after work was taken up with face paint, handing out candy, finishing off my pumpkin etc. Plus there was no class that day as well.

Wednesday
    10s Flat tuck front lever hold
    10s planche lean hold
    x6

Thursday

Jump rope
    Warm up running drills

:30 speed drill on bag
    :30 hard straights on bag
    repeated 3 times I think

There where some random pushups throughout the class, I just can't remember now where they where inserted since its been a few days

Worked jab, left uppercut body, overhand right alot
    Isolated different parts of it and drilled it some more
    Worked it with a parter defending and attacking

Work jab, right uppercut body, overhand left alot
    also isolated different parts of it and drilled it some more
    Worked it with a partner defending and attacking

More technique work

Friday

5 rounds shadowboxing

Saturday

Went early and jumped rope and shadowboxed, worked on some old footwork drills of mine mostly

Class started so:
    Jump rope
    Warm up running drills
    20 pushups

:30 straight punches on bag
    x3

:30 leg raises
    :30 plank
    x3
    10 pushups
    pushup middle position hold until everyone finished

Jab cross technique
    Worked on basic footwork and circling
    integrated that with the jab cross and drilled it forward and backwards
    also did a simple distancing drill for the jab cross with a partner

Teep kick technique
    Worked it on the bag

Jab, teep kick technique
    Also worked it on the bag

Worked a southpaw version of teep kick or a switch teep kick (whatever u call it lol I dunno Im just a silly boxer trying to learn kickboxing/muay thai)
    Worked it on the bag

Drilled doing teep kick after teep kick switching legs moving forwards
    Did it on the bag as well

I stayed after class and worked the bags a working a bit on what we worked on that day and just kinda shaking off the rust from other stuff. That was another 20 minutes of just some light technical bag work.

9. LandonS

LandonS Member

MONDAY

5 rounds shadowboxing

Im drilling jab-left upper body (moving left off centerline)-right overhand- left hook. Ive always been way on the outside boxing so my uppercuts are maybe not so good and awkward. I switched partway through to just drilling the jab and uppercut. If I were just standing throwing itd be totally fine but im stepping with the uppercut too while moving off centerline and I find it awkward. Feels like the combo would work well, havent sparred at this gym yet so Ill try it first sparring day. The owner kept saying "1 month trial" so I may have to wait a month before that happens, well see. Oh and between rounds I practiced teeps.

10. LandonS

LandonS Member

TUESDAY

stretched
    jump rope
    running drills (had pushups mixed in there this time)

rest
    x2

:30 speed drill (bag)
    :30 straight punches (bag)
    :30 speed drill
    :30 straight punches
    10 pushups
    rest

1-2 distancing partner drill

teep practice
    teep practice on bag
    teep practice on partner (light obviously)

did the same as above with the lead leg, right roundhouse (low), left roundhouse (low), same leg teep and roundhouse both sides.

25 right roundhouse as fast as possible
    2 laps around gym
    25 left roundhouse
    2 laps
    25 right teep
    2 laps
    25 left teep
    2 laps

light shadowboxing for a bit and that was the class.

stayed and hit the bag and shadowboxed for 20 minutes after class working on combos from previous classes and my kicks, also tried working kicks into a few of my own combos. the kicks feel best in my own combos when I use straight punches and match sides of the punch with the kick. Ill keep at that but work on the opposite as well. The combo I said felt awkward yesterday felt good today.

11. LandonS

LandonS Member

Wednesday

Nothing, my bicep tendons where a bit sore. Ive had this frequently before so it sounds like its more of a thing than it is. Usually happens when Ive been shadowboxing alot.

Thursday

got to class a bit early and worked on kicks on the heavybag for a while then...

jump rope
    running drills

5 rounds of:
    :30 pushups
    :30 straight punches on bag (hard)
    :30 rest

me and 2 guys paired up for the pads section of the class since we had an odd number. 1 would hold pads for one guy while the other would work the same combo on the bag and wed switch part way through.

jab, left upper body, overhand right
    same plus roll under left hook and throw your own left hook body, cross
    same plus left roundhouse

did it all again with the left roundhouse at the end of each combo, on the third that already included the left roundhouse we added a right elbow....I somehow missed that part so I wound up doing the same combo as last time but whatever Im still working on getting my kicks and hands working together (when will they just get along? lol). after working each combo we did 10 pushups

then we all lined up and threw jab, left uppercut moving forward the whole time, probably so he could just make corrections to form if he saw any. then we did the same but adding the overhand.

lots of pushups today. that left roundhouse just suuucked...

axelb likes this.
  12. LandonS

LandonS Member

FRIDAY

5 rounds shadowboxing
    did 10 pushups between rounds and whatever time was left I spent in the frog splits

so I spent most of my time working on the combos we did last night to try to fix the lead roundhouse. figured out my stance would narrow as I threw the punches leading up to it so when I took my step to the left it wouldnt open my hips up as much so my kick sucked. So I worked on fixing that as soon as I realized it and kept at it for the remainder of all the rounds. still need more time with it to make it right. I figured id start doing something productive between rounds when I shadowbox since its not very intense shadowboxing since im working specific things usually.

13. LandonS

LandonS Member

SATURDAY

5 rounds shadoboxing
    10 pushups between rounds and the rest of the....rest...was spent in frog splits

1st round was all lead roundhouse, 2nd was cross or overhand right plus roundhouse, then i put the uppercut to the body before it, then the jab before that, and repeated the same for the last round.

So i realized the step to my right did help my kick feel better when Im just kicking at air but if I had something in front of me to hit itd just be super awkward again like when I did pads cuz my kick would have almost nowhere to go side to side so I changed it to a smaller step, maybe a few inches and put a mark on the wall as a "target" and I think i may have it mostly right this time. I wont know until I can kick pads again to know for sure but Ill run with this for now.

kickboxing class was cancelled today for rememberance day.

14. LandonS

LandonS Member

SUNDAY

5 rounds shadowboxing

same format as yesterday only i changed the stretch to the one where you kinda squat down on one leg and the other is sticking straight out to the side and toes pointed up, did each leg for 20 seconds between rounds along with the pushups. I checked out a few videos on different lead roundhouse kicks and I think whats expected of us in the combo im working on is a karate style roundhouse, seems like the only thing that fits with the space were given with it. So I did that today which is kinda what I did yesterday only this time it was more deliberate. Im speeding up but noticed my right started to turn into an arm punch when I sped the whole thing up.

I tried a drill that was mentioned in one of the vids I watched..grab a hold of something like a railing and lean back pointing your knee where you want to kick and hold it there and flick your kick out and do it a bunch of times. I really need to work on flexibility in my legs cuz unless I plan on roundhousing a guy to the nuts repeatedly van damme style this isnt gonna cut it. When I do it all together dynamically i can kick higher but this way totally exposes my inability to lift my knee high.

axelb likes this.
  15. LandonS

LandonS Member

MONDAY

20-30 minutes stretching just my legs/hips/groin
    5 rounds shadowboxing

same format as before stretching and pushups between rounds, same combos. The last round I shadowboxed freeform and peppered in the combo Ive been working on. Worked on inserting kicks into different parts of different combos (beginning, middle, end sort of thing). Wish I had more space cuz after my combos all I can really do is move back to the wall. Maybe Ill just move even more stuff out of the room, its practically empty as it is but I could gain a little floor space. I dont want to get in the habit of using predictable footwork. I wont be able to make classes this week I dont think, my work is in the next town over and Ill be doing 11 hour days and getting how halfway through the class :-(. I'll try to make up for it here. Ill be able to hit the kickboxing class on saturday at least tho. I just hope nobody writes me off as a flake since I just started there and now I have to miss a few classes.

16. LandonS

LandonS Member

TUESDAY

:30 straight punches on heavybag
    :30 straight punches

then

held pads for partner then I these on the pads:
    2 rounds straight right-lead roundhouse
    1 round shadowboxing it
    2 rounds jab, right roundhouse
    1 round shadowboxing it

25 lead roundhouse
    2 laps
    25 rear roundhouse
    2 laps

stayed for a while after class and just worked kicks on the heavybag.

K so I showed up a little late cuz of work but I made it just at the tail end of the warm up just in time for the good stuff. So I guess my coach liked my cross-leadroundhouse cuz he used me to demonstrate for the class how to do it however he did give me a tweak...Im flicking it out too much and need to get my hips in there more. Glad to know my work on that combo paid off tho and got me this close to doing it right. Ill keep at it but work on my right round a bit more as well. Oh and I dont do it often but when I shadowbox with the kick I shouldnt spin all the way around which is kind of a no brainer, but once in a while Ill over rotate so I need to work on that as well. At least thats one advantage to the room I use for my shadowboxing, if I spin I'll probably break something.

axelb likes this.
  17. LandonS

LandonS Member

THURSDAY

kicked the bag for a while before class just working technique, mostly roundhouses. note if my legs bent more when I contact the bag it puts my hips into it more.

jump rope
    running drills

x2

1-2 partner drill

:30 1-2's
    :30 speed drills
    :30 1-2's
    x2

alternated between mitts+body pad, shadowboxing and heavybag with these combos
    1-teep right
    2-teep left

finished with shadowboxing alternating the two

So I realized my teeps off. watching the instructor his foot kind of gradually gets up to its highest point and thats where he hits. So its at its highest point only for impact. Where Ive been doing my teep with my foot kinda moving straight out from my body at its target where his comes up at an angle. Played with it today in class and it feels faster, mine feels more powerful but you could probably see it coming a mile away so it does me no good if it wouldnt land. Its kind of annoying that whenever theres a kick in a combo my technique for the punch before it deteriorates because Im already thinking of my kick, foot positioning etc. Itll come with time to be sure but its still annoying lol.

My energy before class was abysmal, almost fell asleep twice, head swung back n everything only the sensation of falling woke me up lol. Been working way too much lately. On the plus side I havent smoked basically since I started this log so thats awesome. Ive been struggling with quitting for about 6 months and been doing well but never quite making past a week without a smoke and then once I had one the next 2 weeks where a write off where Id have 1 or 2 most days. So, yay for that.

Nachi likes this.
  18. LandonS

LandonS Member

FRIDAY

5 rounds shadowboxing

Kind of free form today but focused on the combos weve done in class so far which Ive been writing on a dry erase board in my workout/gaming den. I feel like Im losing my punches amidst all these kicks so I may start to break up my shadowboxing a bit, do a few rounds just hands, then mix in some short combos like the 1-right kick (teep or round) or 2-left kick (teep or round) and same side combos which I find feel more natural than opposite side combos with the kicks like 1-left kick and 2-right kick, then a couple rounds drilling the crap out of what was in the last classes...Im going to remember I put this in the log today and play with the format until tuesdays class and see if I can nail anything down that feels right.

axelb likes this.
  19. LandonS

LandonS Member

SATURDAY

kicked the bag and shadowboxed a bit before class

running drills (more elaborate than before, had reaction drills and different footworks in it, I really liked it, ended with piggybacking our partner around the gym for a bunch of laps)
    partner drills:
    1-right round
    2-left round
    1-right teep
    2-left teep
    catch and return jab
    guard rear round
    guard rear round counter left teep
    swipe left teep
    1-catch jab-right round-guard right round-counter left teep-swipe left teep
    ^^^^^the bolded part was what one partner did while the other did the unbolded, we would alternate who did what....****....so bad at these more complicated drills especially when Im trying to use what I JUST learned lol and apparently we where NOT trying to hit with the jab in this combo (just draw a reaction) so I was waay to close when Id throw my right round and I was kinda thick and not getting what they meant by how I was too close until they told me that im not trying to hit with the jab.

During the catch and return portion I was paired up with a guy who actually fights and is having lots. the first round or two I was with people who just threw the jab without any intent on hitting me so I was just kinda lalala you know just going through the motions and he woke me up lol then it was alot of fun cuz we actually would do the drill and try to catch each other, I was forced to just go straight forwards and back though mostly cuz the way the class was set up with people in lines and close together but it was still fun.

20. LandonS

LandonS Member

SUNDAY

Rest

It wasnt really supposed to be rest but I was in the midst of alot of drama since thursday so ambition was a bit low that day probably because of the drama which had just subsided.

MONDAY

2 rounds shadowboxing (boxing)
    2 rounds basic 2 strike punch-kick combos
    2 rounds shadowboxing "free form"

each round followed by 10 pushups. No stretches since that day I did 30 minutes of stretching just on my hips/groin Ive had a sore spot just under my left glute so Ive been avoiding stretching mostly. Its almost gone. Ill return to stretching after but Ill be a bit more gentle with myself from now on.

I feel pretty repetitive with my shadowboxing (boxing) so I'll work on that during those rounds, Ill add a few combos to my whiteboard for those rounds specifically as a reminder to work them into the mix. I felt like I needed more rounds with the 2 strike punch-kick combos but stuck with the plan. The free form felt pretty decent, it lets me work out an idea what I should do in sparring and Im trying to maximize my use of the limited space I have with footwork instead of just drilling combos going forward and back.

With the boxing and free form rounds its definitely more strenuous as far as cardio goes since theres alot less "do the combo twice, step backwards across the room for space and do it again"ness.